[2.0] Scion 2h Static Strike Meele Bulldozer - Beginners Friendly - No Uniques needed!

Hey guys,

welcome to my 2h build for scion in 2.0

I started playing PoE a long time ago in 2013, had a long break, started again in summer 2014, had a long break and started now again for the expansion "The Awakening". While I usually searched for a build with my favorite offensive spells, i wanted to create my own build this time. Whereas i play in "Warbands League", my build isn't depending on any unique, because nearly everything of my stuff is self-found. This build is not finished or totally optimized yet, but with your help it will be soon. If you see anything to improve, do not hesitate and tell me! :)

Since i started playing this character, the build worked for me the whole time leveling. And now (i reached level 69), close to end game maps, i feel pretty comfortable with it in order to survive and deal damage (of course you wont deal as much damage as a crit bow ranger, but you have to face tank everything and that forces you to improve your defence a lot, especially in act4).

General Preliminary Considerations

Since started to play PoE, most of my characters had a melee build. I want to follow up this idea and create a strong melee class, which has enough durability to run endgame maps while dealing decent damage. I really like the "Static Strike" gem so i chooses, to theorycraft the build around this meele strength gem.

Since i played melee characters, they oftenly been crafted around "Facebreaker's". With this item i've been able to use a shield, which pushed my defensive stats very well. Since i want to create my build around a 2H weapon, i have to pay more attention to defensive nodes, skills, etc. than i did before.

I decided to go for a 2H Axe (or maybe sword, but as you'll see later, i don't need accuracy rating so this item affix is wasted, but the higher base attack speed fits well to the build.) I also want to create a build, which is quiet cheap thus you start with 0 currency in the new league and you wont get uniques easily.

The Build

Passive Skill Tree         

As mentioned before, i try to get many +max life, +phys. dmg (2h), +attack speed, +armour/evasion nodes and some +allres, life steal nodes as possible. In my current passive tree there is only one jewel socket taken, because i haven't found good jewels for my build, but if i do so, i will definately change the passive tree a bit.

As i will progress through the game, my passive nodes will be this

(Ps: I will add more tree's later for those who don't know what nodes to pick first.)

Gems          

Keep in mind, that the suggestions made in the following part are sorted in the order you should get them. However you can add or leave out gems for the purpose of adapting the build to your playstyle! Moreover is the following my goal setup for this character. As you will see in the gear section, i haven't been able to get this setup so far thus some things will maybe change,

Gems in Weapon (6l)        

4l: Static Strike - Life gain on Hit - Multistrike - Meele Physical Damage
5l: Static Strike - Life gain on Hit - Multistrike - Meele Physical Damage - Faster Attacks
6l: Static Strike - Life gain on Hit - Multistrike - Meele Physical Damage - Faster Attacks - Increased Area of Effect

I've tried a lot of setups in offensive skills, but this worked the best for me, lgoh and ms are obviously needed in order to survive and boost youre damage well (multistrike gives you 2 extra attacks thus you got two more discharges for static strike)

Gems in Body Armour (6l)        

4l: Cyclone - Blood Magic - Melee Physical Damage - Added Fire Damage
5l: Cyclone - Blood Magic - Melee Physical Damage - Added Fire Damage - Faster Attacks
6l: Cyclone - Blood Magic - Melee Physical Damage - Added Fire Damage - Faster Attacks - Concentrated Area of Effect

Cyclone build, you can change it to heavy strike or whatever you want to get more single target damage, but i take it because i like the skill. :)

Gems in Helmet (4l)         

2l: Summon Flame Golem - Culling Strike
3l: Summon Flame Golem - Culling Strike - Greater Multiple Projectiles
4l: Summon Flame Golem - Culling Strike - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Item Rarity

The Flame Golem has fairly good survivability and he can cull for you, which gives you two advantages:
- You have to deal only 90% of the damage to kill something -> "implicit damage boost"
- Better items through increased item rarity

Gems in Gauntles (4l)         

2l: Leap Slam - Fortify
3l: Leap Slam - Fortify - Faster Attacks
4l: Leap Slam - Fortify - Faster Attacks - Abyssal Cry

Take leap slam and Faster Attacks in order to disengage from dangerous situations such as bosses preparing for a ground stomp or to engage in a bulk of creeps you want to attack. Abyssal Cry is a good warcry to improve your damage, because it causes culled enemies to explode and deal 8% of their total maximum life to surrounding creeps. Both Leap Slam and especially Abyssal Cry benefit from Increased Area of Effect so take it.

Gems in Boots (4l)         

Two Setups here:
Offensively:
2l: Vitality - Warlord's Mark
3l: Vitality - Warlord's Mark - Cast When Damage Taken
3l: Vitality - Warlord's Mark - Cast When Damage Taken - Herald of Fire/Ice (only pick, if it feels comfortable with your mana pool)

Defensively:
2l: Vitality - Molten Shell
3l: Vitality - Molten Shell - Cast When Damage Taken
4l: Vitality - Molten Shell - Cast When Damage Taken - Warlord's Mark

I would suggest you the defensively assembly until you got enough gear to compensate your lack of defense. But i got to admit that i'm not totally satisfied with this set up. If you know a better setup, please tell me!

Gear        

I'm currently using:

Current Gear      

Yep, its not very good. But i only played for 3 days, yet. Nothing much to say about it, expect one crucial issue. You'll definately need a mana flask in order to be able to attack, because you'll have a lot of mana to spend especially before you are able to multistrike! For leveling i advice you to take 2 mana flasks. Since you hit level 60-65+, try to reach max resistances in order to be able to do 68+ maps. I would suggest you to have at least 3k armour, 3k life and 50+ resistances.

Later on i try to get some uniques in order to use the full potential of my build:

- Weapon: Atziris Disfavour (holy shit this axe is wrecking it!!!!)

- Body Armour: 6l armour with tri res or maybe Kaom's Heart, which gives an insane
defensive boost (but i need a 6link weapon in order to use it) or Carcass Jack Varnished
Coat
(decent defensive boost, but it definately shines by its "20% increased Radius of Area
Skills and 12% increased Area Damage" affixes!)

- Head: Abyssus Ezomyte Burgonet (sweet dmg boost)

- Gloves: 4l high tri res, max life, attackspeed

- Boots: 4l max life, tri res, movement speed, max life or Kaoms's root (nice defensive push, and i dont need the passive node anymore hence i can rearrange some points

- Rings: adds phys. dmg, resistance, max life, life/mana leech

- Amulet: adds. phys. dmg, max life, tri res

- Belt: Doryani's Invitation or Meginord's Girdle

- Flasks: 2x Life, 1x Granite, 1x Silver, +some resistance flask, hopefully mana leech on ring(s) will be enough to attack steadily

Bandits        

Quite easy to choose:

Normal: Help Oak (+40 max life)
Cruel: Help Oak (16% phys. dmg) or Kraityn (8% attack speed), choose the one which fits better to your playstyle
Merciless: Kill all (1 passive point)

Current Stats And Miscellaneous

So, that's my build so far. Next i want to show you, how to calculate the damage correctly and how much damage i reached so far. Keep in mind that my gear (especially the weapon) is far away from being good and there is a lot of improvement to do!

Damage Calculation/My Damage (so far)        

Damage unbuffed:

Damage with lvl 1 hatred:

The tooltip doesn't take into account the damage of the discharges. So the real damage is calculated by:

Shown dps (damage of your normal attacks) + 0,6*Shown dps (damage of you discharges) = 1,6*Shown dps (total damage)

In my case, i got somehow 12000 dps totally unbuffed and 15000 dps with Hatred lvl 1.

You can see my defensive stats here:

Defensive Stats (so far)        

That's it for me. Thanks to everyone who has made it here. I constantly try to improve things and try new gem setups, to make this an atziri viable build. If i find some, i will update this guide. Furthermore i want to apologize for any spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes thus i'm not a native speaker.

Cherio!

Grummble
Last edited by PoEAcademy on Jul 20, 2015, 11:57:21 AM
A cookie cutter build with a standard passive tree, it should work well for beginners indeed.

However, starting as a Scion isn't really a good choice in this case, since you're not relying on jewels and you're not getting a lot of nodes on the other side of the tree.
Keep in mind, the starting nodes as a Scion are all pretty terrible, whereas you could start as a Marauder and either get a good amount of life or damage with the very efficient starting nodes.

Also, I would just like to point out that your DPS calculation is totally wrong. In NO way are you getting 20k real DPS with 6k tooltip DPS.
When you calculate the damage of the explosions, I see that you included your attack speed. Then, you should calculate as such : (attack speed) * (damage per hit) * 0.6
You're doing : (attack speed) * (DPS) * 0.6
That means you're counting your attack speed twice.

To get your real DPS with Static Strike, you just take your tooltip DPS and multiply it by 1.6.
That gives you 10,270 DPS.
But don't worry, you aren't very high level yet and don't have good gear, this should go higher to quite decent numbers.
Thanks for your feedback!

I've choosen a Scion, because i wanted to grab some attack speed nodes from the middle/right side of the tree.

I updated the damage calculation, thanks for pointing out my mistake.

The build is meant to be a solid beginners build, which doesn't depend on any in depth mechanics or rare uniques (altough it would greatly benefit from some of them).

Looking forward to get more feedback. Thanks.

Grummble
Hi, I'm going to run a Scion as my second Warbands character and this is looking like a solid build. My first character was an IR, RT, US 2H spectral thrower and the leftover gear will fit amazingly with this build.

Couple of questions:

How is your playstyle currently? It seems from the tooltip and character sheet that your resists are rather low and you use around 115 mana/second Static Striking with 341 mana. How is your sustained damage against bosses who don't spawn adds for you to flask up? I imagine you would cyclone more, is the dps from your cyclone setup good for single target or is it simply a cheap aoe to deal with white monsters?

Thanks for the build and tree, I'll try to update you as I get to a comparable level, hopefully within the week.
Last edited by unfocusedking on Jul 15, 2015, 3:03:44 AM
Hello unfocusedking,

thanks for your feedback! Normally i jump into a bunch of creep, use abyssal cry and then focus the stronges one (e.g. the rare one / one with most life).

You're right, this build is quite mana intensive thus i use my mana flask after almost every fight or in it. But if you get your mana flask the affixe "immune to freeze", like i did, you won't get freezed anymore.

For Bosses, which dont spawn any creeps, i use cyclone, which has a great single target damage (if you use concentrated area of effect). It even has a good splash damage to kill trash, if you use increased area of effect.

Hope you'll have a lot of fun with this build. Thanks. :)

Grummble

PS: I have updated my current defense stats and gear. Read the gear section to get information about the stats requiered for maps.
Last edited by PoEAcademy on Jul 15, 2015, 6:43:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info