Why Cyclone Is Mechanically Superior

I have a hard time contextualizing the proposed change, but I don't think I like it.

As it is, I force move to where I want to be then shift-rightclick.
I think I'd be mostly annoyed at the loss of control when I want to focus the guy where I clicked and not hit the guy in front of him.
Yeah so I would imagine if you name lock it will always go to hit that target but if you were to just click empty space, instead of walking over to there and swinging into the air it would clear the way to that point.
Nuh.
Under your proposal, if you miss the namelock you have the irritating habit of hitting the skellie in front of the Necro instead of moving to his location. So it would just complicate the few times you do want to name lock. Generally "stickiness" is a bad thing where positioning is concerned.

I think force move and shift-click solves most targeting problems adequately well as is.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on May 23, 2015, 1:22:31 AM
You are right, the character would swing at the skeleton if you were to miss click the name. However currently if you were to miss click the name, you would walk to the spot and swing into the air.
wouldnt that be instant death to minara anemina? I dont want to randomly hit her minion spawns while trying to path to her.

Multistrike autotargets, you dont namelock, you just get within range and hold down fire, multistrike will target for you. I think the only time I ever intentionally bother to make sure I name lock is when I take out multistrike to single target minara without it autotargetting her minions around me. Rest of the time I randomly put my cursor towards the mob I want to hit and hold down the kill switch.
Snorkle_uk: Not really. If you name lock, it would path to Minara and attack her (no difference to how it would be currently). Also currently if you shift-click, that first swing with Multistrike will miss unless you swung at an enemy.
Here's the way D3 does it, which works fine in my opinion:

Click on empty ground, your character will avoid using his primary attack even if body blocked.

Click on an enemy, your character will namelock attack that enemy but nothing else (I think?).

Click and hold an an enemy, and your character will namelock attack that enemy and anything in between. After that enemy dies, you can continue to move around following the mouse cursor, and your character will auto-attack any enemies that are in his way.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
That sounds perfect for PoE!
Different to what I suggested but I like this better.
Last edited by spectrexr6 on May 23, 2015, 4:16:36 AM
This was called "right click driving" in D2 and yes, it is fucking amazing.

It's why Frenzy barbs were able to keep up with WW barbs for clearspeed despite using a single target attack instead of an AoE.

If anyone ever played a Weresin, it was the only reason the build actually worked. With high ias claws, you could reach 2fpa (and thus 12.5 attacks/s). It was absolutely impossible to use if you were clicking enemy names one at a time, which is exactly the situation we're in in PoE and non-aoe melee attacks.
Last edited by pneuma on May 23, 2015, 4:25:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info