-

\
Last edited by ZyzzAesthetic on Jul 5, 2015, 10:30:16 PM
With Avatar you can only deal fire damage. No physical, no chaos, no other elements than fire.
Thus the convertion to lightning will do smth (because damage will be affected by elemental nodes if u convert more thus u will see the change on tooltip) and divide it by 2 afterwards. It will not make much difference however because of penalty.

Cold to fire could make some sense in this regard.

The design with avatar is using as much auras, added fire gem, added lightning, added cold - raw base damage and fire penetration gem, flammability or EE on top of it so that it would offset the penalty.

Note that with avatar you may use just fire damage nodes, if you specialize it gives u better scaling. Burning damage, the same story. Thats the logic of AoF.

Looks to me like your calculation is just fine and danady. Fully correct, as far as I can tell. I played most before Physical to Lightning was released, so my impression of AoF builds is that most of the time, AoF builds should use builds with native conversion for full optimization - Infernal Blow, for example.

The "penalty" that GermanCrusade refers to, in your case, would be about 25% conversion less because 50% of original -> lightning and 50% of that = 25% of that -> fire and the other 25% = lost lightning damage or "penalty" as GermanCrusade calls it.

With 50% or more native conversion as in Infernal Blow's case, 100% of fire will be converted to Fire damage with AoF, leading to 0% "damage penalty." This is also why GermanCrusade recommends Cold to Fire, because it will allow any pure cold damage to have lossless conversion to fire with AoF. Note that with 50%+ native conversion (IB), you also free up a Support gem slot for more damage.

I'm a hipster so I say it's definitely helpful to use Phyiscal to Lightning if there is some active skill that is 100% physically based but you just must have it for whatever reason (Flicker strike/Leap slam utility, perhaps), and have room for it in your links. I say it is helpful because it can take a 50% damage penalty and lower it into a 25% damage penalty (or a 50% multiplier and increase it into a 75% one). I would probably not recommend this route on a main/primary skill for a build, though, because 25% damage loss is quite significant. Double-however, you might know something I don't about a really kickass Phyiscal skill that synergizes well with Fire-type properties, in which case you'd have a reason to go against GermanCrusade's and my recommendations.

Nice job with the conversion mechanics! They can definitely be confusing at times.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on May 26, 2015, 3:11:51 AM
Not sure, but think Added Fire Damage will net you more/the same damage compared to Added Lightning. Level 20 Added Fire is 39% from AoF. :-P

With Added Fire you'll end up like this:

100 Physical=

39 from Added Fire
50 From AoF conversion
Which nets us 89 damage. Almost the same, but Added Fire gem also gets the quality which increases fire damage. (this will include your 50 Fire damage converted by AoF). Phy to Lightning increases Phy/lightning damage, which is not as useful. :P You can always use both, tho... :D
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Perq wrote:
Not sure, but think Added Fire Damage will net you more/the same damage compared to Added Lightning. Level 20 Added Fire is 39% from AoF. :-P

Added Fire and Physt'o'Lightning net the exact same results.
Added Fire grants 15% Increased Fire Damage, which applies to all Damage dealt.
PtL grants 10% Physical Damage, which applies to all Damage dealt, as well as 10% Lightning Damage which applies to ~40% of Damage dealt. It's very slightly weaker. :P

The biggest factor in favour of Added Fire though, is that it is not Conversion: this means it won't lose potency when used with Skills that naturally Convert damage. The moment you have any other sources of Physical Conversion, PtL loses out notably.
Yes it's how it works.

Hrimmsorrow gloves + cold to fire + AOF + chernobog's pillar is also doable.

oh and the ring "pyre" is awesome.

Anyway with AOF you can use Fire penetration with a stack of different elements

Oh and do not forget weapon elemental damage gem, it will boost the converted damage differently.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info