When will we get our Herald of Poison / Herald of Blades?

The three heralds we have now are cool, but we should have more options. Only three elements are featured now (even if Ash scales of physical, it doesn't add any physical damage), and PoE has five different types of damage. Hence, 5 heralds seems logical.

Just a quick suggestion, feel free to add your ideas, I tried to keep the general spirits of Heralds; 1 permanent effect and 1 triggered effect under certain conditions:

Herald of Poison:

Chaos damage first depletes Energy Shield instead of life, and penetrates chaos resistance
=> lvl 1: 16% chaos resistance penetration, lvl 20: 35% chaos resistance penetration

When your damage causes an enemy to enter low Energy Shield status (falls below 35%), you and allies standing close to you heal
=> lvl 1: 6% of life and ES healed, lvl 20: 25% of life and ES healed.

This is a very PvP minded Herald. It really sucks that in PvP it's risky to specialize in chaos damage because CI are completely immune to it. This lvl 20 herald causes such opponents to have 65% chaos resistance and your chaos damage will damage their ES.

This absolutely doesn't mean CI's lose all their advantage in PvP vs chaos damage. An average CI character has more then 10k ES so with 65% chaos resist they will still be very very tanky. But at least you have a game.

The healing part is more PvE minded, because 1 occasional heal of a quarter of your health doesn't mean much in fast-paced PvP. In PvE however, this ability can heal you a lot when facing lots of monsters with ES. Note though that many monsters don't have ES, and even if they have, just killing them in one hit when they are still above 35% doesn't trigger the effect.

Herald of Blades:

Spells have added physical damage
=> lvl 1: 4-6 added phys dam, lvl 20: 88-132 added phys dam

When enemy armour has negated a certain treshold of physical damage, your attacks negate all armour rating for 3 seconds
=> lvl 1: your level x 88 damage prevented by armour
=> lvl 2: your level x 50 damage prevented by armour

The option to add a physical damage component to spells can give way to new builds.
And the second effect, only affecting attacks, allows you to completely penetrate enemy armour rating for a short time.

And just for the fun, I also added this one:

Herald of Blood:

Attacks and Spells have a chance to cause bleeding
=> lvl 1: 6% chance, lvl 20: 15% chance

If you apply a new bleed to an enemy that is already bleeding, all enemies around the target will start bleeding for the same amount
=> lvl 1: 0% increased AoE, lvl 20: 38% increased AoE

There are not many spells doing physical damage to benefit from the bleed chance, but I really like the idea of causing bleed with Ethereal Knives. The effect adds AoE to the bleeding mechanic, which should be reasonably small. This is mostly meant as an alternative to melee splash.

Now bring on your suggestions!

Last edited by Soepkieken on May 27, 2015, 7:43:22 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Soepkieken wrote:

Chaos damage first depletes Energy Shield instead of life

I'm pretty sure the point of chaos damage is not needing to deplete energy shield at all. Having this herald active seems to be very counterproductive.
"
This absolutely doesn't mean CI's lose all their advantage in PvP vs chaos damage. An average CI character has more then 10k ES so with 65% chaos resist they will still be very very tanky.

This is where I stopped reading... If you have 10k ES and 65% chaos resist AND ONLY ONE LIFE POINT you will die instantly from ANY chaos damage.
"
SuperMotte wrote:
"
This absolutely doesn't mean CI's lose all their advantage in PvP vs chaos damage. An average CI character has more then 10k ES so with 65% chaos resist they will still be very very tanky.

This is where I stopped reading... If you have 10k ES and 65% chaos resist AND ONLY ONE LIFE POINT you will die instantly from ANY chaos damage.

Then you must have skipped this part
"
"
almostdead wrote:
"
SuperMotte wrote:
"

Then you must have skipped this part
"

"
almostdead wrote:
"
Soepkieken wrote:

I'm pretty sure the point of chaos damage is not needing to deplete energy shield at all. Having this herald active seems to be very counterproductive.

So it kind of got useless.

Besides CI makes you immune to chaos damage which shouldn't be penetratable in my opinion. Technically GGG simply put chaos resistance to 100% I guess but since the keystone says immune you actually should be immune.
All this does is make low life aura builds not reliant on shavs. Kinda down, kinda not down. I dont really want to see MORE low life BM auras.
The ideas in general of the OP are good, but the implementation is poor.

I mean, I agree that right now there is a severe lack of chaos damage builds as well as pure physical builds. There's just too much emphasis on Fire, Cold, and Lightning.

I've been wanting for a long time to have more than just Poison Arrow and Viper Strike. As well a physical damage aura or some kind of booster is sorely need with how few ways there are to buff phys damage (of course it can't buff phys dmg too much or other parts of the game would have to change).

Or something like a metal shard explosion when you damage/crit (or daggers). Or even that awesome looking whirling blades skill from Diablo 2 for the assassin. There's lots of room for improvement on this front.

I was hoping the expansion would veer away a bit from fire, ice, lightning.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info