Legacy items are bullshit

"
CanHasPants wrote:
Except there cannot be, because it does not exist in the realm of PoE--a game where the principle philosophy has thus far been to maintain functional imbalance.

Nice to see someone else pointing this out.
Casually casual.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

The standard by which balance is judged is:
1. Diverse metagame of top options with roughly equal viability

A moving target metagame and balance are irrelevant to each other.

You just settled the debate you started with this thread. PoE is all about its moving target metagame. "Balance" is irrelevent.
"
RogueMage wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

You just settled the debate you started with this thread. PoE is all about its moving target metagame. "Balance" is irrelevent.
As I've said before, GGG is the one claiming balance is relevant.

If balance really weren't relevant, and they wanted to out-of-print an item, they would do just that - stop dropping the item, completely. Not stop dropping it then start dropping a nerfed (or buffed) version.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
RogueMage wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

As I've said before, GGG is the one claiming balance is relevant.

If balance really weren't relevant, and they wanted to out-of-print an item, they would do just that - stop dropping the item, completely. Not stop dropping it then start dropping a nerfed (or buffed) version.

balance is relevant only in the temp leagues that the game is built around

I mean they dont make 57 chevys and more so they are basically legacies

the only way to get one is to buy an old one the dont "drop" anymore

thats a better version of the original car metaphor
I dont see any any key!
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
@Sickness: If it's a trade-off, what's the trade?

Hurt feelings of new players - "I will neeeeeeeeever get that !! so unfair!" against hurt feelings of older players "bah, well I was sick of the grind anyhow, cya".

Alternatively, the continuity of the game versus a shutdown period while changes are made.

Snorkle, for the second time in the thread, completely covered it for me. There is no legacy I would consider paying more than 200 ex to obtain, but I would consider paying it for a mirrored weapon.
"
davidnn5 wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Hurt feelings of new players - "I will neeeeeeeeever get that !! so unfair!" against hurt feelings of older players "bah, well I was sick of the grind anyhow, cya".
False dichotomy. What if you didn't nerf uniques in Standard at all?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
davidnn5 wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

If you didn't nerf unqiues in standard then the popularity of the league would be higher, which was\is not what GGG wants considering 3/4 month leagues.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Essentially what Goetz said.

Status quo is legacies exist, and changing to anything different is a zero sum game. I have $20 and this other guy here is sad because he has no money; taking $20 from me and giving it to him is not going to have a net effect on overall sadness! And of course within 5 seconds of a 'no legacies, we never reduce anything' league starting, it'd be renamed to 'godmode league'.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
davidnn5 wrote:
If you didn't nerf unqiues in standard then the popularity of the league would be higher, which was\is not what GGG wants considering 3/4 month leagues.
Not really. The main difference is playstyle; temporary league players enjoy rerolling, Standard players hate it. Only a small number could actually be bribed away in this manner.
I think legacy items are perfectly fine. They represent the hard work of playing in the past, and add value and depth to the game in terms of more and rare item variety. To put this in a real world example: A man owns a very rare vintage car and no one else can obtain one unless he sells his. Because of this you hate the fact you can not own one of these cars. So you are attempting to take away his and all other rare vintage cars because of the fact you can not own one. This logic literally makes no sense and sounds like an infant crying because he is not getting his way. You should have played the game earlier in development or play the game enough and get "rich" so you can purchase one of these items yourself. Simple enough?
Last edited by AngelofRock on May 26, 2015, 2:40:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info