Steam now offers refunds if you don't like a game for any reason

Two conditions: you can do it within 14 days of the purchase, and you haven't played the game for more than two hours. I think this is pretty great, now we can try the early access ripoff games and refund them if they are utter shit. Thanks GabeN.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
IGN : @Morgoth
That would be a nice stat to be able to view - "How Many People Have Refunded This Game"

EDIT: I want to play that game :(
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Jun 2, 2015, 3:51:06 PM
Really bad for games. Expect to see a bunch of games out there that simply are designed to meet that "two hour" benchmark.
From what I read, it's mainly going to be Valve games that can be refunded. Any other game companies will have to "enable" or "allow" the refunds, or something along those lines.

Also, dat game. pls.
Refunds in general are a good thing, but the system itself needs work to overcome the negative effects - which is fine since it's only just introduced and we can't expect it to be perfect right out the gate, but I do hope it's adjusted and improved as time goes on, and worry about the effects if it isn't.

As an obvious starting point, a flat 2 hours as the cutoff clearly doesn't fit all games. I've played really good games that could be completed in two hours, and I definitely don't like the idea that such games can't be made any more without "padding them out" so people don't get the full experience and then refund it. It's a tricky problem to solve, but one of the best things about video games is the wide variety of experiences they have, which makes one-size-fits-all approaches like this really not work well, especially when they have the potential to remove financial viability from a large section of that overall variety.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jun 4, 2015, 10:48:06 PM
I hope they increase their customer service department because they are going to be busy processing all the complaints from people arguing the 2 hour point.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Last edited by peachii on Jun 5, 2015, 5:41:14 AM
"
Brotherhawk wrote:
From what I read, it's mainly going to be Valve games that can be refunded. Any other game companies will have to "enable" or "allow" the refunds, or something along those lines.

Also, dat game. pls.

I read it differently, though not saying I'm right; I thought they were saying that enabling/allowing applies to in game purchases, but that all games will be refundable. It also doesn't (and obviously can't) apply to consumable in game purchases that give boosts or create irrevocable changes to your character or account.

"
As an obvious starting point, a flat 2 hours as the cutoff clearly doesn't fit all games.

They seem to have this covered, though they didn't go into detail about how they will enforce their planned policy of refusing refunds to people who they think are abusing the system to just play games for free.

Source.
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Steam stats would show that lots of people doesn't play the games they buy within the 14 first days after they purchased it (at least it should be the case during sales). That's considering that new policy won't change that behavior though, which is of course not sure at all.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Jun 5, 2015, 7:24:36 AM
I'm actually really upset Steam wont let me refund ESO right now just because I have 28 hours of playtime on it (I only bought it 8 days ago). I didn't even get to most of the content in the game and it took me 28 hours to make sure I didn't want to. I wonder what happens if you just keep requesting a refund on the same game even after they decline it?
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info