Why is GGG so against people getting level 100?

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
We're not playing the game you've made, we're playing the game called PoE. If you think your game would be better, make it.

Yes because everyone can code an entire video game on the same scale as this one entirely on their own.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Faendris wrote:
I very much prefer a soft-cap. In fact I would really like it, if there were no hard level cap at all. Rather I would like to see an exponential increase in XP needed for the next level. That way you can spend forever increasing the power of your character.

That is exactly what I think would work best too. Have the cap be 100 and we view it as a "softcap", adjust all levels so Merciless final act boss be a level 100 zone and then we could play maps forever until we drop dead if desired.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
I never expect or want to get to 100. It's just an (excessive) number. Everything works just as good at 90.

What I do expect with my lvl ~90 endgame char, is to climb the map pyramid and defeat most of the available content. I cant do that if content access has been severely nerfed because someone might hit that number 100 too soon (I don't think this is the real reason, but lets say it is)

So now, because an irrelevant little number of people reached 100 "too fast" and they get bored on their twitch channels, we will nerf content access for everyone. What? It's ridiculous. Back in open beta (solo) players were severely blocked at ~18% of the map content (last two tiers). Now you are cut off from ~30%/40% of maps (several tiers), no matter what you do: roll high quantity, roll for magic mobs, full clear, chisel, sac frags...

Looting in this game sucks, it always sucked. I never expect to loot anything good, gear-wise. What was keeping me entertained for the past years (since 1.02 patch that removed OB horrible maze-system), was looting maps. I enjoy looting maps, so I can play more maps, so I can loot more maps (= the definition of grind). Now they fucked up that too. It doesnt feel like a climb anymore, it feels like going in circles.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jul 23, 2015, 10:38:17 AM
ive been playing 3 years now and never once had a character to lvl 90...highest was 87 in hc...

i usually rip or reroll...and that is OK.

who gives a crap if 100 is hard to get to...if everyone was 100, this game would lose a little something.

really love how lvl 100 is an accomplishment and hope it stays that way
"The problem with scrubcore is that it is full of of scrubs"
- King Edward the Longshanks
Why do people act like they're entitled to level 100 though? You've long since beaten the story. There's not really any content that requires a full set of skillpoints. You can do pretty much everything pre-90 depending on your build.
Is it because it's a nice round number? I mean what if we used a different base system? Like if we were in base 9 you'd hit 100 at level 81 and there'd be those weird people who go to level 121 for kicks.

Nobody's screwing you over, you're just setting arbitrary goals for your character that have nothing to do with the reality of the game.
Make an alt or two for christ's sake.
Why am I wearing a heavy belt if I haven't got any pants?
This is not a babysitting game

If you want to be the top 0.1% then spend that amount of time, effort and energy

If not, stop fucking complaining

It's like people going to Dota2 or CS:GO forums and going "Why am I not allowed in tournaments? I play this game!" yeah but not at that level

PoE like diablo 2 is more about journey than the destination, it is not a game you "win" and ding level 100
"
Krehlmar wrote:

If you want to be the top 0.1% then spend that amount of time, effort and energy

It's like people going to Dota2 or CS:GO forums and going "Why am I not allowed in tournaments? I play this game!" yeah but not at that level

PoE like diablo 2 is more about journey than the destination, it is not a game you "win" and ding level 100

Poe isn't like d2 because in d2 your progression isnt gated by rng, you have full access to high lvl content and can grind to your hearts content. Currently a lot of high lvl 80's are forced to run low lvl no exp maps just because maps simply don't drop.
Do not, my friends, become addicted to maps. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!
"

Amen
Considering GGG's mindset, they should just remove maps from the game. I am serious.
Nobody is complaining about not being able to hit lv100 here. What they are saying is GGG is using that as the basis their development and that is completely flawed. On one side they are balancing the game so that lv100 people will not be super OP god with immortal power and get bored after 1 day of getting there but on the other hand they are severely reducing the accessibility of the single possible way to get there in the first place, which is a big contradiction.

I think most people already have the idea that getting to lv100 is impossible without serious no-lifing so hey don't actually try to get there, including myself. If my character ever hits 90, which includes some level of mapping and proper character build, then I am happy. I think we can all agree getting to lv 90 isn't that difficult but now I am finding my lv 80 warband characters can't even find anything higher than 71. At this point with RNG god hating on me I simply cannot see myself going anywhere near 90, which is an arbitrary goal based off an arbitrary goal. This is where I have problem with.

And making alt character as replayability is a complete joke. That is basically saying our game has no concrete end game for you to enjoy so to enjoy the full extend of the game you should redo everything you have already done in a different manner and repeat it 24 times. Yes I realize that sounds exactly like mapping, in that case why even bother implementing maps int he first place?
"The launch day went quite well with just a few small hotfixes to address minor problems."

Heist League - GGG

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info