Can Intelligence builds work with spells from different elements at the same time?

Now these might just be my Elder Scrolls tendencies, but I were to make let's say a Witch, I'd like to be able to use spells from the three different elements at the same time (just one spell from two different elements, for example). Basically is a build with a spell like Fireball and Glacial Cascade viable, for example? (not the ones I would use specifically, just giving a random example)
Thank you.
Yes it work but due to the availability of links it' almost always better to use one main skill and perhaps a support skill that is situationally better.
It's fairly common for Cast on Crit wand builds to use two spells at once. As Invictus says the usual problem is that you have insufficient links available to run two spells at sufficient power (except for CoC, which is mostly focused on just spamming the spell en masse).
thats not always true, something like arc can be brutal in a vertex/geofris with their +1 gem levels, leaving your chest free, you could even use a staff and have arc in your hat with 2x 5/6 link spells in staff and chest. Rime Gaze has conc effect support making it a 5 link, its perfectly viable to run multiple element spells if you build for it. You just have to stay clear of any nodes that buff one of your spells but not the other(s), go for pure elemental, dual elemental, spell damage, crit, cast speed etc.
Indeed, it's possible if your heart is set on it.

A nice and cheap configuration would be flame totem in Searing Touch staff, some long range safety sniping spell like Ice Spear in your chest and Lightning Tendrils in aforementioned Rime Gaze for short range. That way you will probably use your entire arsenal.

Multiple elements aren't popular in PoE because there are no elemental immune enemies and penetration supports take care of resistant ones so mixing it up is not a big advantage.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Of course they can. Most of my caster builds wind up being 2-element builds, sometimes even 3 (my only existing caster right now uses RF, glacial cascade, and ball lightning).

Just helps to work with offensive mechanics that scale all of them at once, like 'elemental damage'/'spell damage' (if they're all actually spells)/'increased AoE radius and AoE damage'/'projectile damage' where applicable. Crit or cursing (ele weakness/assassin's mark) generally help out all elements simultaneously too.
I was thinking Elemental Equilibrium with Ball Lightning and Freezing Pulse.
My summoner guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1765329
My shop thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1748967
Traps work just as well if you're planning to use two or more elements.

all you need to remember is to avoid speccing into elemental specific nodes,since it only benefits a portion of your arsenal. Aside from that, it's completely doable.
Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.
"
Kaz2ndChance wrote:
I was thinking Elemental Equilibrium with Ball Lightning and Freezing Pulse.

This will be a pain in the arse for two reasons.

First, if you're manually casting each of these you're going to be constantly swapping which button you're pressing, which is just going to end up hurting your hands and fingers. And if you do it too slowly your DPS will go down because you won't be casting as early as you could.

Second, these spells propagate at different speeds, and are optimal at different ends of the speed spectrum. Ball lightning is a lot slower and does multiple AoE hits along the way. With EE this will mean most of the procs are hitting resistant enemies, dropping DPS.

Furthermore, Ball lightning is better the slower it goes due to the AoE hits. On the other hand, freezing pulse is better the faster it goes, since its damage dies off the closer it gets to its maximum range, so increasing speed ups its maximum range and therefore the area where it is doing its greatest damage. This puts you in a conflict: you would like +projectile speed nodes or gems for the pulse, but do not want them (and indeed want a slower projectile gem) for the ball lightning.

In an odd way, this may make spell echo actually good for at least one of the spells. Normally I'd say you're just ruining your DPS on two fronts: without echo you're casting slower; and with EE the second cast is hitting a resistant enemy if you do have echo. Possibly the AoE procs on the ball lightning will let an echoing pulse hit vulnerable enemies on both passes, and make more of the ball procs hit vulnerable enemies, but you'd have to math or test that out. It would require rather precise timing to get the absolute most out of. Since ball lightning procs every 200 ms, it fires out 5 times a second, which is at least possible for a spell to be cast at.

And now on a bit of a tangent...

In my experience most builds that can really exploit EE are CoC builds. These can fire new volleys approximately every .2 seconds, with the spell linked later being slightly behind the first (if both get cast, that is). Wands will use fireball+arctic breath (very similar and travel at the same base speeds) or fireball + freezing pulse (the pulse is mainly for the built-in pierce that lets you hit multiple mobs, but if you're hitting large packs you're going to have trouble with the fireballs getting through to alter vulnerability). Sometimes ice spear is used for the cold spell, due to its high crit chance (and short range piercing). Melee is usually something like ice nova + discharge, or possibly just discharge plus a weapon that deals an element the discharge won't be doing. Straight ice nova is much weaker, but if you're too poor to afford charge generation or you don't want to be hated as a lag build in parties it's a good substitute.

I had fun for awhile with EE, herald of thunder, and barrage (or kinetic blast)+ice spear+chain+GMP wand CoC setup. Here the wand hits make mobs vulnerable to the high crit chance ice spears, both of which then bounce around as long as there's more than one target. It gets (painfully) weak against single target (extremely so with Kinetic Blast instead of barrage, but Kinetic is better against groups in my experience) because then the chain is doing you no good and is just upping mana cost for less damage. But with several targets the potential for a mob to get hit several times by an almost sure-crit ice spear led to a lot of clear capacity (and shatters) through early endgame, and made mobs coming from outside the cone of your main attack less problematic (since a projectile can chain over to the side and trigger a critical cast volley in their direction). The chain was also just amusing when it caused ice spears to come flying through from off-screen, especially if they were coming uphill (this makes them get rendered larger on the screen).
Looks like everyone has forgotten discharge...

Just run a discharge build so you can use all elements as a mage xD.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info