[outdated] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+)

@Phil & torokfremen:

Glad you're enjoying it, Phil! And torok, thanks for the kind words =)
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Feb 23, 2017, 12:51:00 PM
Thoughts on 2.6
Spoiler

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of new mechanics, play style, etc. in the upcoming league. Rather, as many posters in this thread have noted, 2.6 seems to be a "filler" league until 3.0 arrives.

So far I haven't read anything about Energy Shield nerfs. Meanwhile, league stones offer a way of boosting desired leagues. With the league stones in play, it'll be interesting to see how common Breach League drops are. 2.6 may turn into another HoWA league with possibly no nerfs to the build whatsoever, at least if you roll Spectral Throw.

The Area of Effect changes are odd. If the intent is really to curb the necessity to stack AOE nodes I guess it's OK. I'm not sure why this is needed though - the current system seems to work well enough for me.

On the other hand, if it's an attempt to reign in high AOE clear speed builds, well, it misses half the boat by not having any affect on projectile skills.

I'm feeling pretty "Meh" about next league - we'll see though, it could be really fun in practice.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Feb 24, 2017, 8:12:06 PM
So, after 3 weeks of playing I reached level 90 a couple of days ago and got to complete 24 challenges (hooray for free mtx, nice touch GGG). Ever since then I've just been fooling around and having fun with the build. Anyway we can min max it w/o giving up too much MF? bought a a bunch of drillnecks and was lucky enough to get a +1 arrow corruption on my 7th or 8th try. Caustic arrow, artic armor, and rapid decay 21/20 on my first try. :) Anyway what do you guys think of using alpha's howl and maybe adding an aura or two? Haven't done the math yet for that though. Also thinking about buying or corrupting a decent pair of MF gloves with vuln on hit and moving the frenzy setup there but I haven't been lucky with that one yet. If I manage to get one, what do you guys think would be the best 6L setup for single target damage? Golems + jewels for additional tanks? or maybe traps? Don't know really, been away from the game for a couple of years before coming back when I saw the xbox trailer.

Thanks and regards,

Philip
"
So, after 3 weeks of playing I reached level 90 a couple of days ago and got to complete 24 challenges (hooray for free mtx, nice touch GGG). Ever since then I've just been fooling around and having fun with the build. Anyway we can min max it w/o giving up too much MF? bought a a bunch of drillnecks and was lucky enough to get a +1 arrow corruption on my 7th or 8th try. Caustic arrow, artic armor, and rapid decay 21/20 on my first try. :) Anyway what do you guys think of using alpha's howl and maybe adding an aura or two? Haven't done the math yet for that though. Also thinking about buying or corrupting a decent pair of MF gloves with vuln on hit and moving the frenzy setup there but I haven't been lucky with that one yet. If I manage to get one, what do you guys think would be the best 6L setup for single target damage? Golems + jewels for additional tanks? or maybe traps? Don't know really, been away from the game for a couple of years before coming back when I saw the xbox trailer.

Thanks and regards,

Philip

I've been running Alpha Howl with charisma on the passive tree and no enlighten gem yet. I haven't picked up any other aura's outside of grace, clarity, and arctic armor. I'm not sure if the math will workout to let me run another aura though but I would like to try haste.
"
"

Thanks and regards,

Philip

I've been running Alpha Howl with charisma on the passive tree and no enlighten gem yet. I haven't picked up any other aura's outside of grace, clarity, and arctic armor. I'm not sure if the math will workout to let me run another aura though but I would like to try haste.

Arctic armour isn't that useful, as it only adds armour when you're not moving, and you should *always* be moving. I'd trade that for something else... vaal grace perhaps?
Current league IGN: Teldra_Anc_LAD
Feel free to message me in game if I'm on.
"
Anyway we can min max it w/o giving up too much MF?

Anyway what do you guys think of using alpha's howl and maybe adding an aura or two?

...what do you guys think would be the best 6L setup for single target damage?

The build is fairly close to min-maxed give the goals of the build: map clear speed, survivability, MF, and some utility.

The only additional aura that makes sense for the build is AA, but it's not required and takes away up to 50% IIR. Not worth the sacrifice imho if you want to run it with Alpha's. You can run AA if you want instead of Clarity, which is just there for QoL to make running reduced recovery maps easier, but tbh with this build you shouldn't be standing still, which renders AA pointless. There's no damage aura that benefits the cloud damage.

If you really wanted to go ham with single target dps you would craft a +3 bow with Essence of Delerium (750 chaos DoT for 10 seconds) and instead of running a 5L Frenzy CoH, you would run a 3L (Frenzy CoH Vuln) and throw Vaal Lit Trap in the same links, dropping the increased duration gem, put Blood Rage elsewhere, and run a 6L Essence Drain (Void Manip, Rapid Decay, Slower Proj, Empower, and probably something like Point Blank).
Last edited by Serleth on Feb 25, 2017, 6:00:46 PM
Thoughts on high single target DPS CA build.

For very potent single target DPS I've been toying with the idea of rolling Necromancer and taking the Beacon of Corruption (BoC) ascendancy.

To generate single target clouds, over-summon a golem, probably a Chaos golem. Summoning more than the allowed number of golems causes the current golem to die and generates a toxic cloud. Using appropriate passives and gem links, and maybe a primordial might jewel, golem life can be extremely high and thus the corresponding cloud is far more potent than CA's.

To circumvent the 6-second summoning cool down for summoning golems, you can link the golem gem with trap (and maybe multi-trap).

Necromancer has some nice chaos damage synergies with CA so the class choice shouldn't prove too bad for CA DPS either.

Anyhow, the above would be pretty cool to test out - busy working on my chaos spam simulator at the moment though :-).

Last edited by hankinsohl on Feb 26, 2017, 4:16:17 AM
"
Serleth wrote:
"
Anyway we can min max it w/o giving up too much MF?

Anyway what do you guys think of using alpha's howl and maybe adding an aura or two?

...what do you guys think would be the best 6L setup for single target damage?

The build is fairly close to min-maxed give the goals of the build: map clear speed, survivability, MF, and some utility.

The only additional aura that makes sense for the build is AA, but it's not required and takes away up to 50% IIR. Not worth the sacrifice imho if you want to run it with Alpha's. You can run AA if you want instead of Clarity, which is just there for QoL to make running reduced recovery maps easier, but tbh with this build you shouldn't be standing still, which renders AA pointless. There's no damage aura that benefits the cloud damage.

If you really wanted to go ham with single target dps you would craft a +3 bow with Essence of Delerium (750 chaos DoT for 10 seconds) and instead of running a 5L Frenzy CoH, you would run a 3L (Frenzy CoH Vuln) and throw Vaal Lit Trap in the same links, dropping the increased duration gem, put Blood Rage elsewhere, and run a 6L Essence Drain (Void Manip, Rapid Decay, Slower Proj, Empower, and probably something like Point Blank).

I'll probably drop the alpha howl and spec out of charisma once I'm done leveling enlighten. I agree that we don't have any aura's that can scale the cloud damage and using alpha howl makes it much harder to cap resistances. What do you think about haste to increase movement speed and attack speed?
"
I'll probably drop the alpha howl and spec out of charisma once I'm done leveling enlighten. I agree that we don't have any aura's that can scale the cloud damage and using alpha howl makes it much harder to cap resistances. What do you think about haste to increase movement speed and attack speed?

The way I have it set up with double quicksilvers means the movement speed isn't really that necessary, and attack speed has no benefit given the cloud damage doesn't stack.
Chaos Spam Simulator
Spoiler

I finally knuckled down and spent some time this weekend on my chaos spam simulator.

The simulator is a program which simulates the results of applying chaos orbs to an item.

It uses data-mined mod probability weightings plus the results of some empirical tests I've discussed in previous threads to hopefully come close to what you'd see by spamming chaos orbs on an item in game.

The program takes an xml file as input which contains a description of the item you want to chaos; the xml file also contains whatever requirements you want the item to satisfy.

I've written the simulator such that, if requirements are not immediately met by a rolled item, craftable mods are applied providing that affix space exists. Thus, a rolled item is counted as a successful roll even if you need to apply a craftable mod to meet requirements. Multi-modding isn't supported.

Here's the output for a few simulations.

ILevel 84 Vaal Regalia. Requirement: ES >= 600. 200 iterations, verbose output
Spoiler

Iterations: 200
Item:
Name: body_armour_int
Item Level: 84
Requirements:
total_energy_shield: 600

Requirements met 13 out of 200 tries (6.500%)

Successes:
Rolled 1 times:
Filler Prefix 1
T2: energy_shield=135
T2: energy_shield_percent=120
Filler Suffix 1

Rolled 1 times:
Haku 7: energy_shield=22
T1: es_percent_and_sbr_percent=56
T1: energy_shield_percent=132
Filler Suffix 1
Filler Suffix 2

Rolled 1 times:
T3: es_percent_and_sbr_percent=41
T5: energy_shield=48
Filler Suffix 1
Filler Suffix 2

Rolled 1 times:
Haku 2: energy_shield_percent=52
T1: energy_shield=145
T3: es_percent_and_sbr_percent=41
Filler Suffix 1
Filler Suffix 2

Rolled 3 times:
Filler Prefix 1
Haku 4: energy_shield_percent=68
Filler Suffix 1
Filler Suffix 2

Rolled 1 times:
Filler Prefix 1
T2: energy_shield=135
T3: energy_shield_percent=100
Filler Suffix 1

Rolled 1 times:
T4: energy_shield=72
Filler Suffix 1
Filler Suffix 2
Filler Suffix 3

Rolled 1 times:
Filler Suffix 1
Filler Suffix 2
Filler Suffix 3

Rolled 1 times:
Filler Prefix 1
Filler Suffix 1
Filler Suffix 2
Filler Suffix 3

Rolled 1 times:
Filler Prefix 1
T3: energy_shield=106
Filler Suffix 1

Rolled 1 times:
Haku 2: energy_shield_percent=52
T4: es_percent_and_sbr_percent=32
Filler Suffix 1
Filler Suffix 2
Filler Suffix 3

The verbose option was used above just for illustration purposes. The simulator treats mods that don't contribute towards requirements as "filler" and consolidates identical rolls based only on the attributes that are relevant.

Verbose output can get quite lengthy so the remaining runs use succinct output. To improve accuracy the remaining runs use 50000 iterations.

ILevel 80 Vaal Regalia. Requirement: ES >= 800. 50000 iterations
Spoiler

Iterations: 50000
Item:
Item Level: 80
Requirements:
total_energy_shield: 800

Requirements met 31 out of 50000 tries (0.062%)

ILevel 84 Vaal Regalia. Requirement: ES >= 800. 50000 iterations
Spoiler

Item:
Requirements:

Requirements met 113 out of 50000 tries (0.226%)

ILevel 84 Vaal Regalia. Requirements: ES >= 800 and int >= 20. 50000 iterations
Spoiler

Item:
Requirements:
int: 20

Requirements met 104 out of 50000 tries (0.208%)

Note - I haven't done anything approaching thorough testing of the simulator so there's every chance that it contains some bugs.

The results above indicate that you'd need about 450-500 chaos or so on average to roll an 800 ES chest. This feels about right - I never hit such a chest after 250 or so attempts.

Interestingly, the results also indicate that if you try to roll an 800 ES chest often times you'll end up getting at least 20 int as well, either on the original roll or by crafting.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Feb 26, 2017, 10:03:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info