folding@home

I compliment you for doing the good thing, but some of us cannot afford this^

I myself needed what I would describe as a faustian bargain in order to get the latest components for my pc, I am not gonna risk overusing them, especially not my Nvidia card (my dangerous temperature levels joke might have been a bit too obscure :P)

Which reminds me, doesnt this work pretty much the same way as bitcoin mining? (not implying its for that purpose, just genuinely curious)
Oblivious
"
Disrupted wrote:
Which reminds me, doesnt this work pretty much the same way as bitcoin mining? (not implying its for that purpose, just genuinely curious)

I don't know what is that.
you can look up folding@home on wiki and on youtube. you are linking your computer up with other individual computers to form a super computer to do medical research. I have been folding since march when I got my gaming computer. and you can set it up to do light, medium, or full folding. you can even set it up to only fold when your computer is idle. you are not actively using it.
gaming computers primarily use gpus so are much more effiecient at folding and can perform more calculations per day than a cpu computer with integrated graphics. you could also set up to do core folding only which only uses the cores you are not using. a normal computer with quad or six cores only uses 1 of those for normal processing. folding at home would only use the core/cores not actively used for daily processing. and if you are doing video editing which uses more cores, it does not use them when they are actively involved in other tasks.

I have my laptop set on max folding, except when I am gaming and then I set it to light so it does not interfere with the fps in the game. if there are problems during a game, you can go back to the page which is on the bottom right under hidden icons, bring it up and pause it.

for those of you who have alredi started folding, thank you. I have lymphoma, stage 3 and have been in remission for 5 years now. if I had to have chemo again, it would be in the form of pills, instead of harsh infusions 6 hours long, every three weeks.

my sis in law now has multiple myloma, and had exhausted the chemo and then experimental stem cell implants, using her own stem cells. that helped for a while, but numbers got bad again. she is now on another chemo that was only just released, still experimental.

what I am saying is the folding project is helping many people to survive, and also parkinsons and althimers. hope I spelled that right.

thanks again.
you can look up folding@home on wiki and on youtube. you are linking your computer up with other individual computers to form a super computer to do medical research. I have been folding since march when I got my gaming computer. and you can set it up to do light, medium, or full folding. you can even set it up to only fold when your computer is idle. you are not actively using it.
gaming computers primarily use gpus so are much more effiecient at folding and can perform more calculations per day than a cpu computer with integrated graphics. you could also set up to do core folding only which only uses the cores you are not using. a normal computer with quad or six cores only uses 1 of those for normal processing. folding at home would only use the core/cores not actively used for daily processing. and if you are doing video editing which uses more cores, it does not use them when they are actively involved in other tasks.

I have my laptop set on max folding, except when I am gaming and then I set it to light so it does not interfere with the fps in the game. if there are problems during a game, you can go back to the page which is on the bottom right under hidden icons, bring it up and pause it.

for those of you who have alredi started folding, thank you. I have lymphoma, stage 3 and have been in remission for 5 years now. if I had to have chemo again, it would be in the form of pills, instead of harsh infusions 6 hours long, every three weeks.

my sis in law now has multiple myloma, and had exhausted the chemo and then experimental stem cell implants, using her own stem cells. that helped for a while, but numbers got bad again. she is now on another chemo that was only just released, still experimental.

what I am saying is the folding project is helping many people to survive, and also parkinsons and althimers. hope I spelled that right.

thanks again.

as of 14 July we are 193 of 222, 656 teams world wide, and I am 18,315 of 1,786,244 individual folders.

come and join us on Nvida forums folders team #142900.
I hope you stay in remission. Best of luck to your sister in law!
Censored.
thank you I am still doing well and enjoying path of exile and my sis is hanging in there. they keep trying new things but multiple myloma is a bugger.
as an individual folder I am now 17,127 out of 1,790,135 folders and our team is now 192 out of 222,197 teams. hope to see some teams folding from the forums. let us know here if you start or join a team. nvida forums folders are team #142900, you are welcome to join us.
Yes I am on your team now (as of yesterday). Jimboc (sp? Not sure that is right, I'm at work now) gave very clear instructions. My PC is off all day while I'm at work so it only folds at night but hopefully this weekend it will have a chance to catch up.
I meant to post there about one problem though. It is not seeing all my processors. I will go there later today or this weekend and see if there is a fix for this or if I did something wrong.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Yes I am on your team now (as of yesterday). Jimboc (sp? Not sure that is right, I'm at work now) gave very clear instructions. My PC is off all day while I'm at work so it only folds at night but hopefully this weekend it will have a chance to catch up.
I meant to post there about one problem though. It is not seeing all my processors. I will go there later today or this weekend and see if there is a fix for this or if I did something wrong.

thank you for joining us. there were 161 on the team when I joined and we were 211 in world standing. It is a friendly competition among the folders, we get credited for each work unit folded. WU. and each work unit is awarded points based on the computations required and the importance of the unit folding.

I set mine up to use the gpu, it has much more folding capability than the cpu. It also used 7 of my 8 threads. each core has 2 threads and you only use 1 to do normal tasks like youtube and facebook. so those with six and 8 core can catch a lot of threads for folding.

just remember to put it on light folding or pause while you are gaming. I sometimes forget and have to go to options in POE, and put video in windows mode so I can get the command line on bottom of screen, use hidden icons on bottom right and pause my folding.

I use full screen in POE because sometime I get excited and when fighting mobs, go off screen and all sorts of weird thing happen.
found you on the team, and thank you for joining, you will start moving up after you have completed 10 work units.
We moved up, we are now 190 of 222,798 folding teams. Every folder helps to find cures and treatments so if you don't want to join us, join another folding team or start one with friends, guildies or other forum members.

the nvida forums folding team is 142900 and our updates are in the forums lounge and thumbtacked to the first line. 142900 is the team number.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info