Armor, Energy Shield, or Evasion?

"
MBata wrote:
Armour absorbs physical damage, but it has diminishing returns depending on the size of the hit. For really large hits it may only "absorb" 10%, for tiny hits it may absorb 100%. So it is most useful against groups. Armour plays really well with endurance charges.

phys reduction is capped at 90%

flat phys% redution (Endurance charges, passives, chaos golem, dunno if there are any new mods one jewels/uniques in upcoming expansion) stacks with reduction calculated from armour formula

Granite flask of iron skin further helps
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
HP+armour+high block. Evasion is too much unpredictable.
You need to stack way more HP with pure evasion to survive physical dmg spikes, that hit you (and they sometimes will).
With pure eva characters i feel like playing "russian roulette".
Last edited by AAlex12 on Jul 3, 2015, 10:01:06 AM
"
krenderke wrote:

Eva is an other RNG abuse I don't really like it, because u have the chance of being immortal and the chance of getting rekt every time u take 2 hit in a row, no thanks.

Gonna be my usual nitpicky self. Evasion in this game has an "entropy-based system" which protects from "RNG abuse." See MBata's post above for a pretty good explanation of how Evasion works in practice. The simplest way to refute what you've said is that in this game, if you have 50%+ true evasion vs a monster, and are 1v1 vs that monster, it is literally impossible to take 2 hits in a row.

More exact mechanics of how Evasion is coded in: Your Entropy value rolls as a random number (for RNG on first hit) between 0 and 99. The enemy's Chance to Hit you (also known as 100% - evasion) is added onto this value when an enemy attempts to Hit you. You can only successfully be Hit if and only if your Entropy value exceeds 99. Once there is a successful Hit and Entropy exceeds 99, then 100 is subtracted from your Entropy value.

Example: You roll 99, the worst possible RNG case. Your Evasion vs a monster is 50% (so its chance to hit is 100-50 = 50% "chance").
1st hit: the monster Hits you because 99+50 = 149, which exceeds 99. Your Entropy is reset to 49.
2nd hit: the monster cannot possibly Hit you because 49+50 = 99, which does not exceed 99.

tl;dr Evasion in this game would more accurately be called Balance, which allows you to avoid periodic hits consistently.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jul 3, 2015, 3:39:34 PM
"
adghar wrote:
Gonna be my usual nitpicky self.

Except you're almost never 1v1 and that skeleton archer in the back can easily ruin your day vs the powerful crits bear.

"
krenderke wrote:

Or course block is an awesome mechanism in the game, and can be mixed with all above, making them even better, it is like getting an evasion stat on top of your existing stat.

But if i could pick an order of all the def types, then it would be this.

health > armor > (spell)block >energy shield>...>the 5% minimal phys mitigation>...>evasion

But still i would rather go for iron reflexes with a phys ranged char.

well evasion is far superior to attack block because its entropic, so why wouldnt you just get an evasion stat on top of your existing stat rather than getting block on top of your existing stat? Its not easier to stack block on top of armour or es than it is to stack evasion on top of armour or es.

The whole idea of going either armour, evasion or es and not stacking 2 of those options together = terrible defensive setups in the vast majority of cases. Avoidance mechanics and damage reductions are equally as important, if you are not investing significantly in both then I think you have a defensively weak build. Its not a case of which is better, theyre both essential if you dont want to be glass.

Armour isnt 20% as effective as it says either, like 50% of damage is physical and imo about 80% of damage that matters is physical attacks. Chaos damage makes up way less than 20% of the damage mobs do in practice and ultimately probably like 2% of significant damage you take.

"
AAlex12 wrote:
You need to stack way more HP with pure evasion to survive physical dmg spikes, that hit you (and they sometimes will).

How is Evasion less predictable than armor! Spikes will hit as hard as with armour, which then only mitigates by a reduced amount "Tree hits armor". You might read the earlier comments talking about evasion entropy which eliminate the unpredictable factor, by for instance letting you evade every second attack a 100% when you have 50% evasion. Also you get life + evasion to avoid one-hits aswell as armour builds do it; your choice...

I think the thread becomes to mathematical, the best hint is how it will support your build. While math is just studying the balance of the game and trying to find abuses. (nothing against match, but the general direction helps the question more)
Christmas comes early - The Awakening!
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ★  ☆
Last edited by rusher21 on Jul 3, 2015, 6:57:49 PM
Spoiler
"
adghar wrote:

Gonna be my usual nitpicky self. Evasion in this game has an "entropy-based system" which protects from "RNG abuse." See MBata's post above for a pretty good explanation of how Evasion works in practice. The simplest way to refute what you've said is that in this game, if you have 50%+ true evasion vs a monster, and are 1v1 vs that monster, it is literally impossible to take 2 hits in a row.

More exact mechanics of how Evasion is coded in: Your Entropy value rolls as a random number (for RNG on first hit) between 0 and 99. The enemy's Chance to Hit you (also known as 100% - evasion) is added onto this value when an enemy attempts to Hit you. You can only successfully be Hit if and only if your Entropy value exceeds 99. Once there is a successful Hit and Entropy exceeds 99, then 100 is subtracted from your Entropy value.

Example: You roll 99, the worst possible RNG case. Your Evasion vs a monster is 50% (so its chance to hit is 100-50 = 50% "chance").
1st hit: the monster Hits you because 99+50 = 149, which exceeds 99. Your Entropy is reset to 49.
2nd hit: the monster cannot possibly Hit you because 49+50 = 99, which does not exceed 99.

tl;dr Evasion in this game would more accurately be called Balance, which allows you to avoid periodic hits consistently.

Spoiler
Well that is interesting, thanks, i didn't know how they actually did the math behind it, and as someone who can code a little all i knew is that random numbers are not random.
But then this makes eva a lot better than it looks first, maybe i will do some calculations, but maybe i just should not, since every time i bring math into a game, the fun time is over and it becomes to feel like a job.

Spoiler
"
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

well evasion is far superior to attack block because its entropic, so why wouldnt you just get an evasion stat on top of your existing stat rather than getting block on top of your existing stat? Its not easier to stack block on top of armour or es than it is to stack evasion on top of armour or es.

The whole idea of going either armour, evasion or es and not stacking 2 of those options together = terrible defensive setups in the vast majority of cases. Avoidance mechanics and damage reductions are equally as important, if you are not investing significantly in both then I think you have a defensively weak build. Its not a case of which is better, theyre both essential if you dont want to be glass.

Armour isnt 20% as effective as it says either, like 50% of damage is physical and imo about 80% of damage that matters is physical attacks. Chaos damage makes up way less than 20% of the damage mobs do in practice and ultimately probably like 2% of significant damage you take.

Edited:
Spoiler

The entropic method is new to me :)
Getting eva with armor would result in lower armor value, and even with the terrible dismissing returns it has i still feel better with it.
It is easier to stack block, since all you need is a shield and some nodes on top of your gear.

This is a really well composed sentence.
You don't say it is bad in all cases, only in the vast majority, so coming up with examples would not really help my argument, but then i still try it.

-Boring example, RF marauder/duelist/scion/templar/whaterver, it is not known as a defensively weak character and also not known for stacking evasion with armor.

-An other boring example,
EA shadow, have no armor and evansion nodes, have ES nodes but use EB, so it does not protect him, only defense is the arctic armor (glorious flat reduction) and the health pool.

-Any other: any CI build, you don't see them stack evasion or armor.

-The point is why would you go for 2 type of nodes? I know about the mixed nodes, but those are like giving you 50/50 of them so if you take 2 mixed that is like taking 1-1 of the 2 different, sounds like a waste of passives to me.

For my own order again including healt and block because without it it don't really make sense to compare them.

health:
always regen, potions can restore it, adds to every defensive stat's effectivenes (nor armor or eva is useful if u have 1 hp, for ES its.....different)
since elem resists are kinda capped you can only increase your def with this(or es)

armor:
mitigates phys dmg by a certain amount

block:
gives you chance to be immune to dmg without making you lose of your favored def option

ES:
Can behave like health with certain nodes, can recharge faster(if was not hit for x time), but can't use potions to regen it
have to give up phys mitigation
best versus elemental dmg

evasion:
Modified gamble, but still is a gamble because you still have the chance to take tons of unmitigated dmg, so no way you guys can change my mind about it, when i almost die from a vaal crit with 6800 hp and 75% mitigation (granite flask ofc, and even more with 3 endu charge up), then what if u are unlucky with your evasion, you can only call the priest.

Other than this, perma immortal call setups can make your life easier.

I also said it mingt be different for each class, that which they prefer.
Even if it was meant to break the game with interesting builds, we can see where theese are the most popular.
Melee armor
Caster ES
Ranged eva

some other:

Found a thread a few days/weeks ago where an eva build melee player complained about some phys boss (will look up it), that he have to skip it because if he attemts all he can do is call the priest. because he is dead.

Edit: i will edit this post to death lol, here is the thread
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/785913

Ps: I am still interested in your answer, however you won't convince me that evasion is good, the same way i can't convince you it is bad.

TL;DR IMO evasion sux balls, but you might not be me and i don't judge you for liking something that sux balls, because most of us liek things that sux on our balls :DDD
Last edited by krenderke on Jul 4, 2015, 4:32:58 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
Its not easier to stack block on top of armour or es than it is to stack evasion on top of armour or es.

Not sure I agree with that, armor, eva and es are exclusive on gear, while block chance comes mostly from the passive tree, usually together with shield defences, increasing your primary defense at the same time.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

Block is 100x better than evasion. Evasion faces the same problem armor does. It's effective against monsters you don't care about, less effective against monsters you do care about. Your "chance to evade" is against a WHITE monster of your level. Not counting blues, rares, uniques or bosses which have higher accuracy than white monsters. Not also counting mods such as "accurate". So your "chance to evade" is lower against monsters that can kill you, higher against monsters you don't care about. Just like armor. Evasion scaling is also a bitch. Fast attacking monsters also rip through your evasion entropy so fast, it's as if you're not evading any attacks at all.

Block is flat. Doesn't matter if the monster has "accurate" mod, is a rare/blue/unique/boss. It will always be the same. This is why it got nerfed so hard. You always have to keep stacking more evasion. Once you get a block chance you're satisfied with, you never have to invest in it again.

If i could only have one the answer is clear. Block will always be better than evasion
"
rusher21 wrote:
"
AAlex12 wrote:

How is Evasion less predictable than armor! Spikes will hit as hard as with armour, which then only mitigates by a reduced amount "Tree hits armor". You might read the earlier comments talking about evasion entropy which eliminate the unpredictable factor, by for instance letting you evade every second attack a 100% when you have 50% evasion. Also you get life + evasion to avoid one-hits aswell as armour builds do it; your choice...

I think the thread becomes to mathematical, the best hint is how it will support your build. While math is just studying the balance of the game and trying to find abuses. (nothing against match, but the general direction helps the question more)

Let's presume, you have 50% evasion and you are going to get hit. Do you know, will you be hit or not? No, you don't. With armour you know, you going to get hit, and with some game expierence you know the approximate amount of HP you will lose. With armour your chances to get oneshot by physical dmg are lower.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info