We're Freeing up Old Character Names

"
Hodari wrote:
"
Durentis wrote:

Generally, I think the expectation is that an online (especially gaming) account has permanence regardless of duration of inactivity

No, I think it's perfectly reasonable at some point to say "Use it or lose it." [...] Most games would probably just delete the inactive accounts like that altogether [...]

Well, this is the main point to disagree on in the absence of actual numbers and I fully expect the player base to split their opinions naturally across it.

Keep in mind when you argue for unique names in a game (by accepting freeing them as a reasonable option) that, as the number of players approach infinity, player names approach the likes of FJDSU-47A9L-3JAL7-MQU1X-N73G5. We see names not much unlike this already. Hardly names worth advocating for, I think. They're certainly neither personal nor easily distinguishable from others so as to identify them at first glance to particular account.

But I'm arguing simply that names shouldn't be globally unique so that GGG is never put in the position to place internal convenience over permanence in the first place. A good name system would take a fair bit of additional effort to implement initially ($$$!), but provide a good and permanent solution (SUATMM!). And with names unique to an account, players would be less inclined to bash their keys to find a character sequence that works.
Guess I have to log in to all of my 30 characters this evening.

That joy.... ;)
"
EnviousMind wrote:

That joy.... ;)

Not unless they're on 30 separate accounts. Only one character on each account to save them all. Actually, even just signing in to post on the forums is probably enough to make your account active.
Last edited by Durentis on Jul 10, 2015, 4:12:34 AM
"
Durentis wrote:

Not unless they're on 30 separate accounts. Only one character on each account to save them all. Actually, even just signing in to post on the forums is probably enough to make your account active.

Oh, I must have missed that. Should have read it more thoroughly. Thank you very much for that information.

Have a nice day! :)
"
EnviousMind wrote:
"
Durentis wrote:

Oh, I must have missed that. Should have read it more thoroughly. Thank you very much for that information.

Have a nice day! :)

"If you have logged onto any character on your account in the last year, then their names cannot be taken." - Chris

Now that I think on it further, this is rather awkwardly said. Their as in each of those characters specifically that you logged into or their as in all characters on your account if you log into any one of them. You read it one way, me another. Maybe better to be safe than sorry?

Oh boy I can't wait
Names on my account you can't have. Sorry if you wanted one of them

Mala_Dalkoa
Steapa_Snotor
Lem_Lemoncloak
PooPMAI_PaNTZ
I_Like_Turtles
NAKORtheISLANI
Lady_Stoneheart
TORMUND_THUNDERFIST
Alleras_Sand
Dagmer_CleftJaw
AEGONtheDRAGON
Howland_Reed
MAEGE_MORMONT
DARKSTARofDAYNE
Thyra_Ragnarsdottir
Alma_Lodaka
FINANtheAGILE
"
Durentis wrote:
"
EnviousMind wrote:

That joy.... ;)

I lost 8 of my original 2011 character names this morning when I logged in, despite being pretty sure I logged in during April 2015 on other characters.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
Last edited by SpudOfDoom on Jul 10, 2015, 10:03:36 PM
"
Durentis wrote:
"
Hodari wrote:
"
Durentis wrote:

Generally, I think the expectation is that an online (especially gaming) account has permanence regardless of duration of inactivity

No, I think it's perfectly reasonable at some point to say "Use it or lose it." [...] Most games would probably just delete the inactive accounts like that altogether [...]

Well, this is the main point to disagree on in the absence of actual numbers and I fully expect the player base to split their opinions naturally across it.

Keep in mind when you argue for unique names in a game (by accepting freeing them as a reasonable option) that, as the number of players approach infinity, player names approach the likes of FJDSU-47A9L-3JAL7-MQU1X-N73G5. We see names not much unlike this already. Hardly names worth advocating for, I think. They're certainly neither personal nor easily distinguishable from others so as to identify them at first glance to particular account.

But I'm arguing simply that names shouldn't be globally unique so that GGG is never put in the position to place internal convenience over permanence in the first place. A good name system would take a fair bit of additional effort to implement initially ($$$!), but provide a good and permanent solution (SUATMM!). And with names unique to an account, players would be less inclined to bash their keys to find a character sequence that works.

I actually really like the unique account tag idea. Just like guild tags have to be unique, having each account have a unique tag would be a great way to solve the name issue.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
A friend of mine took the character name "Spear" like 1 month ago, couldn't believe that name wasn't taken already.
Best way to discover colors for your loot filter
https://pixlr.com/editor/ | IGN: Spear
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.0Ghz | GPU: Radeon Series | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Mouse: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Monitor: Acer Predator

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info