Chaos Inoculation Help

IS there anyway to make chaos inoculation playable? I like chaos inoculation because getting gear with chaos resist is very limiting and expensive. I also like CI because I hate spamming health pots. But with the new leech changes there is almost no way to survive. Leech basically doesn't kick in until your shield is recharging, so whats the point? You can't heal when you need it the most. Mainly boss fights and tight enclosed areas. There isn't enough time to get out of danger and only one hit stops your regeneration. Small areas like Kaom, new Piety and the start of Daresso, don't let you get out of danger long enough to refill health, even with zealots oath and increased energy shield start. Dying my way through content is no fun.

Those areas and battles could not have been designed with CI in mind. If the only way to survive is to spam health pots then I will no longer be interested in this game. I want my build to work without spamming potions, which is one reason I play POE over D2 in the first place. I am for removing health pots altogether since it just quadruples your life pool. Vaal Discipline only works once briefly and needs 24 souls. Players should be able to build many different ways but really it comes down to only a few options. CI should have a different leech rate because I don't want energy shield flasks.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make CI work better, I would like to know. I want to make it to end game without having to skip map bosses. Thank you very much.
Last edited by JinxMangrove on Jul 22, 2015, 7:09:58 AM
Play to the strengths of CI.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1394759 - Suggestion for beginner tutorial.
I had no problems with CI by going Zealot's Oath, though I had 7.5k es and 8.6% regen. Just zipped around with Whirling Blades + Fortify + Faster Attacks whenever ES got too low.
I am a caster. EE, Firestorm, Arc, Ice Spear, Flame Totem, HoT, Curse on Hit, Elemental Weakness, Enfeeble. HoI, Chaos Golem. CWDT, Molten Shell, Ice Nova. I guess If i just get over 6K ES it will be better. At 4K now. I guess I am just wondering if there is any cool mechanic I have missed to help CI self-sustain while leveling. Thank you very much.
"
JinxMangrove wrote:
I am a caster. EE, Firestorm, Arc, Ice Spear, Flame Totem, HoT, Curse on Hit, Elemental Weakness, Enfeeble. HoI, Chaos Golem. CWDT, Molten Shell, Ice Nova. I guess If i just get over 6K ES it will be better. At 4K now. I guess I am just wondering if there is any cool mechanic I have missed to help CI self-sustain while leveling. Thank you very much.

The easy way is to build a caster-tank relying on ES regeneration, but picking Zealot's Oath and regeneration nodes in the templar/marauder areas rather than relying on ghost reaver or ES recharging.

But, of course, if you aren't interested in building a caster-tank, with most skillpoints devoted to defenses, that's not an option.

Even if not going for a full tank build, however, anybody going CI should seriously consider picking up ZO and some regeneration in 2.0 if they are not going Vaal Pact. Passive regeneration of a huge ES pool is an amazing defense.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Jul 23, 2015, 6:51:03 AM
Read this before going CI as a caster.

Lots of info within these posts then make your choice.

Hope this helps you decide what to do.

To Die Is Not An Option, To Fight Until DIESync Is The Only Answer. ☺☻☺

Happy Hunting Exiles.
CI isn't for face tanking, it's for hit and run.

Use it on builds with burst mechanic and lots of mobility or offscreen potential.

EX: I run it on my Cold Snap/Flameblast Witch - I walk into zone, cold snap to freeze mob, charge flameblast, and then run around while mobs burn for the rest of their hitpoints. CI is good for my build because it lets me run resist flasks instead of life flasks, which means I'm less likely to die while I charge up my attack.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
"
Nasreth wrote:
CI isn't for face tanking, it's for hit and run.

Stuff and nonsense.

CI is for hit and run when you build for that, and for face tanking when you build for that. Different builds is all.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Thanks for the replies. I do use zealots oath and ghost reaver. I added Arctic Armor and Vaal disipline. The biggest problem I have with the hit and run strategy is when I drop to zero FPS for like 7-10 seconds. Takes all the fun out of the game when you CANNOT REACT AT ALL. Adding this meant spec-ing into reduced aura modes. I have yet to try whether Vaal Disciple or a war-cry like enduring cry will be more helpful, down to my last socket with 2 unset rings. Physical damage is so high that it is giving me alot of trouble. I am wondering if I should remove arctic armor and and use the points to get to Unyielding. Also if I drop AA I could get MoM. But I had to spec into mana and mana regen so much I would be so annoyed if I run out of mana or had to use a mana pot. I will keep testing. I have been honing the build for so long that if I give up on it, then I will no longer play POE. There are just so many things to mitigate, and I play solo, that its hard to do them all. Maybe if life regen nodes gave a little more, CI would become self sustaining and fun. Thanks.
Last edited by JinxMangrove on Aug 12, 2015, 6:51:21 AM
Seriously, you can boost ES up to 17k (quadruple possible life build) and get about 8% regen as if you do a RF build, thus getting about 2k not delayed ES regen per second with zealot oath. An this is before any regen from items.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info