State of the Beta - Post #3

"
manigault wrote:
"Deterministic Lockstep is intended for users with low latency."

This is bothering me. This is the latest of several times I've heard this. Am I thinking backwards? To me, low latency is good and lockstep should be meant for those with high latency. Otherwise, thanks for the update!!

Lockstep only works if you have low latency. Otherwise it takes too long for the server to update your client about what's going on and it will feel even worse than the current system does.
Sweet
"
Qarl wrote:
This patch includes an early version of the Deterministic Lockstep system that is designed to solve desync issues for low-latency players.

Question: Does the definition of 'low latency' depend on your implementation of lockstep, or is it set in stone no matter what? Can this value fluctuate at all?
Or are we supposed to test that as well?
I wonder if Hillock-Senpai will notice me when I go to town??
I'd do unspeakable things to get in the beta
Spoiler
"
105731337 wrote:
I'd do unspeakable things to get in the beta

like what? paying 30$ ?

I hope there will be a wipe =D
Never forget - "With dexterous feet and steady eye, stones and arrows pass you by"
Carl why are you so sexy?
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
"
Uvne wrote:
I don't think the gems should come with experience. I had always assumed that the XP system for gems was, in part, to generate opportunity cost for planning in the same way that other ARPGs might, but adjusting for the fact that PoE's skills are itemized rather than something you dump points into on your character sheet. Right now, as long as you're getting XP, you're "putting points" into the abilities you're using, and if you want to make a significant switch, you may, but you begin from nothing in much the same way as in any other RPG.

Under this new system, anyone with a higher level character or friend in the same league will have immediate access to a gem as if they had been leveling it all along, because from the way it's phrased here, it uses the level of the purchaser. It's only a minor bit of cheese, since it only gets you to around level 14, which doesn't take long on a character powerleveling gems in endgame maps anyway. But it's still something I think the game would be better off without if possible. We've been starting our multistrikes and echoes from level 1 while in the 50s for a long time now, and it hasn't been a problem.

A group of scientists placed 5 monkeys in a cage and in the middle, a ladder with bananas on the top.
Every time a monkey went up the ladder, the scientists soaked the rest of the monkeys with cold water.
After a while, every time a monkey went up the ladder, the others beat up the one on the ladder.
After some time, no monkey dare[d] to go up the ladder regardless of the temptation.

Scientists then decided to substitute one of the monkeys. The 1st thing this new monkey did was to go up the ladder. Immediately the other monkeys beat him up.

After several beatings, the new member learned not to climb the ladder even though he never knew why.

A 2nd monkey was substituted and the same occurred. The 1st monkey participated on [sic] the beating for [sic] the 2nd monkey. A 3rd monkey was changed and the same was repeated (beating). The 4th was substituted and the beating was repeated and finally the 5th monkey was replaced.
What was left was a group of 5 monkeys that even though never received a cold shower, continued to beat up any monkey who attempted to climb the ladder.
If it was possible to ask the monkeys why they would beat up all those who attempted to go up the ladder ... I bet you the answer would be ... "I don't know — that's how things are done around here" Does it sound familiar?
Thank you Carl!
"Experience is the best teacher,but there's only one seat in his classroom."
Play with honour and show some class - www.theAmazonBasin.com
Zarabeth - Level 89 Ranger
Wicked Wanda - Level 87 Witch
Xarabeth - Level 79 Scion
Too much new things to come, so 99.99% there will be a wipe :)

I hope so, even I'm love my new reaver char I'm lvling now :(
"
BestiyaLV wrote:
Too much new things to come, so 99.99% there will be a wipe :)

I hope so, even I'm love my new reaver char I'm lvling now :(

Yeah, the gem vendors alone would probably be enough reason for them to want to do a wipe. It'll completely change the leveling progression(hopefully making it much better).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info