N00bie question... Ranged Shadow with elemental damage?

This is my first character and I thought I'd try something different.
I wanted a bow character with elemental damage, but I don't seem to do doing as much damage as I thought I should be. Granted I'm only lvl 18 ATM.

I've neglected crit hits for more elemental damage but I'm starting to think that was the wrong way to do it.

Also what is the difference between projectile damage and physical damage with bows?
Do they both increase arrow damage??

Here is the build I have planned from scratch.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAGdetM5OVEZYOSKIuUEI8vSxGRXxtGSL0bAsNjRzcf8ZqQ8BUCPR0VV8q6-QEB0yza9t9GIPbOlismFXGi3o2xR8CYeJVS4w2y70HY-aBJpUfQQMeFr8GI49P2mSxMCLqm7VTNQ-rcaG1CLALbwiIW8pKwzrA40tX8bNvnqJA9PihIsSilwYtgxmK3BWn1P7I0359df66u-MlP6vS2o0s6a-n9qPveuxVKo1JGzbY8WwulJeFNPchsC19wbTvULWFfq8RD92M2V_gEo0ZIoGeoVZKjjwXVEwtU9SNgtHknwGHZa-3MjR2EeTsr5sQWBsB

Any advice or changes would be greatly appreciated. :)
Your tree won't work.

Basically there are two ways of playing ranged elemental:

1) You use skills like ice shot or lightning arrow that convert a part of your physical damage to elemental damage.
Going that way it is best to take nodes that boost physical damage as it is the amount of physical base damage that your elemental damage scales off.
Weapon needed: Bow with high physical damage.
You might have a look at some of the ice shot guides though none of them is especially noob friendly imo.

2) You use auras + heralds to get elemental damage.
In this case you go for nodes that reduce reserved mana so you can run as many auras/heralds as possible.
Weapon needed: Bow with high attack speed. The base damage is secondary although having some elemental damage on it is a big plus. You also want flat elemental damage and " %increased weapon elemental damage" on gear.
Elemental Archer is probably the build that comes closest to what you want to play.

BTW at lvl 18 you aren't doing that much damage. Stacking crit early doesn't help. Taking life nodes + laying out the basic tree path to desired keystones/notables is more important.
Thanks for the info!!

I see why my build wont work anymore.
I'll look into building a Cold Witch instead.

I'm a little confused though, wands don't seem to do much damage compared to say a sword or hammer, so what do I need to increase to get more damage?
Do I rely on the attacks I get from gems instead of the wand I'm carrying?
"
Quarnz wrote:
Thanks for the info!!

I see why my build wont work anymore.
I'll look into building a Cold Witch instead.

I'm a little confused though, wands don't seem to do much damage compared to say a sword or hammer, so what do I need to increase to get more damage?
Do I rely on the attacks I get from gems instead of the wand I'm carrying?

Spells don't need a weapon. Their damage comes from leveling the spell gem. For spells you usually equip a wand, dagger or sceptre because they can have stats that increase the damage of the spell (for example increased spell or elemental damage, cast speed, crit chance for spells).

Attacks on the other hand use the weapon you are carrying to deal damage. You scale the damage in this case mostly by equipping better weapons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info