Icestorm

I've been playing Icestorm on two characters so far in the temporary Hardcore leagues. One at level 95, and one currently at level 81.

The largest issue with this skill imo particularly with HC is the graphics lag. I have one of the best computers possible for a home, and even with everything at the lowest settings if I cast Icestorm on a darkshrine pack it will freeze the game for a good 2-3 seconds.

If there's anyway to fix this, the skill would be awesome.

Thanks!
will there be enchantments for this skill ??? If there will not be i dont think this skill will be used by many players.

edit:i dont think my question will get an answer :(
Last edited by kalavera on Mar 13, 2016, 11:51:52 AM
I'll answer.

- Short answer version : Probably no.

- Long answer version : It's a cold spell, and GGG seems to hate the cold spells, especially if they are preferred for clean builds. We - the full cold souls are doomed to either make a messy cross-omg-wtf-is-this-thing build or just quit the game.
I were expecting improvement for the super nerfer in front on the rest skills IceSpear since 2015, but seems like it wont happen.
Cold skills are : "Do them once, and forget about them forever, or if you remember about them by a mistake - nerf them to the core !" kind of support.
So, I've made WI build (2.3 patch, Prophecy). It works, but I have a lot of things to complain about :P

stats are:
lvl 92; 1340 int; 10% inc AoE from the tree; cast time: 0.29-0.23; duration: 5 sec; avg damage: ~6k (EO, Conc Effect)

1) Lags. with Increased AoE Support, after 5 sec casting there are 17-23 icestorm instances, my PC start begging for forgiveness right after 15th icestorm cast.
Spoiler
I'ts possible to non-costly upgrade the build to 0.18 cast time and 35% AoE but that will make it unusable for me. sort of shitcoded hardware limitation

2) The build works but that's not a goodness of icestorm.
Spoiler

The idea was: unstoppable CI juggernaut with 1 sec ES recharge delay and >60% ES recharge/sec + maximized temporal chains aura.

75% slow for any non curse immune mob in the game and 'instant' ES refill is the build key, but any main non-melee skill would work with that mechanics combination.

Once you nerf temporal chain the build concept will fall into oblivion.

I should say I like the skill mechanic, it's really 'universal' skill, equally good for trash clear and boss kill, but sometimes (depending on map mods) it can't kill white mobs in a single cast, that and the randomness of impacts position makes the skill usage experience pretty negative.

3) No way to continue the build evolution in temp league.
Spoiler

Sadly, there is no crafting in the game.
The build could get additional 400 int for the cost of 20-70(100) exa (that include +6 char levels).
At some point items upgrade cost gap is stunning. it's like lvl 33->70: faceroll everything with 30c investment; 70->80: jewelery and jewels upgrade for additional 50-150 chaos; and then every single piece of 'proper' equipment cost more than 2 exa and exist in 2-3 exemplar.

4) Absurdly high mana cost, 112-121-136 depends on gem setup. I have to use vaal clarity all the time.
Spoiler
the build is limited with gear choices, rings should have int and resists, amulet is astramentis or 100-int-rare-listed-for-50exa-or-not-exist-at-all, so, there is no space for % mana regeneration suffix, therefore normal clarity is sort of useless

End of league result:
1605 int, 3.9 sec duration, ~7.4k avg damage, gameplay feels the same.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Aug 23, 2016, 3:28:55 AM
I love the Staff and the skill. I always wanted a 2 hand Caster Build.
in the past i only play double wand arc/ice nova ond other casual builds. i died often, and rerolled often. I never could get those expensiv crit items.

So i checked the Wiki what unique items exist. i just read "icestorm" and im thinking "wait a minute! a 2 handed ice mage build with a legendary staff". I tryed it, love it, and love it even more that the build isnt that hyped and i could buy a 6 slot WI for 30 chaos.

I also like that u dont need tons of special items to use it. Atramentis + the staff +(gentle touch glovds) and u can enjo that build with only items u drop/quest rewards.

also a nice build that is not COC.
It fits my playstile perfectly, and i wish we get a cast when freezed support gem in the future, to make an even mory funnier build.

Best Unique ever createt! Keep up the good work GGG!

♥ The Ice-Witch: Cold Snapping - *finger-snap* *poof* *shatter* ♥
The skill needs mechanical improvement: first blast should hit in the center of the storm (under cursor) right on the namelocked target. Thats the only way to get rid of 'underpowered' feeling. Sort of blast rain / bladefall have.

So, I've made yet another WI build :P (2.4.0 Essence)
The idea was: maximize hit damage + using HoI for 'AoE damage normalization'. It works.
Spoiler

lvl 93 assassin, 7 power + 4 frenzy charges, 1312 int, 15k avg damage tooltip, 3.5k avg damage HoI tooltip (in fact it's a bit more because of 'hidden' more crit vs full life target)

Currently HoI can sustain limited chain reaction up to t12 maps, so the build gameplay is: one cast = one shattered mobs pack.

But single target sometimes can 'dodge' blasts up to half second, taking into account current monster damage balance state, for lifeleech-based build it's equal to 'oops you died'.
Spoiler

Damage is high enough to freezlock some of t11 bosses, so the goal is reached, it's not skill stats problem, it's mechanical flaw only

Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Sep 22, 2016, 8:17:12 PM
Why doesn't empower work for icestorm? seems like it should...
Life will be technically better Soon TM
Empower, Enhance and Enlighten apply only to Supported Active Skill Gems. Icestorm does not come from a Gem.
And here we are, in the SKILL GEM FEEDBACK forum for Icestorm.
Life will be technically better Soon TM
They could call it the Wiener Festival but that wouldn't make Icestorm a wiener.

You don't have to agree with the logic behind this interaction, but just to save you some time: no amount of argumentation will change the facts.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 12, 2016, 3:18:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info