Godfather

Near the end of Godfather 1, Vito Corleone relents and agrees to provide support for the narcotics business in the interest of peace.

If that is the outcome, he should have invested that 1 million $ with Solozzo at the beginning, become even richer, and have all his sons still alive.

"
Warmey wrote:
Near the end of Godfather 1, Vito Corleone relents and agrees to provide support for the narcotics business in the interest of peace.

If that is the outcome, he should have invested that 1 million $ with Solozzo at the beginning, become even richer, and have all his sons still alive.

He just couldn't agree with this kind of commerce it wasn't his genre and the kind of business he wanted to do. Also it wasn't just all about a business disagrement, they wanted to kill Corleone to take his place and install a new family in his territory
"
diablofdb wrote:
"
Warmey wrote:

He just couldn't agree with this kind of commerce it wasn't his genre and the kind of business he wanted to do. Also it wasn't just all about a business disagrement, they wanted to kill Corleone to take his place and install a new family in his territory

Hmm, I didn't get the feel like they wanted to off him at the beginning. I mean, sure after the solozzo/ cop killings sure.

I think that if he made that 1 mil deal there wouldn't have been any bad blood and all families would have continued in relative peace.

Solozzo was forced to off Vito because he did not accept the deal. He needed the territory and with a non compliant family, it would have made things very difficult.

"
'at the beginning' ignores character and plot developments though. The Godfather is all about paying for your mistakes (choices) and that's precisely what happens here. HOWEVER the really interesting question to me is, what is 'right'? Vito makes the morally correct choice because narcotics are poison and his idea of the 'mafia' doesn't conform to that, as the opening monologue makes clear -- he sees himself as a father figure. But he's clearly made the wrong choice in terms of the business and the world around him, with which he's clearly not keeping up.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but I think Vito would have done it the same way even with hindsight, because his relenting was only under the most extreme of conditions.

What is right? If you are part of something that big you need to be 100% committed otherwise you risk jeopardizing everything.Vito should have allowed the narcotics trade to commence because in the end it would have been in the best interest for everyone (relatively speaking).

1. His family would have prospered.
2. His political connections would have endured and come around eventually. Money is a powerful thing.
3. Michael would have been out of the family business and probably do something legitimate.
4. Sunny would still be alive.
5. Fredo would still be alive.
6. Michael's daughter would still be alive.
7. Possibly Vito would have lived longer. He wouldn't have been weakened by the gun shots, wouldn't have the heart attack. All that stress put a toll on his body.

Haha, I've seen this movie 1000 times, and I always think about alternatives. Heh.

In Vito's place, I would have allowed the drug trade as long as it's controlled. Like I said, you're either dedicated to the mafia life or you risk everything. You can't have it half assed. You cannot debate this on moral grounds.
Last edited by Warmey on Jul 6, 2015, 8:51:06 PM
Drugs are what caused a rift between the old school Mafiosi and the younger generation IRL too. John Gotti anyone??
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
'at the beginning' ignores character and plot developments though. The Godfather is all about paying for your mistakes (choices) and that's precisely what happens here. HOWEVER the really interesting question to me is, what is 'right'? Vito makes the morally correct choice because narcotics are poison and his idea of the 'mafia' doesn't conform to that, as the opening monologue makes clear -- he sees himself as a father figure. But he's clearly made the wrong choice in terms of the business and the world around him, with which he's clearly not keeping up.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but I think Vito would have done it the same way even with hindsight, because his relenting was only under the most extreme of conditions.

Oh man, you need to see The Sopranos..
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
If you lead a life of crime, you either become more vicious than your enemies, die, or quit. Anything else is just make-believe.

But, um, that's precisely what movies are.

Overall, though, I would go with Warmey more here. I like my make-believe to be believable.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 6, 2015, 11:49:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info