Legacy items are bullshit

Okay I have read several pages of this but not all 31 but this is still my opinion on these matters.

1. Legacy items are not obtainable for new players. This is not true. Yes they can not drop but as has been said many times over you can still purchase them. You can save up and buy them just like you can any other item if it is that vital to your build. Yes they will cost you more but outside of a legacy shavs, they are cheaper than any mirrored item in the game and no where near as "broken" as any of those mirrored weapons. You just have to put forth the effort of obtaining them.

2. I don't see how people can make the argument of that it ruins their game play. I mean really what are we talking about with this? You can't do the obscene build that someone else is able to do? Then play a different build. Outside of a very few number of items is there really anything that just flat out CAN'T be done? no. I will admit that they may not do it as well or as easily, but it can still be done. Is a LL Legacy Shavs build better than my LL Non-Legacy Shavs build, slightly but I can still do it. Unless you are the type of person that just can't bear the thought that someone else can do something slightly better than you then how does it ruin your personal game play. We are talking about the 2 perm leagues here. There are no prizes, no rewards, no one starting the game now is going to jump into #1 on the ladder.

3. What about items from old leagues, alt arts, old race rewards, ladder rewards, PVP rewards etc. Should those all be removed too? They are legacy after all if you defining this as items that can no longer be obtained by dropping in the game. It has been made clear that the point behind the post is not just the few legacies that received nerfs, but the idea of legacies that players can not obtain under their own through drops. I guess I should not include old league items in this because technically you can use zana and try to chance your way into one that way but it is still spending extra money to try to get something that you can not normally get to drop. Once again outside of a few select items it is usually just cheaper to buy the item anyways.

4. Why not just ignore what other people have and are doing? Once again these are perm leagues. There is nothing competitive about these leagues. If you are a competitive player you race, run temp leagues, pvp..not play standard. They only thing that is competitive about the perm leagues at this point is egos and that is not something GGG bases their decision making on.

To me this is just the way life is. I have some legacies, I don't own others and I don't care. If I decide I just have to have one and the new version won't work then I will do what I have always done and farm to get the money to get it. Hell it took me about 6 months worth of farming to get my non-legacy Shavs & MJ. I was just willing to put the effort into it to get it. I am a Mustang lover and I have owned 3. My dream car is a 69 Boss 429 Mustang that they do not make anymore. Should I be mad that my 2014 Mustang doesn't perform like the 69? Should I be mad that they don't make them trade it in for the new one so theirs works like mine? Should someone be mad that the stock they bought last week doesn't make them rich like the person who bought that same stock 2 years ago and is now a millionaire? The game is what it is and legacies are the way GGG chooses to deal with it instead taking all the risk that they have explained in detail over and over again to convert all old items to new. I personally just except that as part of the game and play accordingly. Sure there have been some changes I didn't care for but it never ruined the game play for me. I just adapted and either figured out a way to make it work or I just planned something new. For every legacy that I own that I was lucky enough to own and is now more valuable I have vendored 20 because it as not worth the divine turn in into a current version. I would rather find a way to make the game enjoyable for me than to grumble about not liking things they have done. This is a game after all and it is meant for enjoyment. If I no longer enjoy the game then I will simply find another game to enjoy although after 2 years, lots of legacies, passive changes, mechanics changes and too many doomsday scenarios to count this has yet to happen.
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
"
IamtheAxeMan wrote:
I quit playing PoE because of the legacy items. I just could not stomach playing a loot finding game where the BEST loot exists but cannot drop anymore. I could not stomach having a nerfed version drop when I know that there are better versions available, but no matter how much I play, the best version will never drop again.

It made me sad and disheartened. Path of Exile is my favorite game, but I refuse to play it anymore.... I have not logged in since the nerf to all the block on unique items.

In over 2000 hours of playtime I've never had a unique worth more than 10 exalts drop. Seems like no matter how much I play, no Shavs, Mjolner, Void Battery, Headhunter, etc. will ever drop. If people can buy those items for their builds, then they can also buy legacies because all this stuff doesn't drop anyway.

Funny that you mention those and odd that Iam says he can't get the BEST loot. Arguably Shavs is the best chest armour around bar none and Mjolner is the best weapon around for melting things... But neither are legacy-no-drop at this stage, despite minor changes to Shavs. Headhunter? Voll's Devotion? Can get those too.

So, I'm a bit confused. For those who are feeling horrible about legacies to the point of not wanting to play, which legacy do you feel you should be able to get but can't? And why is it BiS?
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
@Sickness: If it's a trade-off, what's the trade?

The negative effects of having legacy items vs the positive effects of not nerfing people stuff.
So the exact same false dichotomy I covered earlier?

No. It can't possibly be a false dichotomy as I'm just saying how their descision is not hypocritical. Maybe there is a better way to do legacy items, maybe not. But that's beside my point.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
davidnn5 wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
@Sickness: If it's a trade-off, what's the trade?

Hurt feelings of new players - "I will neeeeeeeeever get that !! so unfair!" against hurt feelings of older players "bah, well I was sick of the grind anyhow, cya".
False dichotomy. What if you didn't nerf uniques in Standard at all?
Still holds here. If you don't want people's items to change, why nerf in Standard at all?

If you answer like GGG and say "balance," that's hypocrisy.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 27, 2015, 11:18:31 AM

I already told you why they don't make legacy items drop in standard anymore, they don't want there to be a reason to play it over the temp leagues, aside from the obvious reasons to already play in standard.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Still holds here. If you don't want people's items to change, why nerf in Standard at all?

Speaking of false dichotomies... lol
Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that no one supporting legacy items thus far is versed in the vocabulary and procedures of logic.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 27, 2015, 1:09:24 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that no one supporting legacy items thus far is versed in the vocabulary and procedures of logic.

Yeah lets just call everyone that disagrees with you stupid, that will teach them, right?
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
id like to add my 2 and a half cents

once i was a newbie player with crappy gears who felt the same about legacy items i hated them and drops was like "oh man shavs and mjolner never going to drop" and they never droped for me but then I started working (ingame) for it I farmed for almost a full month dom with my mf ranger i didnt do anything else

after that procedure I was able to purchase the items which never droped for me because i simply saved up chaos/exalteds/fusings the whole day to trade them afterwards

now that i have bought some nice legacies i must say i want them to keep as they are i dont connect it just with my effort and time to get them but with the fun i have using my hard earned legacies in my builds

long story short: its totally possible to get legacy items be it zana mod drop of a legacy league or by trading -but if someone wants the best of the best he should be ready to work for it. path is no communism land where you get the best in slot handed freely.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

There is no hypocrisy. You don't want people's items to change, but sometimes the positive effects of doing so outweighs the negative effect. If you are so versed in the vocabulary and procedures of logic then how is this such a problem for you to understand?

There is no false dichotomy in that, I'm not saying or implying that there not other options. I'm only saying that there is no hypcrisy in GGGs actions. Why is this, too, so hard to understand for someone so versed in the vocabulary and procedures of logic such as yourself?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info