[2.0] ✮ MrKasor's Icestorm Trap Goddess ✮ [HC]

To please you guys I made a self-cast version of the build it uses Lightning Damage and Call of the Brotherhood plus a high freeze chance to Shock and a Cold Snap/Frost Wall on a CWDT Set up.

[2.0] ✮ MrKasor's Tri-Curse Icestorm Light Maiden ✮
[3.2] ✮ MrBones Wild Ride Dancing Dervish Melee Skeleton Summoner ✮ [400%+ Movement Speed]
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2094226
Hey, sorry if this has been asked already! I was wondering why you don't take the spell crit chance + annihilation nodes which are near blast radius on the tree? There's also frost walker for 18% cold damage nearby which would take 2 additional points. Do these not affect the icestorm trap? Or are they merely not powerful enough to justify spending there?

"
ValorForLife wrote:
Hey, sorry if this has been asked already! I was wondering why you don't take the spell crit chance + annihilation nodes which are near blast radius on the tree? There's also frost walker for 18% cold damage nearby which would take 2 additional points. Do these not affect the icestorm trap? Or are they merely not powerful enough to justify spending there?

Crit would require more passive points and more Uniques to get effective which we are really stretching as is as we travel collecting INT as much as we can for Damage we only really pick up really efficient notables. Crit builds are also quite expensive. This build uses trap in its place. Also AoE spells dont crit well as usually you spend all your damage passive points on critical nodes and AoE requires AoE nodes. Traps as well require a lot of nodes to get working and although you don't have to worry about reflect you would need to specifically specialize in a crit trapper or aoe trap build. The Price for an AoE Crit Trapper would be insane especially with Icestorm as it requires so much INT and Uniques to get going.
[3.2] ✮ MrBones Wild Ride Dancing Dervish Melee Skeleton Summoner ✮ [400%+ Movement Speed]
"
MrKasor wrote:
"
Nazrak123 wrote:
"
Sapler wrote:
I havent found any other whispering ice builds, if you dont know of any other your self? Is there anything you can recommend towards a trapless build? and belt/supportgem replacement?

I'm acutally wondering the same thing.. I personally found the staff much more enjoyable trapless since there are no cooldown and no need to wait for traps to recharge..It is much more fast paced and that means faster clearing maps.

The Reason we use trap is for damage nothing beats it and it Allows for a streamlined easy to understand Cold AoE Trap Build so Stacking Frostbite/Elemental Weakness together adding even more damage.

But I do Understand that it is fun to build non-trap and I wasn't aware there is a shortage of Icestorm builds, who would have guessed. So as I do have some knowledge with the skill If you guys want I can Make one. It'll be done by rough copy by tomorrow half Theory craft and I'll post it. So many options on how I can do it. Actually I've been toying with an Idea so I'll try that out.

That would be amazing :3 Im currently 64 and my build is up running where i have used your build for some pointers, but your view on a trapless build would be cool.
- Sapler - www.Sapler.no - youtube.com/sapler - twitch.tv/Sapler -
"
Sapler wrote:
That would be amazing :3 Im currently 64 and my build is up running where i have used your build for some pointers, but your view on a trapless build would be cool.

It's done on the top of this page. Manages to pump out almost the same damage in theory to mobs but due to Atziri being immune to shock it would do less to her. And doesn't have the insta-kill empty all traps on one boss kill potential that trap does. Basically selfcast kills mobs alittle faster but falls short on bosses where this kills mobs a little slower but kills bosses better.
I used Whispering Ice as soon as I hit 30. 10 levels later, I would say that levelling and progressing using traps is a bit slower than your typical build. Damage against bosses is really bad, not only is it a bit difficult to get bosses that move a lot to step on the traps, most of them have attacks that destroys them. Boss fights take so long because of this and the fact that there's a limit as well as a cooldown for traps.

Cold Snap damage is quite underwhelming from what I have experienced (I have it on a Deerstalker with Multiple Trap + Concentrated Effect + Trap Damage due to the lack of a 5-link at my current level) it's just not as good as Ice Storm but it is still useful because it's an alternative to Ice Storm traps when I use up all the charges. Survivability-wise, it's alright. Trapper playstyle involves a lot of moving, so manual dodging isn't a problem. I think I'll have troubles with resists later on because of the amount of uniques that this build needs. It will be hard to get the resists up without nice levelling gear.

Despite the early game problems, it's fun and quite unique. It's just really bad early on from my experience. I think it would be better to level as something else and switch to Whispering Ice traps later on. I can see a very big potential for it later on in the game. I hope I get over this early game hurdle soon. So yeah, that's pretty much my early game levelling feedback for this build. If you have any tips that can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!
Last edited by SenpaiTypeBeat on Jul 17, 2015, 2:15:34 PM
"
I used Whispering Ice as soon as I hit 30. 10 levels later, I would say that levelling and progressing using traps is a bit slower than your typical build. Damage against bosses is really bad, not only is it a bit difficult to get bosses that move a lot to step on the traps, most of them have attacks that destroys them. Boss fights take so long because of this and the fact that there's a limit as well as a cooldown for traps.

Cold Snap damage is quite underwhelming from what I have experienced (I have it on a Deerstalker with Multiple Trap + Concentrated Effect + Trap Damage due to the lack of a 5-link at my current level) it's just not as good as Ice Storm but it is still useful because it's an alternative to Ice Storm traps when I use up all the charges. Survivability-wise, it's alright. Trapper playstyle involves a lot of moving, so manual dodging isn't a problem. I think I'll have troubles with resists later on because of the amount of uniques that this build needs. It will be hard to get the resists up without nice levelling gear.

Despite the early game problems, it's fun and quite unique. It's just really bad early on from my experience. I think it would be better to level as something else and switch to Whispering Ice traps later on. I can see a very big potential for it later on in the game. I hope I get over this early game hurdle soon. So yeah, that's pretty much my early game levelling feedback for this build. If you have any tips that can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Just the type of Post I love to see one that points out problems you've been having.

The as Icestorm depends on INT amount it really doesn't shine early and is probably better off Self-Casting Until Sunblast/Clever Construction. For the Bosses Killing Traps until you get the notable that gives them a 5 second Grace. I added that to the 60 & 80 Tree as that should help a lot. Sunblast is also key as it sets them off after 5 seconds so they can no longer be destroyed before they go off your welcome. Deerstalker is a good choice for now as it's cheap and gives 5 Sockets if you had one corrupted with +1 to Socketed gems it would increase Cold Snap damage by enough to make it a very good skill early Switch Trap Damage for Cold Pen. Your Amulet needs like 3 Int Rolls Hybrid Dex/Int with All Attributes and Int for near 100 INT. INT Increases Icestorm Base Damage and Due to the staff's spell damage per Int it also helps Cold Snap. So remember INT is the most important stat for you. As it Gives you mana for MoM, Max ES, and Damage it's broken.

Edited the leveling part to help people with your problem.
Last edited by MrKasor on Jul 17, 2015, 3:22:35 PM
Here are a few notes from me for anyone out on a journey to farm the cards solo!

1. Do not try and farm this in cruel. Apparently it does drop, so feel free to grind there a bit and hope for the best, but I went there underlevelled and came out 10 levels ahead of the zone with no card. At that point you're gimping yourself on currency droprate by quite a lot due to being overlevelled - better imo to just rush to merc and do it there. Even if you do find one card, there's no way you're getting 4 in cruel.

2. Make sure you have an efficient farming character!!! I am doing it with split arrow+chain ranger and it demolishes packs. Don't bother trying to farm this without good AoE on your skills, it will just waste your time and you'd be better off buying the staff or cards.

2a. Make sure you are able to kill/1-shot the packs of exploding purple guys before they can get to you and detonate (obviously ranged preferred). I think I remember reading that they don't drop loot if they manage to suicide, and since they take up one third to half of all the mobs in this zone, it's important that you can farm them easily.

3. Ideally, maximise the side-benefits from farming since this will take so long. Don't farm any other zone for XP (fellshrine, etc.) - Use a character that needs the XP, collect rares for chaos recipe (Western Forest is high enough), and as always scan over rares for GG rolled ones to sell. This way when you get frustrated and go mental at the lack of staff, at least you have lots of xp + currency and it wasn't wasted time.

EDIT: Divination card is affected by IIQ but NOT IIR.
4. Use an IIR gem if possible. I had mine linked to golem to cull some rares, but once I was destroying packs and could afford to drop a gem slot on my main attack, I moved it to split arrow. It's ~50% increased rarity, a huge increase if you can afford to run it. Also my char has +35% IIR incidentally on my levelling gear.

5. I just finished a huge farming session before typing this up - around 12 hours with a couple short breaks, and just found my first Incantation card. Was slower at the start, much faster at the end since I'm now 7 levels ahead of the zone. I swapped IIR gem into SA about halfway through, as well as equipping a Perandus Blazon belt that I found during the farmfest, for 8% IIQ. Below are the approximate drops that I obtained in total. I saw someone mentioned getting a card drop after 10 hours of farming. I'd say that's fairly accurate and it seems 10-12 hours per card drop, if you're chain farming efficiently. I had 8% IIQ when the Incantation card dropped.

Results from 12 hour farm:
13 Character levels (55-68)
~10 Chaos Orb
~20 Orb of Alchemy
5 Vaal Orb
Enlighten gem
Around 10 uniques, various.
2 Regal Orb
2 Blessed Orb
16+ "Carrion Crow" Divination cards. I actually turned them off in my loot filter since it was depressing seeing them drop and realising it was the wrong card.
3-4 "The Hermit" Divination cards
5 level 68 Maps. Keep in mind the maps aren't common drops in this low level zone, and they didn't drop often - I was just there for that long.
Lots of various other lower tier currencies
1 "The Incantation" Divination card

The cards at the moment are on poe.trade for around 23c-1ex each (on Warbands). That seems about right... I'd say you'd farm about 23c worth of currency in the time it takes one to drop on average... so you can always farm for a couple, and buy the remaining few using the currency that you farmed at the same time. Just don't expect this to be a weekend farm project!

Again, this is a very tiny sample size so may be of limited value, but I thought I'd document roughly how long it takes for each card to drop. I've seen a few people questioning if it actually drops due to how rare it is, so hopefully this helps reassure some of you guys that it is actually in the loot tables!

I will update if and when I get the next drop :)

----------------EDIT----------------

2nd card dropped! Results of farming for it are below.

http://i.imgur.com/cVRkJUz.png

Currency drops from farming 2nd card:

2 Blessed Orb
4 Vaal Orb
16 Cartographer's Chisel
2 Gemcutter's Prism
16 Chaos Orb
7 Maps (level 68)
7 "The Hermit" Divination Cards
1 "The Incantation" Divination Card
66 Blacksmith Whetstone
133 Armourer's Scrap
26 Orb of Alchemy
3 Glassblower's Bauble
184 Jeweller's Orb
5 Orb of Regret
6 Orb of Scouring
117 Orb of Transmutation
92 Orb of Augmentation
35 Orb of Chance
22 Orb of Fusing
246 Orb of Alteration
224 Chromatic Orb

3rd card dropped! Results of farming are below. Got lucky for this one, but I think I was a bit unlucky on the 2nd so somewhat deserved!

Currency drops from farming 3rd card:

5 Cartographer's Chisel
1 Chaos Orb
4 "The Hermit" Divination Cards
12 Blacksmith Whetstone
28 Armourer's Scrap
3 Orb of Alchemy
1 Glassblower's Bauble
15 Jeweller's Orb
1 Orb of Regret
2 Orb of Scouring
25 Orb of Transmutation
20 Orb of Augmentation
11 Orb of Chance
7 Orb of Fusing
41 Orb of Alteration
35 Chromatic Orb

4th card dropped! I think I got super lucky for this one too. Maybe average droprate is lower than it took me to get the first two, not too sure.

Currency drops from farming 4th card:

2 Chaos Orb
3 Blacksmith Whetstone
5 Armourer's Scrap
3 Orb of Alchemy
1 Glassblower's Bauble
25 Jeweller's Orb
8 Orb of Transmutation
8 Orb of Augmentation
1 Orb of Fusing
10 Orb of Alteration
15 Chromatic Orb

Decent roll, 1% off max int and cast speed!
I'm a little hesitant to spend any more skill points now due to the big changes to the tree you just made, lol. How confident do you feel about the new tree?
"
ValorForLife wrote:
I'm a little hesitant to spend any more skill points now due to the big changes to the tree you just made, lol. How confident do you feel about the new tree?

I just rushed one part from the other as I forgot how important 5 second immortality & sunblast is for traps VS Bosses. In the end it's the same tree except now it transitions easier to CI You might be slightly lower on Health but more ES very early on. But you will be having a much easier time VS Bosses. Confidence? Very High as I just cut out a part that we didn't even bother with touching until 85. Since you are worried I'll show the numbers. At 60 Points you lose 9% health Gain 40% ES plus by 80 you have all the Jewel Slots for more Health/ES.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info