Area loading screen crashes with "Exception", especially in Highgate

This problem is not caused by memory or by a 32 bit OS.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit with 16 GB of memory and I get the same exception boxes I can't see, followed with a Visual C++ error box that I also can't see. I can't play the game for more than 2 minutes before it crashes.
"
McMatch wrote:
This problem is not caused by memory or by a 32 bit OS.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit with 16 GB of memory and I get the same exception boxes I can't see, followed with a Visual C++ error box that I also can't see. I can't play the game for more than 2 minutes before it crashes.

Please create your own thread with your own exception and error details.

Not all exceptions are the same and different circumstances have different solutions.
"
Drakier wrote:

Not all exceptions are the same and different circumstances have different solutions.

We'll see about that.

I was able to read the exception message, something about running out of memory (which is obviously a false positive, according to my 16 GB of memory) and a font error.

I made my research and it seems the latest version of EVGA Precision X is the culprit. For some reason it is incompatible with Path of Exile. This seems to have solved the problem on my end, I haven't crashed the game since I deactivated Precision X.
"
McMatch wrote:
We'll see about that.

I was able to read the exception message, something about running out of memory (which is obviously a false positive, according to my 16 GB of memory) and a font error.

I made my research and it seems the latest version of EVGA Precision X is the culprit. For some reason it is incompatible with Path of Exile. This seems to have solved the problem on my end, I haven't crashed the game since I deactivated Precision X.

Exactly my point.

Your circumstance would have lead me to ask if you had PrecisionX installed (specifically because of the font error).

Each circumstance has to be looked at independently which is why we ask people to post their own threads and to not get mixed up into things which "seem" the same. Each situation has to be verified and validated on its own without having a bunch of people saying "me too" when their issues are actually different due to different configurations or things.

If you hadn't had the font error and you were on a 32-bit OS or had less than 4GB of RAM, it would almost certainly actually be a memory issue. But in your case, you already found the solution. In the future, please create your own thread and be very detailed in your description... including posting the full error messages you receive as well as PC information if relevant (OS, hardware, etc).

Good luck!
Last edited by Drakier on Jul 31, 2015, 10:55:26 AM
I've tested -gc 2 and -gc 1 now, and the problem persists. It may have improved a bit, meaning I can teleport to Highgate one time more sometimes, but it will be hard to compare. Perhaps it's also a bit better in Act 3, while Highgate is still the worst spot.

I'll try to install 2 more GB Ram, meaning my 32Bit-Windows will use 3 GB of it, Then I'll try to use the remaining GB as ramdisk for a part of the swap file with "Gavotte Ramdisk": http://www.jensscheffler.de/using-gavotte-ramdisk-in-windows-7
Last edited by BlackRainbow666 on Aug 1, 2015, 5:31:46 PM
Since my Mainboard didn't accept 2*2 GB Memory, I now run it with 3 GB in Single Mode instead of Dual Channel.
The ramdisk idea wouldn't have been that easy anyway because it would have screwed the hibernate mode with the pagefile on the ramdisk.

Path of Exile runs a bit better with 3 GB instead of 2. Especially Alt-Tabbing is not a big problem anymore (at least in town areas).

The Exception crashes occur after far more loading screens in act 1-3, nearly eradicating the problem there. In Act 4 it still crashes more frequently, now after the 3rd or 4th Highgate-visit instead of the 2nd. What is wrong with Act 4 and how can it be improved?

By the way, the latest patch said something about improved memory management, but I'm not sure this changed anything here.
Black,

If you run in windowed fullscreen, alt tabbing won't be any sort of problem at all. Downside is that there have been some funny goings on with fullscreen windowed. Lag spikes and some odd behaviors....but no crashes (I run full screen windowed)

Act 4 has a ton more textures etc etc etc that you can't do anything about, except add more memory :/
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
It seems POE is finally dead for me with Ascendancy. I mean, come on! The exceptions only occur, if I have to enter too many different loading screens, and what do you add to the labyrinth? Loading screens inside ONE area ... PLUS I cannot even resume to the Point where the Labyrinth crashed, because it starts all over again.

How hard can it be to tell a game it doesn't have to crash, if running out of memory, but to clear the memory? Even a button to manually clear the memory would help.

If you still can't solve the problem technically, the possibility to resume the labyrinth at the last point would be a workaround (condition: the character didn't die). Until that, playing doesn't make sense for me. I couldn't even chose an Ascendancy Class yet, because it's impossible to finish one labyrinth.
Last edited by BlackRainbow666 on Mar 5, 2016, 3:00:54 PM
Damn, I have the same issue since upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (clean installation). I have 16GB ram and PoE installed on SSD. On Win7 I've had this issue only when I've entered Highgate after killing Dominus then used portal to town. Now I also have this issue in random places, not only portals or loading screens :( I'm thinking of getting back to Windows 7.
With the latest performance improvements (2.2.1e?) the labyrinth is finally playable for me :) - at least with very minimalistic textures. Haven't tested medium textures yet.

I was able to complete the labyrinth 3 times in a row. Game loading time also improved.
(On a 3 GB XP System, 2,66 GHz Athlon Doublecore, AMD Radeon HD6670 (1024 MB))

Thanks so far, hope it turns out to improve even more and will work with better textures, too.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info