New High end monitor has ruined gameplay Need Help ?

Not sure if this is the area to post this yet I figured I would be able to tap into some guru's on this game and its requirements.

I have an alienware x51 R2 with a ◦CPU_Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Ti OEM graphics card with an older good monitor running I think a roughly 1900x something resolution.

The game ran super smoothly, never an issue, and was fantastic.

Problem.........

I wanted to upgrade my monitor to a high end one so I purchased a Dell U3415W monitor with a resolution of 3440 x 1440, 34" with what I really liked in the 21:9 ratio I really love.

The game seems to jitter on frames every 5 - 6 seconds like it is trying to refresh or catch up.

My question is is the graphics card just to weak and I need duel cards to fix the issue (probably a new pc for that) or does the game not support the monitor in the way it converts to 21:9

I am not a wiz on this stuff yet I love this game and want to make this new monitor work.

Thanks for any input some of you can give me.
Last edited by NewbieDOTcom on Jun 27, 2015, 1:47:52 PM
Are you running the desktop in 3440 x 1440? I'm asking because my PC renders non-native resolutions much better in "Fullscreen" mode compared to "Windowed Fullscreen".

In Windowed Fullscreen mode, if the game resolution is different than the resolution of the Windows desktop, the picture quality is terrible.

In Fullscreen mode, the game client seems to take over the monitor on a deeper level and is able to render non-native resolutions smoothly.

On my laptop, i have a 1920x1080 screen, but I run PoE in 1366x768. It looks great at the lower resolution, actually.

On my desktop, i have two 1920x1080 screens, and if I use Fullscreen mode, the game client captures my mouse pointer such that i can't use the mouse on the other monitor. In Windowed Fullscreen mode, my mouse pointer can move freely between the two monitors even while I am playing the game. Something is wrong with the scaling when using Windowed Fullscreen. Scaling works fine when using Fullscreen.
wow, I never have played in full screen mode, always in windowed yet that seems to have worked. I lost a little horizontal real estate, etc. yet no more shuttering every like 5 - 8 seconds as I move and all,

Any idea on exactly whats happening when its running in windowed mode?

Thank you.

to sorta answer the question no my boot up is in 3440 x 1440 and I think the windowed mode I set the same I will have to recheck that.

After checking it seems when I try to keep the resolution at 3440 x 1440 in windowed mode the game will create its own custom setting of 3422 x 1347 (custom) and will not let the straight 3440 x 1440 setting stay applied. Maybe that's the issue and every time I try to match the setting to 3440 x 1440 it keeps popping back to the 3422 x 1347 (custom) setting. and then the jittery game play occurs.
Last edited by NewbieDOTcom on Jun 27, 2015, 2:55:18 PM
Awesome!

To answer your question about full screen mode vs windowed mode, I think it has to do with the way Windows accesses the video card in order to draw the screen. In full screen mode, the entire screen is given over to the video subsystem to render, using software techniques to smooth out the image while doing so. In windowed mode, there is kind of a hand off from the part of the operating system that handles 3D stuff to the 2D stuff in order to paint the window. Apparently, windowed mode just doesn't do a very good job of scaling the resolution.

Also, about the thing with windowed mode using some custom resolution, it sounds like you are using Windowed mode as opposed to Windowed Fullscreen mode. Windowed fullscreen mode is like running in windowed mode but without the operating system window dressing like the title bar and min/max buttons and stuff. Windowed fullscreen mode might let you switch from the game to other active programs with alt-tab more quickly than when using fullscreen mode. If it does so, it has to do with the way Fullscreen takes over the whole screen as opposed to Windowed/Windowed fullscreen mode which apparently plays better with other applications at least as far as the rendering of the window output goes.

I have jittery play sometimes, but that's usually because I'm doing something graphic intensive on my second screen. It's usually the web browser that's the culprit. It's not even that graphics intensive, perhaps youtube or something open in one of my tabs. If I minimize the browser on my second screen, my game returns to functioning at a steady 60 fps (with vsync enabled). I don't have to exit the browser, I simply minimize it and the lag goes away.
basically what ^^^ said..

To put it simply, while in windowed mode, the Windows OS desktop has native rendering so you're stuck at the screen size and refresh rate of your desktop settings.

While in Fullscreen mode, the video card is accessed almost natively by the game (full control) so the size and refresh rate are dictated by the game and not the desktop.

It all comes down to who has control over the screen. In windowed mode, the desktop does. In fullscreen mode, the game does.
TY, this only became an issue when I got the 34" new monitor at the super high resolution on Friday. Before that I was always in windowed mode with no issues and fast game play - no jittering yet it was at about 1/2 the resolution as the new monitor which had me thinking my graphics card was struggling to run the game at that resolution compared to the older resolution and 28" screen I was using.

Fullscreen mode is fine, I can get used to the alt/tab to get into windows mode. Its a lot cheaper then going out for a newer pc with duel graphics cards haha.

Thank you a million for the reply and help to get me back into non lagging jittery game play.
I wanted to come back to this post real fast for some additional info:

Since my other Dell 27" screen had/has no issues running the game in windowed mode at the native 1900 x something resolution(normal aspect ratio) and then the new monitor was added which runs at the same 60hz yet at a larger resolution of 3440 x 1440 and the new 21:9 aspect ratio(which then started the jittering game play in windows mode where if I hook up the 27" I have no jittering at all in the windowed mode) can I conclude that if I use duel graphics cards for more power it will fix whats happening or is this game not compatible with a 4k screen and the 21:9 aspect ratio. I am thinking for some reason that the graphics card I use now is struggling to run the newer monitor at that 3440 x 1440 resolution yet I do not want to throw money into duel graphics cards if I will run into the same issue after the change.

Any thoughts, its just weird how one monitor works fine in windowed mode where the newer high end one runs horribly in windowed mode.

Thanks again for any insight, I am not a computer Guru like many of you are.

:P
For anyone that may have the issue I posted here on high resolution monitors I think I have solved the issue yet I do not really understand why the difference. I originally had the monitor to graphics card hookup in the DP connection. My PC also has 2 HDMI connections and one is directly into the graphics card. I switched the cable from the provided DP cable to a high end HDMI cable and now the game runs super smooth and has no jitters and frame loss. Go figure.
Your video card is too weak to run the game in that high resolution windowed mode.

Best way to discover colors for your loot filter
https://pixlr.com/editor/ | IGN: Spear
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.0Ghz | GPU: Radeon Series | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Mouse: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Monitor: Acer Predator
Its running fine with no issues what so ever in windowed mode after the cable switch from the DP cable to the HDMI. I was thinking just what you were and thinking I would need to run duel graphics cards yet that was not the case the HDMI cable solved the issue that the DP cable was causing yet I am unsure why.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info