Does Increased Critical Strike Chance Also Apply for Spells?

So in this cold witch build i made:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA37DfiukCghCPpkSrVa4snFcr_rO9gm0ZEFgEB4PbVcY6WAVCQZbQ9a6z7BjjVuTrN4FSsgj0wFS86mpDaxeVIMHzD8Siozt8uMrr9Y_68h1knbmTwwlJUfDVBx6VLiY8FvMvnX_GEZZMs5MnHNxJsdfP-TfviIMJRnG0DMDjS1fxs2-edweHE5yk6roNfFfJKPr56ILHXfIOSAL-34RCw4w2Fefwa3OzRXyXl3BSidNw1bVI8-oqCyaVYeJVSxa_FLCCHkwtU9SNgtHknwEXVCKBnqFWSo48iEId2UNU9HHr7prgU1JFnWh0lKDaYq-b

Even after all the research and random googling i am doing i have no idea how the crit works for me and my cold spell casting build no matter how much i try google a simple answer, mostly which crit works for what attacks, So basically:

1 - does the "increased 205% critical strike chance" in the above build also apply for spells like the increased critical strike chance for spells? You would think not of course if there is one that specifies for spells and that one does not, but the closest i could come to an actual definitive answer online was it saying "increased critical strike chance" *applies globally* so, i believe, it applies to all forms of attack being global? not weapon attacks or spell attacks specifically so in a round-about way it does also apply for spells?

2 - If i understand crit applications properly, and the crit chance cap is 95% to keep in mind, if both the 205% crit strike chance and 215% crit strike chance (420% total) for spells are applied to spells, would a spell for example with a base crit of 6% then be 420% more, 25.20%? because If so you would have to build a ton of crit chance to ever worry about reaching that 95% cap, the average crit chance on a skill being around 6% you would have to roughly build 1500% increased critical strike chance for 90% chance to crit so is that wrong?

Any other thoughts comments information and advice about both crit and that cold witch build would be much appreciated, thank you for your time.
increased Critical strike chance : a global increase to your critical strike chances on all of your available skills

increased spell critical strike chance : a spell only increase in your critical strike chance

increased melee critical strike chance : a melee only increase in your critical strike chance

If it's not specified to a certain sub-group(spells/melee) then it is in fact "global" and apply's to both equally.

Your math seems about right, don't forget you can still get power charges and items with global crit chance. So while the amount of available crit on the passive tree is limiting(for good reason) there are still a lot of external sources of crit available to a player to enhance his build.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Whiskiz wrote:
1 - does the "increased 205% critical strike chance" in the above build also apply for spells like the increased critical strike chance for spells? You would think not of course if there is one that specifies for spells and that one does not, but the closest i could come to an actual definitive answer online was it saying "increased critical strike chance" *applies globally* so, i believe, it applies to all forms of attack being global? not weapon attacks or spell attacks specifically so in a round-about way it does also apply for spells?
Yes, it applies to spells. Firstly, you're using the word "attack" differently to how the game does so it would be best to clear up that now before you get really confused. What you call an attack, the game calls a skill. What the game means by 'attack' is a subset of skills that directly use your weapon to hit enemies, and are therefore based off your weapon's stats. Spells are not attacks, they are two separate categories of skill.

Anyway, yes, the nodes on the tree that just say "increased critical strike chance" are global - they apply to all your skills, including spells. Just bear in mind that the exact same wording on a weapon applies only to that weapon (which is why it would be somewhat helpful to change the wording on the tree, but never mind that).

"
2 - If i understand crit applications properly, and the crit chance cap is 95% to keep in mind, if both the 205% crit strike chance and 215% crit strike chance (420% total) for spells are applied to spells, would a spell for example with a base crit of 6% then be 420% more, 25.20%? because If so you would have to build a ton of crit chance to ever worry about reaching that 95% cap, the average crit chance on a skill being around 6% you would have to roughly build 1500% increased critical strike chance for 90% chance to crit so is that wrong?
That's correct (although I think you forgot about the base 6% crit chance in your calculation - with 420% increased crit chance, a spell with base 6% crit will have a final crit chance of 31.2%). The crit cap is not really possible to hit for spells (Discharge currently excepted, although it's getting a crit chance nerf this week that will make it almost impossible for it as well). It's only really feasible for attack-based builds, since weapon base crit chance can go as high as 11%. But unlike for attacks, pretty much any crit you can get is great for spells, so don't worry about it.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Jul 6, 2015, 5:16:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info