Login Error There has been a patch that you need steam/GGG

Sounds like the same problem of why your game isn't patching.

You likely have some over-aggressive antivirus blocking the process.
"
Cheetahka wrote:
I tried to install the quickSFV but it doesn't work so I went to the webpage quicksfv.org and downloaded it there as well I still get the same error message:
[..]

I've uploaded a copy of the 32-bit binary here

It appears to work fine stand-alone like this however since you obviously wont have the shell extensions setup you'll have to just launch it and manually browse to the poe.sfv I gave you.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Last edited by Emjayen on May 28, 2015, 7:37:41 PM
Results of the SFV:

Spoiler
QuickSFV v2.36
avutil-ttv-51.dll
Client.exe
CrashUpload.exe
libcurl-ttv.dll
libeay32-ttv.dll
libmfxsw32.dll
libmp3lame-ttv.dll
libx264-128.dll
ogg.dll
OpenAL32.dll
PackCheck.exe
PathOfExile.exe
ssleay32-ttv.dll
swresample-ttv-0.dll
twitchsdk_32_release.dll
vorbis.dll
vorbisfile.dll
wrap_oal.dll
18 files checked
There were 3 missing files

on a side note I use McAfee antivirus
Let's try that again, didn't come out like i thought it would. Here is a Picture instead:

SFV results:

Did you try deactivating the real-time protection/scanning for your antivirus and also completely disable it?

To me, it really seems like it's blocking.
Follow Drakier's suggestion and try disabling McAfee (It is plausible, however unlikely)

[ What follows are some of my thoughts while troubleshooting Cheetahka's situation; maybe someone can see something I missed ]

The real question is "How is he managing to pass the patch check yet still fail the version check?"

One possibility is that he is using a rogue copy¹ of the game's client (possibly from a previous installation, or given his situation simply the result of trying to get the game working). This would work because the patch check only verifies the cumulative hash of the archive's files and the relevant binaries in the local file system² and therefor would not catch the rogue executable during the patch check but would during the version check (for reasons explained in a moment)

Another possibility assumes that the version check involves verifying a hash of the client module³ which, given something occurring at runtime, would explain why the patch check isn't catching it. A quick test involving duplicating PathOfExile, renaming it, and with a small change to the PE header
confirms this is indeed (atleast in part) what the version check does⁴.

This opens up plenty of possibilities (e.g, an anti-virus hooking calls, or possibly even a hack injected at runtime fiddling with things) however the test to prove the original hypothesis --that the version check uses a module hash-- reveals something curious: if the PE header (something that can legitimately vary at runtime) is covered by the hash then what other parts of the image header are erroneously assumed to be static?

If assumptions are made for instance about the import lookup table (which is reasonable assuming carefully crafted base addresses for dependent modules⁵) then there's plenty of reasons for this to break down; if there's delay-loaded modules then this would also certainly introduce a problem (which, although originally discarded as a possible cause, those missing libraries in the quicksfv report could in the end actually be required⁶)

Infact the solution may be in a clue the user gave where-in he reported success by circumventing the patch check using --nopatch as it makes no sense and would suggest I'm totally wrong, or alternatively could be the original hypothesis (shortcut to the rogue executable?) or maybe a different working directory.

¹ PathOfExile.exe.exe anyone?

² question: Does the game use relative paths or does it base it from some configuration entry (e.g, from the registry). The latter case would make the accidental usage of a rogue client much more plausible (although I don't suspect it's the case)

³ "module" being the semantic name for an image (in this case PathOfExile.exe) that has been mapped into memory

⁴ conclusive evidence for this will require some proper analysis however it does seem likely (not simply due to say, a security check since without the modification the copy connects just fine)

⁵ not investigated

⁶ then again, it that were the case it should've been catched by the patcher.
Last edited by Emjayen on May 29, 2015, 3:06:50 AM
Emjayen: assuming everything in the thread was actually done, he should have a fresh PathOfExile.exe and content file.

One of the first things I suggested was downloading the PoE.exe directly from the server link, and a follow-up was to delete/rename the content file.

This leads me to believe one of two possibilities.

1) antivirus is stupid
2) The stuff I'm suggesting being done and the launching path are different. IE: we've been messing with the wrong folder.

I can't really assume much more based on the current thread/situation.

I'm really at a loss at this point and am more likely to just suggest a compete os reinstall and make the video drivers and PoE the first things that get installed.
It might be overkill, but it should "fix" it.
Last edited by Drakier on May 29, 2015, 10:07:18 AM
Indeed, it can be confidently assumed that he has a valid installation --in terms of file correctness on disk-- at least somewhere. As covered in my previous post, I too suspect it may be a case of either we've been working on the wrong directory or something of that nature.

--

@Cheetahka

Could you please verify there is only one instance of Path of Exile on your computer? To be thorough, perform a complete computer search for the file PathOfExile.exe and Client.exe

(I recommend using the file indexing tool "Everything" for this rather than explorer's search feature)

Also, could you elaborate on how you've been launching the game during this time? e.g,

- Are you launching it directly from the installation folder via PathOfExile.exe?
- Have you/are you using Client.exe?
- Are you using a shortcut? (and if so, paste the Target and Start In fields contained in it's Properties page.

Additionally try deleting the game's configuration files as I believe they aren't removed upon uninstallation. These are located in a folder called Path of Exile which should be contained in the folder C:\Users\<YourUsername>\My Games

Lastly, follow these steps to produce a minidump:

- Launch Path of Exile normally.
- Download Process Explorer and extract to a directory of your choice.
- Launch the contained executable procexp.exe
- In Process Explorer locate the process PathOfExile.exe. Right-click and select Create Dump then Create Minidump and save to an easily accessible location.
- Upload the dump file you just created using a service such as Wikisend and post the resulting download link.
Last edited by Emjayen on May 30, 2015, 7:02:12 AM
Wow a lot of that was way over my head lol, but here's what you asked for:

First I have the shortcut set to have admin rights so i just double click it and accept the admin permissions to proceed with game. This is the Target line (i added the perameters because I only have 2gigs ram and crash from low memory). I also changed the texture level to 3 (posted up in one of the replies).

"C:\Program Files\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe" --nopatch -gc 2

and No I don't use the client.exe I tried at first when I had problems with all of this because of some posts I read.

Yes my McAfee is turned off (live scan is off and firewall has PoE set as an Exception).

Also my current copy is the stand alone I got directly from PoE. I originally had it on Steam but when it started to give me the log in patch error. I deleted it and tried the stand alone.

next I used that everything program as asked these imgs are of the PathOfExile.exe and Client.exe

and

Is this the file you wanted me to delete? Want to make sure before I do, also will doing so cause a new one to be made?

I'll have to post the last part with the dump file info in a different reply.
This is the link to the DMP mini dump that you requested. just fyi I had to run the process explorer with admin rights in order to create the dump file.

[URL=http://wikisend.com/download/890258/PathOfExile.dmp]PathOfExile.dmp[/URL]

I created this file prior to deleting the config file. Not sure if that will make a difference. If so let me know and Ill redo the minidump and post again.

[URL=http://wikisend.com/download/890258/PathOfExile.dmp]PathOfExile.dmp[/URL]

I set the minidump download for 30days.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all your time and attention it's appreciated.

just fyi currently in game I'm on my second run though with a lv 43 witch carpetbomber!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info