What do you guys think of the 720 and PS4 blocking used games?

So as most of you probably already heard the Xbox 720 and the PS4 are both coming out this year that is basically for sure. The full specs for both are still unknown but what we do know for sure is that they are going to block the use of used games. They are going to do it by forcing users to be connected to the internet at ALL times when the machine is on and when you first get a game you have to enter a key to make the game work, doesn't matter if the game is single player only or is mostly multiplayer.

The reason they are doing this is cause they say it hurts developers. But in reality used game sells don't hurt developers they hurt PUBLISHERS most developers the ones who really make breakthrough games make good money and they didn't start their careers to be millionaires and most developers are perfectly content with what they currently make they make above average salaries and are in the upper middle class, at least the ones who have made a name for themselves.

I think this new policy is going to receive a TON of backlash from the gaming community for quite some time ESPECIALLY if they continue to use the current retail structure. I might see myself being able to accept this if the console went the way of PC with the like of steam where you have sales and making holidays out of groundhog day just to get people to buy games they probably wouldn't touch in the first place. But if they don't I probably wont buy a single console game again until they change it back. But to be honest I really haven't bought many console games in a long time and my 360/wii/ps3 are all gathering dust in some corner, I think this is mostly due to the direction consoles have been going for a long time now.

They are basically trying to become the more affordable PC when in reality they actually aren't more affordable. When you factor in you can build a new PC for under 800$ on a budget that can run most if not all new games on max and the PC will be able to do MANY other things than just play games. PCs are still and probably always will be the best bang for your buck.

So what do you guys think about this NO USED GAMES policy?
Last edited by lobe44 on Feb 11, 2013, 5:36:47 PM
Anything that requires me to be connected to the internet 24/7 is something that I would be very, very wary of buying. The fact that they will block second hand games as well just makes it a definite 'no, not ever.'

Mind you, I mainly play PC games these days anyway. I have gone off consoles.
I'm not a n00b- I'm a Online Game Floor Examination Expert.
"
Misguidance wrote:
Anything that requires me to be connected to the internet 24/7 is something that I would be very, very wary of buying. The fact that they will block second hand games as well just makes it a definite 'no, not ever.'

Mind you, I mainly play PC games these days anyway. I have gone off consoles.

Yea I kind of agree but in this day and age where everyone has internet and wifi I don't think it is that big of an issue. But forcing it on their customers is a bit much.
"
lobe44 wrote:
So what do you guys think about this new NO USED GAMES policy?

Not really a new idea, they've been trying to combat second hand games with DLCs and online passes on the current generation. It was only expected they'd ramp it up for the next generation.
"
lobe44 wrote:

Yea I kind of agree but in this day and age where everyone has internet and wifi I don't think it is that big of an issue. But forcing it on their customers is a bit much.

I just don't like being bossed around by an inanimate object. ;) I'll connect if I want to, dammit!

But yeah, truth be told, it's the assumption that I will always have internet access that bothers me. I spend a lot of time visiting my father and he has no internet connection, so a machine that demands one is pretty much useless to me.
I'm not a n00b- I'm a Online Game Floor Examination Expert.
Never actually used a console before, but if 24/7 online connection is a requirement, then F*** that shit. I don't buy second hand games, but I won't take always online.
I understand where they are coming from with this. Considering the games retailers give none of the income from re-sold games to the publishers it was only a matter of time. But I do not like the way this has been done. If they do go ahead and lock the games to specific machines it will be horrible.

The activation codes that exist in a few games seems like a far better option...

For the DRM thing, it's a terrible idea. Why should someone have to be online to play a single player game? There are so many potential problems with this. In the case where perhaps the ISP is doing maintenance or upgrades etc there will be people completely unable to play anything for the duration of the ISPs downtime.
And this is why ill buy a PS3. :)
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Edel
Since when has not allowing 2nd hand games been a "fact" ? Never? Ok.

And always online? Again, where the fuck have you heard this bullshit? If the companies haven't even announced the console, they certainly haven't spoke about things like this. And even if it was online constantly? So what, this is 2013, it's a non-issue. If you don't have the internet, you certainly aren't going to have a console.

Stop spewing such utter bullshit, these are rumors, ones that I am pretty sure were actually debunked a while back now that I think about it.
Last edited by oBLACKIECHANo on Feb 11, 2013, 5:37:30 PM
"
oBLACKIECHANo wrote:
Since when has not allowing 2nd hand games been a "fact" ? Never? Ok.

And always online? Again, where the fuck have you heard this bullshit? If the companies haven't even announced the console, they certainly haven't spoke about things like this. And even if it was online constantly? So what, this is 2013, it's a non-issue. If you don't have the internet, you certainly aren't going to have a console.

Stop spewing such utter bullshit, these are rumors, ones that I am pretty sure were actually debunked a while back now that I think about it.

The 720 has already been proven to have the "Always Online" feature and to block second hand games. A durango system was leaked and sold mid last year on Ebay. Durango is the codename for the 720. This is why we already know most if not everything about the 720, the most we know about the PS4 comes from a devkit which was also leaked but that information is a bit more sketchy. But if Microsoft is going the route of more restrictions on the used game market then Sony is sure to follow.

Btw the thing ended up selling for 20grand.
Last edited by lobe44 on Feb 11, 2013, 5:54:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info