What is the point of master race in class discussion?

I stopped reading class forums around 1.5 years ago because nearly every thread either asks to suggest a build or shows a build with XXXk dps, most of which comes from unique items/gems or exploiting an unbalanced mechanic that will be nerfed in the next update.

A short history.
1. CI builds, nerfed many times.
2. SPORK builds, nerfed many times.
3. Minion builds, nerfed many times.
4. Curses builds, nerfed many times.
5. Auras builds, nerfed many times.
6. Block rate builds, nerfed many times
x. Many other builds i forgot now.

Summary is: as soon as there is a build that is better than others solely based on skill gem / passive skill combination - next update will usually nerf it.

Some other people get super rare items or gems and make threads about how they have 6 digits DPS and can kill everything.
Summary is: if you have too many OP items - game becomes easy. There are also a lot of 3rd party websites selling currency and items for cash, but probably these two are not related.

Summary of summaries. In class discussion forums people mostly:
- show unbalanced setups that will be nerfed in the next update;
- show how characters with very OP items kill everything fast.

In both cases the point of it is to show everyone - i am better than the rest because i have XXXXXX DPS and cleared a map in XX seconds. Basically it is purely a show-off and is not interesting or useful to anyone, except naive newcomers who think they can achieve that based on passive skill build and common gems.

In my opinion to make class forums useful again - need to switch from DPS show-off to actually discussing build mechanics, achieved with common equipment and powered with unique items.
The other reason i don't read class forums is because generally i know what build i will be making and won't look into other people's builds. It is mostly newcomers who read build threads, but they don't have enough currency (unless they buy from RMT) to put a unique item in every slot and a 20% quality lv20 gem into every socket.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ixthUA
Last edited by ixthUA on Jul 23, 2015, 12:08:26 PM
You're asking people not to be people. I'm much more wary of those that avoid showing off, those are often unbalanced individuals with problems in expressing their emotions, usually end up either violent or suicidal.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
You're asking people not to be people. I'm much more wary of those that avoid showing off, those are often unbalanced individuals with problems in expressing their emotions, usually end up either violent or suicidal.

I lol'd :D
To all the girls in the red high-heeled shoes,
they took all our money and stole all our boos.
They ain't got their cherries, but that's no sin,
they still got the box the cherry came in!
Last edited by Tobias1501 on Jul 23, 2015, 12:20:13 PM
Why? I've got the barstool psychology down pat :)

"
raics wrote:

I thought it's obvious, but showing off, greed, hunger, anger, love and other emotions belong to the animal part of the human being.
Humans are above animals because they can learn, invent and improve.
For me when builds are only about getting more items and levels and then getting into the Top DPS List - it is just boring. I mean isn't it obvious that if someone get's very OP items or some unbalanced gems/passives setup - he will have high DPS. No need to go through all efforts of farming/buying items just to prove that.
Naively i thought that other people want more than just showing off with cool items and high dps numbers. But i have to say that exploring, learning and inventing feels great too.
Last edited by ixthUA on Jul 23, 2015, 1:59:35 PM
"
ixthUA wrote:
I thought it's obvious, but showing off, greed, hunger, anger, love and other emotions belong to the animal part of the human being.

I'm calling that the 'integral' part :)

You know, some say we taste better than pork, I'm willing to allow that as a sign of superiority.

There are a couple good builds in those subforums, but by now pretty much everyone knows about them. Imo sharing builds is cool, but this game is really about paving your own way and making your own character. Facerolling high level content with someone else's build just isn't quite the same as trial and error with your own style. Especially if it's a gear dependent build.

What's really useful are the >1ex builds that people post that are capable of farming maps level 70-78 with cheap gear. Call it overpowered if you want, but it's those builds that allow players to generate the currency needed to experiment and have fun with their own builds later in the season.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
"
ixthUA wrote:

Humans are above animals because they can learn, invent and improve.

No.
Humans are above animals because they have opposable thumbs. Lets see one of those smart dolphins play mario kart on a nintendo.

BTW does forming a belief system on some specific forum by refusing to even look at it for 1.5 years fall under the concept of learning or is it more inventing?
"
raics wrote:
I'm calling that the 'integral' part :)

You know, some say we taste better than pork, I'm willing to allow that as a sign of superiority.

Unlike pork some humans go into science and invent new things like computers.
"
Nasreth wrote:
There are a couple good builds in those subforums, but by now pretty much everyone knows about them. Imo sharing builds is cool, but this game is really about paving your own way and making your own character. Facerolling high level content with someone else's build just isn't quite the same as trial and error with your own style. Especially if it's a gear dependent build.

What's really useful are the >1ex builds that people post that are capable of farming maps level 70-78 with cheap gear. Call it overpowered if you want, but it's those builds that allow players to generate the currency needed to experiment and have fun with their own builds later in the season.

I think i have seen all of those good cheap builds being nerfed, starting from CBT in 2012 (back then i just kept track of the game since it was P2P).
As soon as a lot of people start using a certain gem or passive setup - GGG nerfs it in the next big update.
Both items and gems are being devauated by nerfs and introducing new items and gems.
If someone goes the path of <1EX build to farm currency to afford specific items:
- their build will likely be nerfed soon and no longer viable, may be less than a month and up to several months;
- the items they buy are likely to be nerfed in the next big update, which usually takes several months;
- they will never get into top, because generally will follow someone's build and will never catch them up.
Expensive items are not required to experiment or enjoy the game. I guess people are being lured by the idea of easy lv70 content or getting into the top list. But especially the 2nd part will not happen.

I think that GGG does not like when people focus on one specific build and abandon other builds/skills, so as long as people keep being attracted to easy DPS - the cycle i described above will repeat.
Last edited by ixthUA on Jul 23, 2015, 2:28:07 PM
"
ixthUA wrote:
Unlike pork some humans go into science and invent new things like computers.

Fascinating.

You know, some of the greatest tragedies of human kind happened because some smartass confused being different with being superior :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info