Deterministic Lockstep and improvements on desync

To OP, I haven't tried it, but I think what you must remember is that news is good, either for lockstep (low ping) or predictive (high ping). Bugs are still being fixed, so things will keep getting better. And that there is no point to complain about high ping not working with lockstep, as it is not meant for high ping by design.

No bad news, this is all good, for everyone.
Last edited by EnafAequi on May 21, 2015, 11:28:09 AM
80 ping in Frankfurt server, lockstep has been greatly working for me.
"
EnafAequi wrote:
To OP, I haven't tried it, but I think what you must remember is that news is good, either for lockstep (low ping) or predictive (high ping). Bugs are still being fixed, so things will keep getting better. And that there is no point to complain about high ping not working with lockstep, as it is not meant for high ping by design.

No bad news, this is all good, for everyone.

Yes it seems that so far the new system and improvements to the old one have been working great (aside the inevitable bugs) from the replies I got here.

Still we dont know if lockstep will work great when the rest of the playerbase gets to use it, so we shouldnt celebrate so early. I have high hopes :D

About the questions I made in the OP about high ping, it was mostly to know about the real experiences of people trying lockstep with such circumstances. I knew from the beggining that lockstep is meant for low ping players, but is always nice to know how it manages for other people.
Last edited by MANGUERA on May 21, 2015, 11:48:49 AM
If anyone doesn't have access to the beta and is wondering how lockstep is, let me just get any worries/fears you have out of your mind now--it's as good, if not better than advertised. It's like playing offline, with no lag. It's that good. It was great when I had 75-80 ping, but once the new servers launched yesterday and a fresh new 22-30 ping from the US East server, it became godlike.

It WILL take a few hours of playing to get used to it, and probably even longer if you have an /oos macro as you'll continue to mash it until you realize it does nothing. But once you run around a pack of charging Rhoas without taking damage because you can actually see exactly where they are and the path they take, it'll bring a tear to your eye.
"
FINALBOSS wrote:
It WILL take a few hours of playing to get used to it, and probably even longer if you have an /oos macro as you'll continue to mash it until you realize it does nothing. But once you run around a pack of charging Rhoas without taking damage because you can actually see exactly where they are and the path they take, it'll bring a tear to your eye.

This!

And when you do get a lag spike and things freeze briefly, it does not start up with you and the mobs somewhere else. It continues right from where you were.
I tried it now, it's great. It feels a bit weird at first because there is a tiny delay when you do stuff (30 ms for me) but I got used to it quite fast.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
it's like our char have some very small inertia but we get used to it. ( 30 ms too )
IGN TylordRampage
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
"
silumit wrote:
I'm not in the beta but this is supposedly so gud that Chris even locked desync thread in manifesto. And f**k the people with high latency, they supposedly don't have anything of value to say about it anyway, right?..

There are only two ways to fix the problems of people with high latency.

One is to develop time travel capabilities and let them see the future (this is predictive mode more or less).

The other is to refine server infrastructure.

GGG is doing the latter and, realistically, you can't ask much more than that given how technology actually functions.

There is actually another option, and it is to allow the client to timestamp its own actions, with a little wondows of acceptance with respect to the server. This would solve lag in single player, but it is a little tricky to implement. In multiplayer there are also some small security issue to handle, especially in PvP.

"
GooberM wrote:

It's not fully eliminated. I desync'd to Brutus yesterday. I saw the chain go past me, and a second later I was next to him and had taken damage.

Earlier today, there were too many mobs in a pack, and couldn't go past them because they were too tightly packed. I clicked on the other side of them, turned around in cirlces, and wound up past them anyway.

It's way better though.

That's 100% a bug. Lockstep is incompatible with such behaviour.
Roma timezone (Italy)
Ok, so i'll add my experience so far aswell, maybe it'll help someone.

I'm playing from central Europe and usually have ping ~20-40. With predictive mode, it usually was okay(ish) as long as i didn't use any movement based skills, desync was frequent (as we all know it) but didn't destroy the game for me.

With lockstep on, these are the setups i've tested and my impressions:

Usual setup, only PoE taking bandwith: game is pretty much what you'd expect from an APRG. So far no major lagspikes or lag caused problems i could notice, everything's working as you'd expect.

When i turned on a stream to run in the background (while watching competitive Dota2, i often play PoE between the games and leave the stream on so i know when the games resume) it's still decently playable although the delay is indeed noticeable. You can feel the slower input, when there are lag spikes the screen seems to "tear" or "blur", not really sure how to describe it properly, but if you know lag spikes you'll know what i'm talking about once you see it. All that doesn't really hinder the gameplay, but it surely makes combat more clunky and less enjoyable. But i'd say that this is a common problem when you don't have a decent hardware/gaming setup, so nothing new here.

Overall lockstep mode for me feels really, really satisfying, and i actually want to try a build where i use Leapslam for more than just move over obstacles from time to time. Up until now, risk of desync really kept me from using leap slam in combat situations.
I am a minority player from India playing in Singapore server. Just 5 mins ago I had my first death due to desync in the Harvest (Merciless) so I came online to find out more about lockstep, desync, etc.
I'm playing a cyclone mara with lots of leap slam at 130--150 ms.

I have had lag spikes on maps with large monster packs and when I open strongboxes.

Should I turn predictive mode on?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info