The odds of my newly chosen path to be successful?

My current plans; Learn C# Object Oriented Programming, Learn to create detailed 3D mesh objects, Learn Graphic Design. Then: Create a fun video game I enjoy playing in the Unity Game Engine, make the music and sounds for it, and finally market my game by streaming it on Twitch.

I'm not sure if this is everything I'll need to know to do what I wanna do, nor how long it will take me to learn everything and create everything, but I have all the time in the world and an undying passion to make a great game I would love to play/enjoy and to share it with others.

So far all I know are some C# basics, how to create some basic electronic music, how to record sounds and modify them, and how to set up a Twitch stream.

My first question is actually; has anyone you know or know of done something similar before? And if so how did that go for them?

Secondly, what do you think my odds of success are assuming I spend all my time and effort in this goal?

Finally, if anyone has any tips, I'd be excited to hear them. Guidance isn't something I have a lot of, just motivation and a world wide web to teach me what I need to know :P
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
Last edited by FriendlyGamerGuy on Jun 28, 2015, 1:30:02 AM
My friend started that. He was excited as heck for the idea, but he calmed down once he realized exactly how big a project like that actually is. He goes to school at the same time, though, so he doesn't have a whole lot of time to work on it.

3D meshing is a lot of work, as far as I know. So are animations. Aren't the software for those things pretty expensive? Or does Unity provide that? And I have no idea how hard it is to make a multiplayer mode for an online game.

You could make it, but it'll most certainly take a lot of time, patience and dedication.
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

"
GooberM wrote:
My friend started that. He was excited as heck for the idea, but he calmed down once he realized exactly how big a project like that actually is. He goes to school at the same time, though, so he doesn't have a whole lot of time to work on it.

3D meshing is a lot of work, as far as I know. So are animations. Aren't the software for those things pretty expensive? Or does Unity provide that? And I have no idea how hard it is to make a multiplayer mode for an online game.

You could make it, but it'll most certainly take a lot of time, patience and dedication.

As far as I understand everything I need to make animations and 3D mesh objects are including in either Unity or another free application I have on my computer called "Blender".

I am sort of thinking this will take years to complete but I would be proud if I could accomplish it and be able to say I didn't give up on my dreams.
"
I'd have to give it about a 27.9% chance of success

That's better than 0% and higher than I sometimes feel I'm capable of, however, sometimes I surprise myself.
"
"
GooberM wrote:

As far as I understand everything I need to make animations and 3D mesh objects are including in either Unity or another free application I have on my computer called "Blender".

I am sort of thinking this will take years to complete but I would be proud if I could accomplish it and be able to say I didn't give up on my dreams.

It won't be impossible to make. It'll take a lot of time, as you've said. And yeah, forgot about Blender for 3D objects, I've used it a bit. Haven't touched Unity in a while, don't remember what's included.

Anyway, you can certainly give it a go. Learning a programming language is pretty much. You'll likely have to dab in database stuff too.
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

I would suggest zbrush for 3d designing. Also c+/++ although most of the stuff u will need will be in the engine.

But a 3d game is a lot of work, especially for only 1 person.
That's a huge challenge, OP. Creating a game from a scratch - code, graphics, sound and marketing done by one person with almost no prior knowledge - is a herculean task. Best of luck!

By the way, mind to share any details about your game?
"
kruemel2222 wrote:
That's a huge challenge, OP. Creating a game from a scratch - code, graphics, sound and marketing done by one person with almost no prior knowledge - is a herculean task. Best of luck!

By the way, mind to share any details about your game?

I'm actually not entirely sure what I want to make yet aside from it being a futuristic RTS, although that might change as I learn what I need to learn. However, I find myself wishing for a cool futuristic RTS to come out where you can build fun defenses and offenses often. Nothing that is currently out satisfies that need. Supreme Commander sorta comes close but not quite for me anymore.
A wise fellow once said, "Do or do not. There is no try."

Hard work and self belief has a way of opening doors. If it's your passion, just go for it!
My advice would be to start small regardless of whether you know what you want to make.

The best way to learn that I've found is by making tiny projects, and iterating rapidly on them. Being able to quickly correct your mistakes and try new things is going to be much more effective than trying to make the perfect game on your first try.

What you should ask yourself is if can you make a game that's fun with only gameplay. There's no point in spending all your time on graphics, environments, sound, writing etc if the core idea isn't fun.

A great way to try this is by making a mod for something - because you have all your assets there already.

I also recommend looking at small indie games like Minecraft for examples of simple concepts that don't need detailed graphics to be fun or engaging. Gunpoint is also a really good example of someone's first game that's not only really fun but well documented.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it!
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info