PC runs hot in PoE

Hello there,

I think PoE is abit too heavy for my PC even though it is actually not that pretty or insane in its graphics.

I have i5 2500k @ 4,2ghz and GTX 570 - getting around 100-200 fps. The problem is how hot my computer gets while playing this game. My CPU is @ 73 celcius degrees and I have a custom fan for CPU, not the default one. I also have the game graphics set to lowest possible and without shadows. No V-sync either.

I can play CSGO @ 200-300+ fps and keep my CPU at 55-60c degrees. Even BF4 and BF3 runs @ 60 celsius.

How is that possible? Is this fixable without dropping overclocking or buying a water cooled PC?
I mean, the game is REALLY heavy for how it looks and for how it plays.
You shouldn't be getting that high of fps because you should be frame-limiting or using vsync.

You get no benefit in PoE for rendering faster than your monitor refresh rate.

Also, PoE is a free game from an indie company. They built their own engine rather than buying one like most AAA studios. PoE also is heavy on multiple components at the same time.. GPU, CPU, RAM, HDD, etc. A lot of it has to do with the lack of optimization that you'd get in other systems and engines.

But limiting your frame-rate would likely help. Bigger numbers only mean a shorter component lifetime or is used by "gamers" to measure ePeen... bigger fps in this case does nothing but make your components work needlessly harder.
"
Drakier wrote:
You shouldn't be getting that high of fps because you should be frame-limiting or using vsync.

You get no benefit in PoE for rendering faster than your monitor refresh rate.

Also, PoE is a free game from an indie company. They built their own engine rather than buying one like most AAA studios. PoE also is heavy on multiple components at the same time.. GPU, CPU, RAM, HDD, etc. A lot of it has to do with the lack of optimization that you'd get in other systems and engines.

But limiting your frame-rate would likely help. Bigger numbers only mean a shorter component lifetime or is used by "gamers" to measure ePeen... bigger fps in this case does nothing but make your components work needlessly harder.

I couldn't find a command to limit framerates which leads me to use V-sync which limits my fps to 60fps even though I have 120HZ monitor. It feels very clunky.

The heat dropped a little for my 15 minute testing run.

Thanks!

Vsync should usually lock your frames to the refresh rate, that's strange.
Maybe try to force it with the driver?

Also, I wouldn't worry about the CPU temperatures, they are still ok, but not good.
It still shouldn't get that hot just from playing PoE. Maybe run a stress test (Prime95) and make sure the cooling is good enough for every situation?

Are you sure you're talking about the CPU here? Locking the FPS shouldn't change the CPU usage much since the game is pretty GPU limited.
Last edited by darkmatch on May 15, 2015, 6:19:19 PM
PoE cannot load this CPU so much.
the imperial gardens (RAIN)

Either you mistook CPU with GPU (for GPU this temp is fine) or your CPU cooling system is too weak for it or installed incorrectly.
I don't know how it doesn't let me play 120 capped on Vsync but I downloaded one of those programs that limit the FPS to a desired amount. FPS_limiter or so. Now I limit my FPS to 100 and CPU temp is max 60+.

I use HWMonitor to check the temperatures. I check the "package" and "max" from the CPU section which jumps up to 73C when I don't limit my FPS.

I will upload a image here later to show the temps:

http://imgur.com/PFDVDoG

This was after 30min of playing without the fps limit. CPU max goes even higher.
Last edited by Vomak on May 16, 2015, 4:33:37 PM
Those programmes are not always showing the right value. Try the the programme Core Temp and see if it shows the same values.

I also higly recommend you to download Prime95 to run a serious stress test. Your cooling is not good enough if the values are acutally that high from playing PoE.

Spoiler

Be careful: If the temperatures go over 90 degree celsius, end the programme immediately!
Intel usually has a protection.
You have to end the programme in the taskbar, not just by clicking X.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

Maybe some settings could be wrong, have you looked at the BIOS if the CPU voltage is constant and not changing on load?
Last edited by darkmatch on May 17, 2015, 5:22:52 AM
"
darkmatch wrote:
Those programmes are not always showing the right value. Try the the programme Core Temp and see if it shows the same values.

I also higly recommend you to download Prime95 to run a serious stress test. Your cooling is not good enough if the values are acutally that high from playing PoE.

Spoiler

Be careful: If the temperatures go over 90 degree celsius, end the programme immediately!
Intel usually has a protection.
You have to end the programme in the taskbar, not just by clicking X.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

Maybe some settings could be wrong, have you looked at the BIOS if the CPU voltage is constant and not changing on load?

Had Prime95 and I ran the "max heat blaablaa" test for 30 minutes and here are the temps after:

http://imgur.com/6BhcXsV

Got the same temp with both ATX and HWMonitor.

Th funny thing is that temps are fine on any other game: CSGO, Dota 2, BF4, HotS...
Those temps are completely fine, considering Prime stresses the CPU unrealistically high.
Pretty strange, but I wouldn't worry since everything seems to run fine.

Maybe someone else has an idea.
Last edited by darkmatch on May 17, 2015, 6:53:58 AM
"
darkmatch wrote:
Those temps are completely fine, considering Prime stresses the CPU unrealistically high.
Pretty strange, but I wouldn't worry since everything seems to run fine.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

That is what I thought too.

But it is completely fine now when I can just limit FPS to 100. I just hope it doesn't get me banned :D.

Thanks for the help guys!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info