Why I am quitting PoE...

I couldn't believe what I was reading when someone showed me tonight that they are removing eternals from the game. I hope this post convinces the devs to change their minds about doing this, but I don't expect that it will.

There are many different types of players of this type of game, and I am the most common type, I play standard with the goal of accumulating wealth an "perfecting" my characters. I played Diablo II for over a decade. I LOVED this game and thought it was much better than Diablo II, until now. You are taking away my end game. You are taking away the end game of all "serious" standard players who generally seek to accumulate vast wealth and build "perfect" characters that are, for example, wearing 1000 exhalts worth of gear. Removing eternals brings this quest to a screeching halt.

For example, one of my characters is a very versatile Fireball/Incinerate/Flameblast templar. He also uses arctic armor and has a perfect wand for him that would have eventually been eternal-exhalted to add the last 2 stats. The 4 is has are all tier 1 and exactly what I want on that build, and part of my long-term goal was to become wealthy enough to eternal-exhalt that wand and complete that character. With eternals removed from the game... he is finished now. There is nothing else to do. He is "perfect" except eternal-exhalting the last 2 stats onto his wand. Most of my 7 Lvl90+ characters have 1 or 2 items just like the fireball guy's wand, and as a standard player getting the wealth to finish those items was the only reason I had left to play.

So I am essentially quitting PoE. I will still play from time to time, I like this kind of game a lot. But it is more of an arcade game too me now, like Gauntlet or something, because I have no future goal to work for. I have all the character types I want, and they all have perfect gear for their builds now that their "partial items" can never be completed. The only reason I have to play anymore is for the fun of it. And I will occassionally come in and use my guys for fun, but that is it. There is nothing to work for now, and no reason to play other than to play. Removing eternals removes the end-game for standard players, so patch 2.0 turns this game into an arcade game for me from now on.

I hope they come to understand the huge mistake they are making by removing the endgame from standard players. There is no reason to keep accumulating wealth anymore once have have strong builds with "T1 items". You can't improve, or more accurately complete, your items so there is no need for any further accumulation of wealth once you are "done" with a character.

So with the game as it will stand after 2.0 is released... all my guys are finished now and I have nothing to do, and no goal to improve them anymore. Too me, for the type of player I am, 2.0 is essentially a Gauntlet-like arcade game with custom characters I made myself... and that's how I will treat it until Eternals are put back in the game and I have something to work towards again.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
If you play temporary leagues only, you always have goals to work towards because you lose everything at the end. Food for thought.

Also, you can still achieve your goals it is just going to take an ass ton more currency and luck. If anything, this should extend the amount of time for you to lay PoE because the goal posts for your finish line just got moved waaaaaaay back! An evil way to look at it perhaps but it suits me.

You could also just try to become more creative with your goals. Use that wealth to construct a character that shouldn't work but does!

-EDIT-
Also, not to be that guy who looks at profiles but you talk about how you have no goal to improve your characters now. However, you are using 5L chests on almost all of them. Why not work on changing all of those to 6L?

"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Last edited by CliveHowlitzer on Jul 6, 2015, 1:01:48 AM
Bon voyage, and best of luck with your next adventure in gaming. Might be better to post this in Feedback, though.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
You will come back with new goal
Have fun! And go buy my stuff...

Shops: 522765 / 1094567 / 1147014
Congratulations you have now won standard. Welcome to the real game of POE, temporary leagues with upto date balanced items and content. How much of a GG character can you make in the league with you're vast experience of trading and grinding?
Go AB's
"
If you play temporary leagues only, you always have goals to work towards because you lose everything at the end. Food for thought.

Also, you can still achieve your goals it is just going to take an ass ton more currency and luck. If anything, this should extend the amount of time for you to lay PoE because the goal posts for your finish line just got moved waaaaaaay back! An evil way to look at it perhaps but it suits me.

You could also just try to become more creative with your goals. Use that wealth to construct a character that shouldn't work but does!

-EDIT-
Also, not to be that guy who looks at profiles but you talk about how you have no goal to improve your characters now. However, you are using 5L chests on almost all of them. Why not work on changing all of those to 6L?

M9ore currency won't help, for example the wand I mentioned can never be finished now no matter how much currency I have.

I am 900 fuses towards 6L another chest right now. I was in the process of getting all the 6Ls I needed, I just pay the 1500 fuses and am happy with that.

But all my characters are finished now, they don't need 6Ls and I have no desire to play with no end-game goal. So like I said, I will still play it for fun and get use out of my stable of guys I spent the last year making, but it is just an arcade game now. I won't ever change any of my guys again and will just use them like arcade game characters. I really think of this game like Gauntlet now that their is no future too it for me.
"
Kavik_Kang wrote:
"

-EDIT-

M9ore currency won't help, for example the wand I mentioned can never be finished now no matter how much currency I have.

I am 900 fuses towards 6L another chest right now. I was in the process of getting all the 6Ls I needed, I just pay the 1500 fuses and am happy with that.

But all my characters are finished now, they don't need 6Ls and I have no desire to play with no end-game goal. So like I said, I will still play it for fun and get use out of my stable of guys I spent the last year making, but it is just an arcade game now. I won't ever change any of my guys again and will just use them like arcade game characters. I really think of this game like Gauntlet now that their is no future too it for me.

Is there a reason why you are totally discounting starting over on a temporary league to see how well you can do without that huge base of wealth? As well as how quickly you can do it in competition with other players trying to do the same, who all start at the same time?
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
How far into the future were you planning to do your eternal - exalting? You've been playing for a year and you look to be years away from doing that. Do you have a siingle item you've tried it on? Or are you planning to do that after the 6 linking? Seems premature to quit before you get to the point of having enough wealth to do your crafting.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Imo there's not much point atm now to remove eternal. That thing, along with Mirror should had never existed in the first place. They has screwed the game (standard wise) since the begin of time when you could get both of them.
Removing eternal now will help to prevent more popping up from crafting and give more value to drops/loot or "yolo" crafting. But the sad truth is, the perfect rolls that were crafted with eternal still out there along with Mirror, OP Legacies like Kaom, Shav. Effectively gating the value of loot one get from playing
Do i agree or disagree with it? I don't know. Is removing it now instead of keeping it and removing mirror instead a bad thing or good thing? I don't know either, only time will tell.
"
Kavik_Kang wrote:
There are many different types of players of this type of game, and I am the most common type, I play standard with the goal of accumulating wealth an "perfecting" my characters.
Nitpicking, but no. SC temp leaguers have higher numbers. Only about 15% higher, and the Standard population has been playing the game longer, buys more microtransactions, and is the most vocal on the internet. But still smaller.
"
Kavik_Kang wrote:
You are taking away my end game.
Spoiler
You are taking away the end game of all "serious" standard players who generally seek to accumulate vast wealth and build "perfect" characters that are, for example, wearing 1000 exhalts worth of gear. Removing eternals brings this quest to a screeching halt.

For example, one of my characters is a very versatile Fireball/Incinerate/Flameblast templar. He also uses arctic armor and has a perfect wand for him that would have eventually been eternal-exhalted to add the last 2 stats. The 4 is has are all tier 1 and exactly what I want on that build, and part of my long-term goal was to become wealthy enough to eternal-exhalt that wand and complete that character. With eternals removed from the game... he is finished now. There is nothing else to do.
He is "perfect" except eternal-exhalting the last 2 stats onto his wand. Most of my 7 Lvl90+ characters have 1 or 2 items just like the fireball guy's wand, and as a standard player getting the wealth to finish those items was the only reason I had left to play.
This is an exaggeration. The only change is, instead of a tall stack of very rare Eternals, you will need a tall stack of additional copies of your 4xT1 wand. This is much more difficult but still doable.
"
Kavik_Kang wrote:
I hope they come to understand the huge mistake they are making by removing the endgame from standard players.
Standard players hate change. Perhaps the change they hate most is a change of plans, since they never had the opportunity to see their plan realized, only to have that particular plan shut down. As I've already said, there is another way, but it's a detour, a much longer route than you anticipated.

And, yeah, that's frustrating. For a playerbase which craves stability and permanence, you certainly won't be the only one frustrated, either.

I have been against Eternals since before they were ever added to the game, and I think their removal is a huge benefit to every player who hasn't played Standard yet but will later. Some of these prone are current temp leaguers, some who haven't played PoE yet at all. I think it benefits a lot of current Standard players too, players who weren't counting on Eternals so much. Overall I think it's the right move.

But I wouldn't say it isn't screwing players like you over. It is. And if you quit over that, I understand.

But you know, all of this could have been prevented. Eternals were a mistake from the start. If they never wound have added them, you'd be in a better place right now.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 6, 2015, 2:50:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info