We're Freeing up Old Character Names

The in-game identifier should be the account name, not char name. Requiring distinct char names for such a game (online, free to play, arpg, where everyone creates a lot of chars) was a noobish design mistake.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Fine, Kripparian i take all your chars names lol

This is just a band-aid. The only way to really fix the naming problem is to allow duplicate names. If you free old names now all good names will be taken again in two month and we end up in the same situation. It might be heretic to say this in a path of exile forum, but diablo 3 handled character names A LOT better than path of exile.

To the point where you don't give a damn about characters name.

In D3 i name all my characters with same name, because you chat with people based on their tags.

Yet in poe, having a unique name and using it is still pleasant even if its "MisterMarshmallow".
Givy von up a bits on names like Maliki or DominateUs or "PieORtea"? lol winks
"
Autkast wrote:
Legolas here I come.

I lol'd hard :D
Inofficial list of free names

Legolas
Gandalf
Boromir
Mage
Wizard
Hero
Legolas
Xenia
Gandalf
Legolas
I feared it would be handled like in D2. Thanks goodness it's not. It was such a miserable feeling if you missed logging in for too long and you could see your character but couldn't login because someone else took that name and thus deleted your char. :/
my name aren't common. but i would like change my name.
would be nice.
"
RlNRlN wrote:
i would like change my name.

Email Support (support@grindinggear.com) and they'll do this for you. :-)

Small suggestion on the whole freeing up names thing: personally, I would consider exempting character names that are the same as the account name holding it. A lot of people reserve their account name ingame, too to e.g. avoid misrepresentation.
i hope noone snatches my : xycx_drtefg_xycx ..... would be so sad :-(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info