[DISCONTINUED] GROUNDSLAMMER BUILD

After some thought, I've decided to stop playing POE and stop using the build. It started with me just trying to continue a build from the past, but with my own touch. After a while, it got popular and tons of view. Cool. Then complaints started pouring in and new players were having trouble. Later I tried to tweak it but to no success. As of 7/16/17 this build is discontinued. I won't delete the build as some players may still need this. GG and RIP my build. If you want free stuff message me. Im cleaning house

-Hey Everyone!
-This is my first post and I am releasing an updated build for new players looking to use Groundslam and learn how to play the game or try something new!

-Firstly, "NinjaArabStrategist" gets credit for posting the original build. I am just updating it, as many people (myself included) asked for it to be updated. When the huge 2.0 update was released, there was no other GS builds. So I wanted to be the first!

-His post can be found here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73072

-Also don't forget to check any updates and changes to the build at the bottom of the page. Now lets get to the build!

!!FOR NEW PLAYERS!!: Please do not feel overwhelmed by all this text and spoiler tags ect.. At first it may seem like a lot, but trust me, this build is very simple and very efficient! If you new guys have questions please don't be afraid to ask! I will not shun you for asking a question even if it seems stupid! I am open to all questions, comments, concerns with this build! Also I am EXTREMELY thankful for over 200K views and over 200 responses! Now have fun and enjoy POE!

What the hell is this build?
Spoiler
-What this build does is that it connects high damage and health with life leech
-So with a high life pool and life leech, casting won't be a problem and you will become a tank!
-This build focuses on Strength
-THIS BUILD IS VERY CHEAP AND REQUIRES LITTLE TO NO CURRENCY!
-All of your gems are Strength based (mostly)
-The Gems are both quest rewards and can be bought from venders!
-"Resolute Technique" removed the need for accuracy
-"Blood Magic" removes the need for mana
-Lastly the high life regen (from strength) removes the drawbacks of "Blood Magic"!

Skill Gems
Spoiler
-Gems Needed;
Main Attack: "Ground Slam" Ground Slam is the main attack as it has high range and high AOE. It can keep you back from enemies and kill multiple packs quickly. This skill combined with life leech means that you will be stealing life from multiple enemies making you a tank.
Secondary Attack: "Heavy Strike" Heavy Strike is a very good skill that does high damage to a single target. So say you see a high level mob/boss, kill the enemies around him first with Groundslam, then go in for the kill with Heavy Strike.
Last Attack: Leap Slam Leap slam is a great way of escaping large crowds. If you feel overwhelmed in the game, just use Leap Slam somewhere safe. Leap Slam can also be used to jump over things that normally your character would not be able to cross.
Support Gems;
"Life Gain on Hit" This is very important, it should be your first support gem linked in with GroundSlam. Without this, you will not be gaining as much life back as you need to survive. (Change to "Life Leech" around 2k DPS)
"Melee Physical Damage" This boosts your overall physical damage, it is important as the more damage you do, the more life leech you get out. (SWITCH TO FORTIFY IN CRUEL)
"Added Fire Damage" Adds a large bonus of elemental damage.
"Faster Attacks" This is fun to use, the gem is pretty much self explanatory, but is needed if you lack the damage. It will greatly raise your DPS. (Eventually change to "Multistrike")
Optional:
* "Weapon Elemental Damage" If you can't seem to get a hold of the other gems, this is always an option. This adds a small amount of damage.

Updated Ground Slammer Build (In Steps)
Spoiler
This build focuses on a few major points
First: "Resolute Technique" is important as you will no longer miss your hits, your skill spam with this is key once you get the life leech support gem.
Second: "Blood Magic" removes the need for mana, as you are going to be purely a strength and health buffed character. This means you will be spending life to cast your skill.
Third: With all the strength passives and life regen, relying on life is not a problem!
Basically You will build and select you passives in this order.
Step 1: http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEAAQmWFCA5Dj38UEdYY18_dqx7jHzZhVKMz5d5rY3G2M9-2WHkUeoY6wnvDvZI9zI=
Step 2: http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEAAAUtBTwHdQmWCbsOPBLhFCAUcSFVJyAs-zkOOlI9_ECgRrdHfkh4SdVQR1dUWGNeE18_YJFhUmVNZ1h2rHh6eu97jHzZhNmE74VShmCHaooiirOMz5BsktCTqJd5ouqpJ6mUrY29Nr6nwKbFU8bYz37Tb9lh3DLcPd-_5FHkreoY6wnvDu9O82_2SPcy-Os=
Step 3: http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEAAAUtBTwHdQmWCbsMXw48EuEUIBRxGNcaPiFVJyApLiz7OQ46Uj38QKBGt0d-SHhJ1VBHU6VVqVdUWGNeE18_YJFhUmVNZ1hqAWoEaqVyqXaseHp673uMfLh82X31hNmE74VShmCHaoiPiiKKs4zPkGyS0JOol3mXtKLqqSeplK2NvTa-p8CmxBXE9sVTxq7G2M9-02_ZYdwy3D3fv-RR5K3qGOsJ7w7vTvIv82_2SPcy-Ov9MA==
Step 4: http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEAAAUtBTwHdQmWCbsLYQxfDjwS4RQgFHEY1xo-ITQhVScgKS4s-zkOOlI7Oz38QKBBP0a3R35IeEnVUEdR5lOlValXVFhjXhNfP2CRYVJlTWdYaPJqAWoEaqVyqXasd1N4enrve4x8uHzZffWCm4TZhO-FUoZgh2qIj4oiirOMz5BsktCTqJd5l7SaO57Fn9-iAKLqqSeplK2Nr2y0L702vqfApsQVxPbFU8auxtjPftNv2WHcMtw937_hc-RR5K3qGOsJ7w7vTu988B_yL_Nv9kj3Mvjr_TA=
Continued/Optional Step 5 if lacking Resistance: http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEAAQUtBTwHdQmWCbsLYQxfDjwS4RQgFHEY1xo-ITQhVScgKS4pTyz7OQ46Ujs7PfxAoEE_RrdHfkh4SdVQR1HmU6VVqVhjXhNfP2CRYVJlTWdYaPJqAWoEaqVyqXasd1N4enrve4x8uHzZffWCm4TZhO-FUoZgh2qIj4oijHaMz5BsktCXeZe0mjuePJ7Fn9-iAKLqqSeplK2Nr2y0L702vqfApsQVxPbFU8auxtjPftNv2WHcMtw937_hc-RR5K3qGOsJ7DjvDu9O73zwH_Iv82_2SPcy-Ov9MA==

Ascendancy (UPDATED 4/15/17)
Spoiler
I have made and tried a few other characters and in response to many comments, I no longer run Beserker. I didn't realize how wrong I was running Berserker. Currently I am using Juggernaut. Juggernaut mainly boosts defense, but has a few utility features.
"Unbreakable" Doubles body armor and makes your character immune to stun. Very useful and makes your tank an unstoppable force.
"Unstoppable" Increases movement speed, but is mainly used for the "cannot be slowed below base speed.
"Unyielding" This completes you character. Fortify is incredibly important, it increases melee physical damage and grants the player 20% reduced damage. Unyielding further increases damage, adds life regen, and increases the effect of fortify. Pretty cool stuff.

Weapons and Equipment
Spoiler
Weapons:For the main weapon, you will be using a 2 handed Mace
-This is only because it has the most DPS and doesn't compare to swords or axes
Also:look for weapons with mods increasing physical + elemental damage and attack speed
Protip: Once you save up some chaos, Buy a "Marohi Erqi" (it is cheap and has a greater AOE which is key for Groundslam to work)

Equipment
This build works with and is reliant on a lot of different equipment, rather then just weapons
Chestplate: Look for a 3-4 link early on that increases life or armor. Resistance will work too!
-For the other armor; head, boots, gloves, chest, look for mods increasing life, and capped resistance(as that is what you will be relying on in later levels)
For Rings and Amulets: look for resistance (Fire, Cold, Lightning ect..)
Also: you will need a 4 or 5-link (Or 6 if you are rich) piece to hold all the skill gems!

Bandit Rewards
Spoiler
Normal: Help Oak and receive the extra health
Cruel: Help Oak again and receive the physical damage boost
Merciless: Kill all of them and you will receive a skill point (This may seem dumb but it is super important later on!)

MY GEAR AT LVL 80
Spoiler

My Gear Explained
-First off, I have the GS gem linked in my Mace due to the passive buff. (Mandatory)
-My Helmet is okay, as it has a lot of armor and buffs melee damage. (Very cheap and easy to find, I have 4 currently!)
-My Boots have decent armor + resistance. Not much else to say about those (Easy to find and make)
-The Ruby ring is alright, functionally they are pretty good. Amulet works fine as is, but i will be changing it soon. (Very easy to find or make)
-The Belt is very nice it has a pretty nice armor bonus. (Easy to find)
-Unset ring works great. Works nicely for leveling gems. (ALSO it is a little harder to find but worth it!)
-Chest piece is very good. The added life leech along with added armor is awesome!
My Gauntlets are amazing and suit the build very well.

MY STATS
Spoiler
DPS:
-Groundslam: 14,421
-Leapslam: 5,510
-Heavy Strike: 21,555
STATS
-Life: 4,083
-Mana: 0
-Energy Shield: 110
-Strength: 427
-Intelligence: 108
-Dexterity: 158
-Armor: 7359
-Physical DMG reduction: 42%
-FIRE RES: 76% (127%)
-COLD RES: 75% (133%)
-Lighting RES: 75% (157%)
-Chaos RES: 0 (0%) This is your worst enemy!

I would like to thank you guys for stopping by and being a
part of this build, if I missed something or if you have questions, please let me know!

Last Updated 7/16/17
Updates:
DISCONTINUED
*Acendancy/Gear/Skills
*Gear Added
*Fixed Skill Tree (Some people were having problems viewing it)
*Optional Step 4
*Optional Skill Gems
*Protips
*Formatting and Grammar
*My gear finally added (YAY!!!)
*More grammar fixes
*More tips
*Explained skills
*Got better gear!
*2.2!!!
*Using a new website for the skill tree as some people were having issues
*Fixed Shield passives
*New gear
*Fortify incorporated into the build temporarily

STILL WORKING ON:
*Other skills and they're support gems
*More Gear
*Frequently asked questions
-ConnorJ177 (CCANNING)
Last edited by Connorj177 on Jul 16, 2017, 5:04:01 PM
Last bumped on Aug 19, 2017, 1:50:12 PM
Thanks a lot for sharing your build. I am going to give it a try and I will let you know how it goes!!!

Magirus40k
Magirus40k
Hello, what about Fortify? Can i use it with ground slam?
@Mateo94
If you are lacking one of the required support gems, then maybe. I personally wouldn't use it because with the high strength and resistance, you wont need extra defense. The reason why the support gems are all attack buffs, is so that the leech is stronger and you kills things quicker (obviously)

Conclusion: Not recommended, but if you build differently, then yes use it.
"
Connorj177 wrote:
@Mateo94
If you are lacking one of the required support gems, then maybe. I personally wouldn't use it because with the high strength and resistance, you wont need extra defense. The reason why the support gems are all attack buffs, is so that the leech is stronger and you kills things quicker (obviously)

Conclusion: Not recommended, but if you build differently, then yes use it.

How about Leap Slam/Faster Attacks/Endurance Charge on Melee Stun/Fortify?
@TheKill69

Leapslam + Faster attacks/endurance charges can be used as a mobility item, I would highly recommend it as being a tank doesn't involve too much dex hahaha!

Leveling up using this build atm. Thanks :)

Just wondering if there is anything I should change with the passives if i used Sweep instead on Ground Slam? I just like the skill more.
@Saraneth

Well you would be doing is a little different, this build heavily relies and revolves around the skill groundslam, but sweep could be used as a secondary of some kind. The way I set up the passives and support gems is the way the build is supposed to be followed and they work together perfectly.

Conclusion: I would try finding a [2.0] build for sweep instead of using mine, with sweep you would need a few different support gems and a different tree set-up. Honestly, just try using my build with groundslam until you are level 24-26, that's when you get "Blood Magic" and the games feels so different and it gets better from there.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask!

-ConnorJ177
I started playing PoE just before the Awakening and followed NinjaArabStrategist's guide and reached lvl 30'ish. After the update I decided I haven't had enough of joy from the build and started a fresh marauder on warbands. However, this guide wasn't up by then, so I kinda made my own build up trying to make something similalr to NinjaArabStrategist's one.

Right now I'm lvl 28 or so and would like to get some insight if my build is fine or whether the nodes I skipped are crucial so much that I'll need to refund in the future: http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBCZYOPBQgFHEaPhznOQ49_FBHWGNfP2oeajt7jHzZggeMz5d5xtjSIdl837_kUeoY7w7yL_JB9kj3Mvjr

Thanks in advance
Last edited by aivwaras on Jul 13, 2015, 11:27:14 AM
"
Connorj177 wrote:
@Saraneth

Well you would be doing is a little different, this build heavily relies and revolves around the skill groundslam, but sweep could be used as a secondary of some kind. The way I set up the passives and support gems is the way the build is supposed to be followed and they work together perfectly.

Conclusion: I would try finding a [2.0] build for sweep instead of using mine, with sweep you would need a few different support gems and a different tree set-up. Honestly, just try using my build with groundslam until you are level 24-26, that's when you get "Blood Magic" and the games feels so different and it gets better from there.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask!

-ConnorJ177

Level 35 now and I am enjoying ground slam quite a bit. Only issue I have is that it only attacks at about a 120 degree arc.
Anyway, just wondering which support gem you would recommend leaving out since I only have a 4 slot atm. Cheers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info