[2.0] Ruinkind's Frost Blades - Dagger Crit (HC/Tempest League)

Hello everybody!

I thought I'd share my Frost Blades ranger character, since there seems to be not much love for the skill, :).

Just a reminder, this build is designed for hardcore, not uber sick deeps

I do have a goal of getting this character to run off of mana, maybe when I have Lioneye's Vision online I'll think on that more (400 jewellers no 6s... GGG Plz). Replacing blood magic with fortify would improve survivability heaps.

Some updated notes on running mana with this character... I was testing mana leech at 1% phys with 10% increased leech rate (mana pool x .225 /3), it is possible to regen just enough mana on this setup to run a 5L, probably need Essence Sap for a 6L without BM.

If you have any suggestions, ideas, or questions for the character/thread, please let me know.

Gameplay Video

Sorry for the rambled thoughts, first PoE build video I've done, :).

Build Overview

Level 75 Map - 20 Exile Tempest

Links

Main Ability:

4L Frost Blades + Weapon Elemental Damage + Multistrike + Blood Magic

5L Frost Blades + Weapon Elemental Damage + Multistrike + Blood Magic + Lesser Multiple Projects/Fork/Chain

6L Frost Blades + Weapon Elemental Damage + Multistrike + Blood Magic + Lesser Multiple Projects/Fork/Chain + Hypothermia/Added Fire/Fortify

The 5L choices depend on a few options in my opinion.

Are you running pierce? LMP/Fork
Do you have a really good weapon? Chain

Personally LMP+Pierce passives in combination with Point Blank does an amazing job with clear speed without too much damage sacrifice for my tastes.

Quickly on the 6L choices, I have yet to try out hypothermia, as I do not own a 6L in tempest league, but it sounds really promising, being a more multiplier.

Single Target:

The best choice I've found with how heavily I've invested into projectile nodes as well as point blank has been a molten strike. Frenzy is also another obvious choice.

4L Molten Strike + Weapon Elemental Damage + Multistrike + Blood Magic

Auras/Heralds:

Herald of Ice + Curse on Hit + Assassins Mark

Hatred + Arctic Armour

Another note on aura's, if you only can get your hands on a ele dagger, you might want to run triple heralds instead of hatred.

With a much better weapon than I, also with the flaying node, you could probably run a curse on hit + herald of ice or thunder setup and replace that 50% reserve with a grace aura without feeling the DPS loss. Probably only applies those who want to live in high level maps, =p.

CWDT Setup:

Low level CWDT: CWDT + Enfeeble or Warlords Mark
Keep it level 5 or under, you want this curse to proc everytime you encounter trouble. If its reflect, warlords, if its packs getting in your face, enfeeble.

High level CWDT: CWDT + Immortal Call + Frost Golem
I run a max level, but keep it relative to your HP. I like it to proc when I take a sizeable hit.

This is the best way I've found to keep that stupid golem active.

I personally prefer warlords 2% leech to help with reflect, and to provide the ability to sustain longer on bosses.

Utility Gems:

Whirling Blades + Enduring Cry + Blood Rage + Blood Magic

I'd really like to squeeze a fortify in my whirling blades setup somewhere, but I can't find the room till I switch over to mana.

Gear

Remember when looking for gear, you will need to reach 155 int to run a level 20/21 herald of thunder. I usually pickup a 30 int node until I get a bit on gear.

That line is a bit outdated, I recently traded out my HoT + CoH + Assassin's Mark setup for the new aura setup listed above.

Notable possible uniques (if you think of more, I'll add them to the list):

Blood Dances
Brinerot Whalers
Lioneye's Vision
Maligaro's Gloves
Rat's Nest

Definitely need some upgrades in some areas, but overall the gear is acceptable to me.

Leveling

I'd recommend leveling with a simple dual strike + wildstrike or reave setup till you have point blank and pierce nodes, which I did not pickup till the level 70 range.

Wild Strike + Weapon Elemental Damage + Multistrike + Blood Magic

Wild Strike you have to pickup at 28, so until then you may or may not want to suffer leveling with frost blades.

Those links will carry you for awhile.

Remember, you can use any one handed weapon or dual wield to increase your range of upgrades well leveling, until you spec specifically into a weapon set.

Frost blades is seriously lacking until that point.

Passives

Depending on your league or how yolo you want to jewel up, I personally look for HP/Crit/Phys/APS, in pretty well that order.

So far Vaal Pact does not seem needed with my current gear, but time will tell if we have to change pathing to accommodate for Vaal Pact.

Current Passives @ 89

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAAF4DHgSxBS0F-QceCC4NjRGWFHUV8Ba_GNsZjh9BIWAj9iaVKaUqCyzhLlMyATY9QKBDMUcGR35JUUp9TGBNklVLVvVbr2HiYetirGVNZ6BsCGyMbWxwUnBWdO108XXLelN67311feOE2Yd2jDaNfY1-joqP-pAblS6VZpXMl9CaE5smm42cxJ2qo4qkwqZ_rGav67Gzshm0xbVItyK5Pr02vqfNmM960NDTb9N-18vYdtrB227b1Nvn45_l5ud06NbqYu0_7UHtg-4O73rw1fGK8-r5Y_zF_ro=?accountName=Terroth&characterName=Liciya

Passives with Lioneye's Vision

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAm42v6wgu7YMZjgBe0359de96_rruDvzFo4oNjSP2-WNMYFuvh3aNfU2SFfCVzASx18tOKhR1Z6DjnwX57T-VZj3iTP8j0xjbpMJKfZsmQzFvJ3Tx6NYyAdrBmmopped0shkuU4TvdO1tbM9602-i6mLsBS21SDY9YesS4U1Geu-mf_Pqnap6U8GC7UEqC2KsbIwvzLGzcFK0xYTZFr_b50d-Ax4mlWwIRwa9Nh9BYeLxith20NBlTVVLuT5W9Y_6vqeMNqxm227w1XXLLOGX0JUuSVHqYn3jjooHHhGWkBtwVpoT29Q=

Passives without Lioneye's Vision

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAm42v6wgu7YMZjgBe0359de96_rruDvzFo4oNjSP2-WNMYFuvh3aNfU2SFfCVzASxTioUdWeg458F-e0_lWZM_yPTGNukwkp9myZDMW8ndPHo1jIBjX7awZpqKaUFtbIZzZguU3TtwuzPeupi028FLSpbtMVh63XLeu959mKs2-d6U76nQzadqmyMbAhHBmVNUuw2PfGK2HbQ0L02bWy5Plb1j_pHfrVIrGbbbvDVhNmmf_PqLOGX0JUuSVHtQSoLfeOOigcesbNwUhGWFr-QGwMeJpVwVh9BYeKaE1VL29SMNg==

Bandits

Oak
Oak
Oak

In cruel, the passive point might be better value if you are trying to min-max with jewels being so incredibly powerful.

As for merciless difficulty, I'd pick whatever charge you prefer. There isn't really a bad choice for your character.

Last edited by Terroth on Jul 31, 2015, 9:34:18 PM
I was like "Ruinkind runs a dagger Frost Blades spec..." and then checked the YT vid.

edit: I ran a similar build today, hit 50,000 tooltip on Frost Blades with Double Doryani's. 16,000 armor, 4 e-charges, Fortify as well. But, running 75+ maps means being constantly lowlife. Bazaar boss charged at me for 4,000 damage, got stunned, 2nd ribbon and K.O. That specific map had zero damage mods. I didn't use Abyssus. Just a hint that you might rethink your defenses.
[2.4] Riff Raff - under 1ex Reave RT DoT Gladiator: http://poeurl.com/C6q
Last edited by Weißenberg on Jul 23, 2015, 6:05:36 PM
"
Weißenberg wrote:
I was like "Ruinkind runs a dagger Frost Blades spec..." and then checked the YT vid.

edit: I ran a similar build today, hit 50,000 tooltip on Frost Blades with Double Doryani's. 16,000 armor, 4 e-charges, Fortify as well. But, running 75+ maps means being constantly lowlife. Bazaar boss charged at me for 4,000 damage, got stunned, 2nd ribbon and K.O. That specific map had zero damage mods. I didn't use Abyssus. Just a hint that you might rethink your defenses.

That seems... intense. Realistically, how much more can one do? If went full acro you'd probably get close to 1 shot if a hit got through, you'd have 213% HP with jewels as well.

Enfeeble sounds like a must.
Can we get a crude leveling path and what kind of skills you used while leveling? This looks awesome for my reroll character.
"
Terroth wrote:
"
Weißenberg wrote:

That seems... intense. Realistically, how much more can one do? If went full acro you'd probably get close to 1 shot if a hit got through, you'd have 213% HP with jewels as well.

Enfeeble sounds like a must.
I currently play an evasion based melee character (Oro's Cleaver, I even posted a mini guide) and with really solid life and evasion level-wise I get dozens of close calls. If not Vaal Pact I'd have reeped way more than those three times (it's a Warband character).

I'd say try running Blood Rage for leech and Enfeeble for some additional defense. You might wanna toss a point or two at block. It's mostly physical attack damage that's really dangerous.
[2.4] Riff Raff - under 1ex Reave RT DoT Gladiator: http://poeurl.com/C6q
"
Morilindel wrote:
Can we get a crude leveling path and what kind of skills you used while leveling? This looks awesome for my reroll character.

Put up a simple tree for you, :)!
Updated a few of the passive trees and gem setups.
Thanks for writing this up! I came back to poe for awakening and the first ability I tried was frost blades... didn't manage to get it working too well so I left it and played another build. I've given it another shot using your build and its working great :D

Level 72 at the moment so still a lot of damage nodes to pick up but I got myself a Bino's dagger so I'm blasting through enemies now. Just need to get my hands on a Lioneye's Vision.

Having a lot of fun with the character, thanks again!
Hi there, i want to folow your build but i am almost new to the game and have some questions:
1) using blood magic without life leech is ok? i do not see how you can not kill yourself,
2) when you make the change from your leveling skill to your main skill?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info