Finally get rid of the chained ladies in 2.0, please!

"
I have to admit, I do not see the UI as particularly Wraeclastian or Sarnian, and when GGG tried to change that, the reaction was not pretty. ;) The closest analog to the chained ladies I can conjure would be Merveil pre-corruption, and I think Act 4 makes clear that she wasn't the slave, Daresso was.

I wouldn't say that the UI is supposed to represent that found in Sarn, but it is difficult to say it isn't an offshoot style ( or vice versa ). Wraeclast is a large continent, and we haven't seen all of it. Also, most of the statues in Sarn are godlike or worship worthy creations. It stands to reason that demons would be depicted differently. I've been of the mind that they may actually BE demons. The just created using what looks like gold or white marble. The unjust sculpted using something that looks like obsidian or some such.

I have no basis for this, but it was a thought that I had in mind.

Hell, we haven't even seen Theopolis. Their sculptures could be more akin to what we have seen.

The thing is that we don't know. I'd like to think they do have some significance. I'd like to know it.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
"
In this day and age, yes, it is sexist.

But take that with my abovementioned caveats.

No it's not. It's sexist in the same way that Football or Cosmopolitan magazine is sexist. It's "sexist" in the way that a burlesque show is sexist. Go to a burlesque show and tell the ladies how they're bad moral actors because of their sexist show; then get booted out of the door by said ladies because they enjoy doing it and make a good buck in the process.

Merely giving the consumer what they want is how capitalism works.
Doing what you want and the free-market deciding is how freedom of speech works.
Squelching freedom of speech isn't ok.
Let the male-dominated areas of society do what male-oriented enjoyment is; within reason.

I think it should be noticeable that the best classes, except for the Shadow and maybe Duelist, are women. I noticed the other day that 6/7ths of my characters were women. I hate to be on a tirade here, but it's getting obnoxious and the only way to meet such claims and have them go away is ridicule.

It needs to be done on every level until the overly sensitive fix themselves either by getting thicker skin or by locking themselves in their houses.

It is not societies problem to cater to the lowest common denominator.
I don't see both "globe women" as sexist. One is a female Sisyphus, toiling and submissive; one is a female Atlas, strong and proud. Ain't nothing sexist about Ms. Atlas.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I think that all this is part of a much larger debate about nudity, sexuality and everything that comes with these two subjects in our modern societies.
Yes, societies with an "s", because there are vastly different points of view on the subject depending on what your cultural baggage is.
Here's the main issues I have in mind, and I believe each one would deserve its own thread, but not necessarily in this part of the forums.

+ Being mature about these subjects. This is, in my opinion, the main issue here : people aren't mature about all this. Whether it's people who are way too easily offended, which isn't necessarily their fault, but may simply be the product of a society that itself isn't mature about it, or whether it's people who don't want their precious eye candy to be removed (once again, it may be due to society itself not being mature about these subjects).

+ Treating both men and women fairly. Not equally, because, let's face it, we won't ever be able to be completely equal, but fairly.

+ Making sure the right audience is playing the game.
I´m pretty sure that there are some terrorists out there, which would rather have their chained slavewifes to wear a burka, specially when they are in visible public.
Ofcourse they don´t have any problems with the amount of gore and decapitating ingame.

I also have one friend that was turned down by the HellgateLondon UserInterface.
For reference: HGL had a pretty clean UI based on functionality. He complained about it not being well thought out. Quote:"Guildinterface for Arpgs, what kind of idiot would do that .."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
If that's enough to offend the OP he/she must be offended pretty much all 24/7 with everything we see on TV (even the news are worse than that).

Also, it's an artistic choice, respect that.
"
jlow wrote:
I've been an another general discussion about PoE recently and someone brought this up again. People are turned away by this from the game. I myself somehow learned to ignore it but it still bothers me everytime I notice it.

Please just intruduce the UI update* you already had done. Or make it an option.

Thanks.

* https://web-grindinggear.netdna-ssl.com/public/chris/augteaser2.jpg

Last time GGG tried to take the chained Ladies away, they were confronted with a Tsunami of "aw hell no, u won't" in the forums. As it seems, the number of leftist SJW who are offended by virtual statues in a video game is quite small.

Interesting that noone wanted the KZ-Nazi area of Piety to be removed or the torturing of Tolman. Perhaps this is not the right game for you but I heard Zoe Quinn has a top tier game out there, so you could try that out!
Last edited by Scorptice on Jun 18, 2015, 5:58:10 PM
Honestly until they made that ui post i never realized it was bound ladies there, for several years.

"
Scorptice wrote:
"
jlow wrote:
I've been an another general discussion about PoE recently and someone brought this up again. People are turned away by this from the game. I myself somehow learned to ignore it but it still bothers me everytime I notice it.

Please just intruduce the UI update* you already had done. Or make it an option.

Thanks.

* https://web-grindinggear.netdna-ssl.com/public/chris/augteaser2.jpg

Last time GGG tried to take the chained Ladies away, they were confronted with a Tsunami of "aw hell no, u won't" in the forums. As it seems, the number of leftist SJW who are offended by virtual statues in a video game is quite small.

Interesting that noone wanted the KZ-Nazi area of Piety to be removed or the torturing of Tolman. Perhaps this is not the right game for you but I heard Zoe Quinn has a top tier game out there, so you could try that out!

ahaha yes, these feminist moves nowadays are crazy. It just has to be exploitation of women. It just has to be. All who like are clearly out to suppress women and love to see them put down. Clearly.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jun 18, 2015, 6:17:56 PM
"
AceNightfire wrote:
Ahahahaha... Sorry, but I really had to laugh when reading this. This definitely does not drive people from the game away. I think most people like the looks of the chained ladies or do not care about them at all (to be honest, I haven't looked at them for month).

If GGG has some time to spare, I wouldn't mind introducing an option for the UI to remove the ladies or replace them with men (BUT OPTIONAL!). But I don't think that this has a high priority...

"
lukeiy wrote:
This request is ridiculous, I want to see even more chained ladies.

I wouldn't mind if they had no chains and clothing at all :D

Nahh let's keep the chains... That ladies need to learn a something or too... ;)
Dream with me !
"
It may be sexist, but you can't fault a business that knows its demographic. I'd bet my own testicles this loss from such a change would far outweigh any players currently not playing specifically because of the existing UI.

I have a problem with people saying things like "it may be sexist" or "it may be racist", especially when even the original argument has not been demonstrated to be sexist and/or racist.

"
In this day and age, yes, it is sexist.

But take that with my abovementioned caveats.

I have even more problems with people saying things like this, especially when they haven't provided any argument as to why it's sexist.
And no, saying things akin to "boy's club" is not an argument for sexism.

"
And I do believe in subliminal messages on a visual level. We might not stare at those ladies, but we see them. Our eyes register them. Again, for me the message is simply, 'classic gothic horror' but I can understand arguments that feel the game is promoting female slavery. I don't think such arguments are even vaguely tenable given the sheer fucking power of Piety, Shavronne and Dialla (although you could argue each was enslaved in their own way), but I get why some folks, usually outsiders spoiling for a fight from a certain subreddit I won't name, would go there.

I suppose the arguments that the women on those globes are sexist boil down to this (and an argument that the entire type of fantasy is sexist, but I'm not going to delve into that until someone explains why it's sexist) bold part of the text.

1. You don't know if they're slaves, you assume they are. If anything, that makes you sexist for assuming the only reason the women are there is because they're too weak to be anything other than slaves. (I recall reading somewhere about a chained statue of Hercules in Sparta to indicate how he's so important to them).

2. While it is historically accurate to say that women were more often taken as slaves as spoils of war than men, it is only because most men had died in the fight to determine who takes what. So even if they were actually slaves, it'd only be fitting for the lore of the world.
My point being:
It is not sexist to portray a medieval army comprised only of men because that's historically accurate. It would be sexist to portray a medieval army comprised of say, 50% women 50% men, because now you're glorifying one and dismissing about half of the other. Similar as it would be sexist if you portrayed half the suffragettes as being men.

3. Don't go about the subliminal messages on a visual level thing. Not only do you have to prove that such a thing is going on here, but you also have to prove that it is aimed to be sexist. You've not provided anything for either of those things.

"
So the chained ladies? They're not sexy in either the modern or the classical sense. They're just echoes.

Even if their only purpose was to be sexy, what's wrong with that?
Just like the ancient Greeks looked at the muscular statues of men to admire their beauty because they preferred male beauty over female, it's just a preference.
If our culture (in this case, we could go into the more specific gaming culture) likes the female form, there is absolutely nothing sexist in portraying it in a godlike status like the Greeks did with men.
It's not like there's no eye candy for women (and men), I'm looking at you, stupid sexy Templar.

I might be interpreting your message as a bit too much on the SJW-type because of too much exposure to that kind of things recently, but you are making at the very least similar arguments.
First they say it's cos the media is sexist/racist, then they say the media is only sexist/racist cos they cater to a sexist/racist audience and then they say the media is sexist/racist cos they cater to a sexist/racist audience because the culture is sexist/racist and is proof of white patriarchy. (all the while pointing out that the only ones being sexist/racist is themselves).
Last edited by Idioticus on Jun 19, 2015, 4:34:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info