For those that are interested

I have been working on multiple writing projects (I switch between them as the mood strikes), but to thank those of you that downloaded my book I thought I would share a section of the prequel I have been working on.

The Agents are named for two of my favorites here, Upandatem and Hostilesinbound. Of course these names won't do in a book meant for the general public too, so I made a few changes. (Names may change again)

A Tale of Two Moons (work in progress)
Spoiler
I finally got back to my place and fell into my recliner with relief. Except as I sat there I realized I really didn't spend much time here. I looked around and try as I might, I couldn't find anything that that I didn't recognize. It just felt alien to me somehow. Maybe because I was exhausted and just wanted someone to bring me a ice cold beer, but I was alone as usual and would have to get up and get it myself. Would the insults never stop? I jokingly asked myself as I sat there trying to convince myself to get moving already. I wanted a beer so bad I could taste from the chair, but fat lot a good that was actually doing me. Could this day have gotten any worse?

I heard a knock at the door. I peeked over to the clock and it read 2:39 am. Of course it did. With a powerful sigh, I forced my tired body to move and walk the five horrible steps to the door. I looked through the peep hole and saw there were two of them dressed like government agents. “Who is it?” I called through the door.

There was a too long a pause before one of them finally answered. “Xavier Moon?” It was asked in an authoritative voice of a police officer or worse.

“And you are?” I asked again through the door.

Again there was a pause that almost, but not quite made me want to ask again, “Mister Moon could you please open the door?” The other one asked. I sighed again and closed my eyes for a moment before I started to unlock the deadbolt.

I opened the door, but blocked their way in with my body. Not that they couldn't have just beaten me right there and then by the looks of them. They both were tall and dressed in cheap suits. “Can I see some ID please?” I asked nicely as I stupidly had forgotten to arm myself. All I had to protect myself was the golf club. I had left it leaning against the corner instead of getting it first, then answering the door. It only took a moment, but I did the math. Times the caliper of their pistols by my shoe size and I could get the number of centimeters I would get before being shot. I didn't like the answer to that equation.

“Agent Pantem and this is Special Agent Hosinbo.” He said and they both in a practiced move flipped out their badges. And just as quick they both flipped them back in unison. I only had a brief time to read something about Smithson Enforcement Department? I had never heard of it, but I recognized the standard issued Glock 40 under their coats. They flashed the guns when they put their badges back. I'm sure the move was intentional, but I don't respond well to idle threats. Real threats yes, but just having a gun doesn't impress me.

“Alright, come on in. Want something to drink? I need a beer.” I said as I held open the door for them to come in. They waited again that almost too long a time before coming out of their government type stance to walk into my place and then resume their emotionless standing with their hands folded in front of their bodies. Their suits were pressed and fitted, but obviously off the some departmental issued rack.

I walked past them. No easy fete as they were standing in the middle of my small front room of my very small apartment. It took a bit of maneuvering, but I made it around the tight corner to my tiny kitchen area. I helped myself to a beer in the fridge and grabbed the can of nuts I like to chew on when disrespecting people. “Beer?” I twisted the top of it and held it out for a moment while they stood there and stared at me from across the counter. “Your loss.” I said and took a swig.

“Mister Moon, time is of the essence.” The one on the left said.

“We are in a hurry Mister Moon.” The one on the right said. I may have detected a slight southern accent, but I was too busy being me to really care about that now.

“Don't look it.” I pointed out as I opened the can of nuts and took several out and threw one into my mouth to chew on while I gave them another look over. They almost could have been twins. Same height, same build, the noses were different, but I couldn't see the eyes as they were hidden by sunglasses. Considering the time, that was suspicious, if not a little stupid.

I took another long pull from my beer to wash the first nut waiting for them to say something else. As I waited, I let out a belch and popped another nut into my mouth.
“Now will you be coming along?” The one on the right asked unphased by my rudeness.

“And just where is this place you want to take me?” I popped another nut into my mouth, but I had let it go too far down my throat. I had to cough hard as I tried to dislodge it. I finally was able to retch it out and had to lean against my kitchen counter while facing down while I tried to regain my breath. Through tear filled eyes I saw them both still just standing there watching.

“Mister Moon?” Asked Agent Pantem. I looked up at him and tried again to get a deep breath in.

“Yeah?” I squeaked out. I tried to stand upright, but had to lean forward again as I took several deep breaths.

“Do you require assistance?” Special Agent Hosinbo asked. I stared back at them, but they both never moved. Their gaze was getting creepy, even behind the sunglasses.

“I'll be fine, no thanks to you guys!” I gasped out. I opened other drawer to find a clean cloth to wipe my face with. I got the feeling that they didn't like that sudden move because after I wiped my face and lowered the towel, I saw both of them had drawn their weapon and had them pointed at my face.

“Sorry Mister Moon.” Agent Pantem said.

“Reflexes.” Offered Special Agent Hosinbo by way of apologizing I guess. I nodded with my open mouth and slowly closed my eyes as I let the towel fall to the floor. When I opened them again, they were right back to standing emotionless there in front of my counter. I was glad I was on the other side of it for now.

“May I ask where it is you wish me to go?” I tried to smile to soften the question, but I had another bout of coughing as the tickle in my throat refused to go away and I had to lean over again.

“Last chance to go quietly Mister Moon.” Said Agent Pantem. I peeked up over the edge of the counter. His tone never changed and they both were still standing there not even swaying a tiny bit, just staring at me.

I sensed where this was going and after the day I had had I decided to go along this time. “I'll go! I'll go!” I almost shouted it, “Just tell me where and I'll go peacefully!”

“Your continued evasion of this matter requires us to resort to a more forceful action Mister Moon.” Special Agent Hosinbo said in the same toneless, but threatening manner. Strangley enough it was working! I must have looked just as dumbfounded as I felt.

“I'm not resisting guys! Just tell me where and we off!” I tried to smile as I said it. The two of them stood there looking at me with their arms clasped in front of their suits, not moving. This was not going to end well for me unless I changed tactics and quickly, “Let's go where you want. I don't need to know where.” I said and stood up straight. “Ow!” I exclaimed and looked down at the small dart in my chest.

“We told you to come along peacefully Mister Moon.” Said Agent Pantem said as he put away dart gun behind his back.

“Had to do it the hard way.” Added Special Agent Hosinbo with what I swear was a saddness in his voice.

I wasn't quite as eloquent. “Urp!” I said or something to that effect as I fell face first into my counter. The counter refused to give way like my body did. I was amazed that I hadn't blacked out completely yet as I slid slowly the rest of the way to the floor with the pain of the faceplant against the hard surface was starting to register.

“It always the same thing with these types.” I heard one of them say, but I was too woozy to clearly pinpoint which one of them said it.

“I really love this job.” a different voice said, but it was funny sounding now.

“Want to kick him some too?” was the last thing I heard as the blackness finally won out.

Also reworking your part Brotherhawk. Its so your namesake can appear in both the prequel and the sequel playing the same part.

I_NO's namesake, Christine from the Mooned Chronicles gets a lot more time in the prequel and set up to show up again in the sequel too.

Others will be showing up too that haven't made it in yet, but maybe I'll share some of that later.
Nice work like usual.
Another tidbit. I feel little bit guilty for not being around much, but to tell the truth, the forums feel oppressive currently. But I have taken the opportunity to do some more wrinting.

I had to rewrite several parts from the original to maintain a coherent timeline. Sorry Spoonman, but I gave your part in this to Pavshaus. But as I had rewritten his part to become Carlos (for reasons that will become clear once this book is done) I don't feel too bad about it.

Also changed Bhavv out for Dirk. I have plans for both later, but Bhavv isn't a great name for a story taking place in Boston. I do what I can later.

As always, this is not the final draft, just a work in progress.

(more) A Tale of Two Moons
Spoiler

I was getting tired of being followed, despite the entertainment the two clowns tailing me had provided, it was getting old. Luck was on my side as I was able to get across the street just before the light changed. I used the few extra minutes as an opportunity to hurry around a corner and duck into a store to lose them. I quickly made my way to the back of the store, hoping to exit out a rear door, but before I got too far in, I realized it was sexshop! It was my first time in a store like this and I had to look around.

I must say some of the stuff was ordinary enough if slightly out of proportion. The girl behind the counter never looked up from her phone, texting away. Probably use to perverts and embarrassed husbands coming in and wanted nothing to do with helping them. That suited me fine as I didn't need to think up a lie, but against the back wall was a device or something that I was having trouble recognizing. It was all straps and chains and electrical wiring. I couldn't help myself as I peered closer at it. I reached out to touch the large red button that said try me. Bad move. Turned out I was standing on a trap door and the floor dropped out from under me!

It was a short drop that ended when I landed butt first on a very slick slide. The walls were smooth and coated with something that made it impossible for me to stop my downward journey. I couldn't slow myself down on as it sent me deeper underground in a twisting ride until it straightened out again. I hadn't panicked yet, but the slide ended at what looked like a very solid wall and I was moving at a speed that the impact was not going to be pleasant, but at the very last moment, it slid aside. With a slight ramp at the end, I was dumped into a comfortable, if rather ugly chair with a whomph!

“I was wondering when you were going to drop in MoonYu.” Said the man behind the desk across the room. He wasn't much to look at from this distance, but after the ride I just had, I didn't feel like getting out of the chair to go to him. I would let him come to me.

Except he pushed a button on his desk and the chair suddenly shot forward, forcing me back into the cushions. In a heartbeat it stopped so suddenly that I was launched out of it and straight into the desk! The impact hurt and I slowly slid to the floor. “Sorry! I thought I had got that fixed!” He apologized, but I couldn't help, but noticed he never left his seat to help me up.

“Erg.” I replied, or something to that effect. I stumbled back to my feet and felt for broken ribs.

I found several sore areas, but none seemed too painful to make me worry. I took a long breath and almost sat down in that stupid chair again. I eyed it for a moment and pushed on it with my foot. Seemed stable enough, so I went to sit down again. Only it suddenly took off in a flash back to where I originally fell into it and I landed on my ass!
I shot the man an ugly glare and he blushed a little, “Ah, maybe we should talk elsewhere.” The man said and this time he did come around the desk and helped me up. He looked funny dressed in all black and wearing sunglasses inside.

“I would ask where am I, but I rather know who you are first.” I said as he walked to the door and opened it while he waited for me follow him out.

It was his turn to take a deep breath before answering, “I'm Pavshaus.” He said, like it was suppose to mean something to me. “You have been looking for me. Well, I have been looking for you too MoonYu.”

“Never heard of you and no I haven't.” I smiled to soften the blow, but his expression never changed.

“Yes you have.” He said as a matter of fact. And tried to wave me through the door again, but I was rooted to this spot for the moment. His expression, despite not being able to see his eyes was telling. He didn't care for my refusual to exit the room.

“Yes I have what?” I asked him and his expression changed for a moment as he looked confused.
“What?” He looked at me funny.

“Yes I have heard of you or yes I was looking for you. Not that it matters, because no I wasn't and no I wasn't. And the name is Moon, not MoonYu. I think you have me confused with someone else.” I smiled again, but he only frowned and I put my weight on one foot and then the other while I waited for him to reply. He expression changed slightly and while his frown deepened, his tone did not.

“Yes to both. Now can we exit this room? Or do you prefer to take your chances with the chair again?” He waved with his hand again trying to get me to move. I shrugged and reluctantly left the room. I wanted nothing more to do with that chair.

We walked down a narrow hallway with sparse lighting and a sickly damp feeling to it. It smelled moldy and I said as much.

“Yeah, but beggars can't be choosers.” He answered as if that made any sense. I tried to figure out what it really meant, but I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.
“Ah,” I had forgot his name already.

“Pavshaus.” He said and stopped to frown at me some more. “How can you have forgotten Pavshaus? You have been looking for me and here I am and you forget my name?” He shook his head in disbelief.

“Yes.” I replied and hoped he got the joke, but he didn't. “It was a joke.” I explained, but he just turned as he shook his head some more and walked to the door at the end of this nasty little hallway. He paused and gave me a stern look as best as he could behind the dark sunglasses.

“What you are about to see, few have ever seen before.” He said and turned back to the door, but it was locked. He shook the handle in frustration before letting out a sigh. He raised his hand to knock on the door frame.

“Who is it?” Came from the other side of the door.

“Open the fucking door Dirk!” Pavshaus commanded. I could see his hands clench into a fist as he tried to control his anger.

“Not without the password.” Whoever this Dirk was replied. Pavshaus turned to look at me again with a very pained expression on his face and sighed again.

“Betty Boop Ditty Boop.” He said and I could hear the locks being undone.

“Ditty Boop?” I asked and he shrugged.

“Would you have ever figured that one out?” He asked and I had to admit that no, I would never have thought of that one. But before I could ask more about it, the door opened and Dirk was standing there with a shit eating grin on his face.

“Your orders boss.” He said and winked at me. At least I think it was at me. It was hard to tell where he was looking under those thick eyebrows. Pavshaus waited until Dirk closed and relocked the door behind us before directing me towards another office door. I looked around and was not impressed. It looked like an old warehouse that had a few new cubicles installed and a row of offices. The rest was dingy and dusty. The lighting was a few too high up florescents that hummed loudly enough to be annoying. One of them was blinking on and off too.

“Nice place.” I lied.

“No its not.” Pavshaus replied and fumbled for a key to his office. He tried one and no. Tried another and then another. I got tired of waiting and took out my wallet and picked a credit card. I pushed him aside and with one swift motion inserted the card between the door and the frame and opened the door. Pavshaus gave me a dirty look and went back to trying to find the right key. I smiled and stepped into his office and closed the door behind me, quickly throwing the lock.

I could hear a muffled curse and several more keys being tried. I laughed and almost sat down in the chair in front of the desk before I thought better and went behind the desk to to await Pavshaus.

I noticed several things right off. First was the pistol under the desk pointed at the chair I was going to sit in. the second was the buttons hidden just under the arm rests. I pushed one and heard a scream!

“Get out of my chair!” I heard him yell through the door. I pushed another button and a secret panel slid out of the way on top of the desk top. There in front of me was a hidden computer screen and even better, it wasn't password protected. I rubbed my hands with glee as I made a few changes before pushing the same button to get the secret panel to slide back into place. He finally he found the right key after several more minutes and came into the room shaking his hand like it hurt. I rose from the seat and held it out for him, but he gave me the dirtiest look and I gave up on my plan to pull it out from under him. I thought it would have just been poetic justice for my experience earlier.

“Sit down!” He demanded and I laughed as I sat down in the chair in front of the desk.
He sat down too, but after bringing his seat forward he gave me a look. “Can I have the clip back please?” He asked and held out his hand.

“My bad.” I said and tossed him the clip I took from the automatic under the desk, “Just do me a favor and leave it out for now.” He looked at me and slammed the clip on the desk hard enough that I almost worried about a round going off, but he just glared at me.

“Heard you had a reputation of being hard to work with MoonYu.” Pavshaus said as ran he hand through his hair and tried to straighten his tie. He looked to a mirror on the far wall, but the black tie on a black shirt under a black suit jacket made it almost impossible to do it right sitting down that far from the mirror and still wearing those stupid sunglasses inside.

“Oh, I assure you, I am a giant pain in the ass, but don't worry. I don't work for you. And its Moon, Xavier Moon not MoonYu.” I grinned and put my feet up on his desk. He was about to say something when Dirk burst into the room.

“Boss! V man is on the phone!” He held the cellphone out for Pavshaus to take. Pavshaus closed his eyes, made a face that clearly showed his disgust, but when he opened his eyes again, he took the phone from Dirk. He tried to give Dirk a get lost look, but Dirk stood there grinning like an idiot. I smiled back at him and he did a little waved. Pavshaus finally had enough and shouted at him to get out.

“Jesus, what a hardass.” Dirk said as he left the room, leaving the door wide open. I smiled as Pavshaus had to get up and slammed the door before answering the phone.

“What?!” He shouted into it. I could make out a man's voice on the other end, but couldn't hear what he was saying. “No no no!” Pavshaus exclaimed into the phone, “No! No you listen! No..., You!” And he slammed the phone several times onto the desk, his face beet red with rage. I was amazed the phone still worked, but he held up the phone up to his ear again and listened for a moment. “Fine!” He yelled into it and slammed it down again. This time he took out his automatic from under the desk and used it to break the phone into several pieces.

“Lover's quarrel?” I asked sweetly.

“That was V you dumbass!” He said like that meant anything to me.

“And?” I asked and made a show of not caring as I pulled at a loose thread on my pants cuff.
“Stop playing stupid MoonYu! If he knows you are here you can bet Samkiud knows you are here too!” He was still red faced and breathing hard. I just laughed at him.

“Hey! This has been a real fun and amazing time, but I really must be going.” I said as I took my feet off his desk and got up. He was angry alright and grabbed the clip and slammed it home into the pistol. “Good luck with that.” I said as I tossed the firing pin in the waste basket by the door.

“Dirk!” Pavshaus shouted!

“Dirk!” Came the reply from behind the door marked mens room. I laughed again and showed myself out.

“This isn't over MoonYu!” Pavshuas shouted as I opened the front door of the warehouse.

“Never started Pav and its Moon.” I said and blew him a kiss as I left.

Also got the best compliment on my book. One of the women at work bought it and loaned her Kindle to her father in law recovering from minor surgery at the hospital. He laughed so hard, they had to give him oxygen.
Here you go Brotherhawk.

This will be the last teaser for a while. (I already made changes to the previous section too)

Spoiler

I was still laughing to myself when I got back to the street level. Pavshaus had chosen to hide in the basement of a rather crappy building that once was a furniture store or something a long time ago, but now had been vacant for sometime and allowed to fall part slowly from neglect.

On the street I realized I had never been to this part of the city before. And for good reason. I thought about hailing a cab, but I remembered that I had used my last twenty at lunch. Not that there were any cabs to be seen. The streets were busy, but in a way that didn't make me feel any safer. Shit, even the bums were tough looking.

This didn't look like a nice neighborhood with plenty of closed stores and the few ones still in business had bars in the windows and a heavy metal gate covering the door. Not that I needed anything from them, but they were all closed for the night. I decided to take the subway and get off these mean streets as fast as I could as it was getting really late.
I reached the subway platform and waited. There were several other commuters so it didn't feel too creepy. But, we were giving each other plenty of space and no one was making eye contact. Still, I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck trying to warn me. But of what? I had to fight the urge to pace as I waited for the train. At last I could hear it coming as did everyone else and we all moved forward to board as the train slowed to a stop in front of us.

When doors opened, I hurried in waited for what felt like an eternity while I waited for the doors to close behind me. No one else had gotten on in this cab with me and I relaxed thinking I was alone until I saw the other person in the car. He was a large black man wearing a black leather jacket, dark sunglasses, dark shirt with a red tie and dark pants with matching dark boots. I slumped as I took a seat right there next to the doors.
“You're a hard man to find MoonYu.” The man said getting up from his seat and coming down to face me. I could see his gun hanging in its shoulder holster when he sat down across in the row of seats on the other side.

“No I'm not.” I countered, “Otherwise you would wouldn't have found me. And its Moon not MoonYu.”

“Aaaaa...,” He paused with his mouth open. I could tell he had a whole conversation already mapped out and I hadn't played along. It was funny watching him trying to get back on track. “Well..., I'm glad we have finally met MoonYu.” He held out his hand, “Brotherhawk.”

“Never heard of you and stop calling me MoonYu.” I said as I felt like I had just had this conversation with someone else and left him hanging there with his hand out. He persisted and kept it up, but I wouldn't even look at it, keeping my glare squarely focused on his face. Slowly he let his hand fall back down and pouted.

“Don't have to be a prick you know.” Brotherhawk said and crossed his arms and looked straight forward like I was doing.

“I like being a prick.” I replied as I stretched out and crossed my feet too. We sat there in silence for a few minutes before he tried again.

“What if I were to tell you that your whole life has been a lie?” He said cryptically.
“I haven't a clue.” I said.

“You mean you are clueless about your real identity.” He said and turned to face me again, but I refused to look at him.

“No. You asked a question about my response to a question you have yet to ask. Hence I can not have a response ready for a question of which I have not been asked yet.” I said and kept staring forward straight at his dark glasses. While my stare was making Brotherhawk uncomfrotable, all I could think about was when was this train going to get the next station?
“Huh?” Brotherhawk looked around to see if anyone else understood what I had just said and could explain it to him, but we were still all alone.

“Your question was how I would react a different question not yet asked.” I said trying to paint the picture for him, but he still looked lost. I tried a different tack. With a heavy sigh I tried again, “What if I were to tell you that you were going to hit you head getting out of the shower tonight?” I thought it was a good example, but he missed the point.
“I shower in the mornings. Helps wake me up.” He said still confused, “And what does that have to do with what I asked you?”

I pinched the bridge of my nose between my eyes and took a deep breath. I didn't need this! Without releasing my grip on bridge, I tried again.

“You asked for my response to the question of my whole life has been a lie.” He nodded his head and started to speak, but I cut him off with a wave of my hand. “Except by asking the question about the response to the question, a question you did not in fact ask me. My knowing the reaction would be impossible. As I have not yet been asked the question about my life, only the question of my reaction, I have no reaction to offer. Understand?”

“Aaaaaa.....” He was slacked jawed again, “Can we start over?” He looked around the cab again, but there still wasn't anyone there to him him out.

“Listen...., Brotherhawk?” He nodded, “What is with the names? I mean Pavshaus? Brotherhawk? Samkiud?”

“You're kidding me?” He asked increduliously. I let my dirty look do the talking this time. “They're code names, like yours MoonYu.”

“My name is Moon. Xavier Moon, not MoonYu. I think you and everyone else has got me confused with someone else.” I tried to explain, but I don't think it was working. I could feel the train slowing as we can into the next station. I didn't care what station it was, I was getting off!

“But...” He trailed off for a moment, “But everyone knows you!”

“Listen, ah Brotherhawk?” He nodded again, “No they don't.” I said and jumped up to hurry out the doors just opening. I left him sitting there looking dazed. Tonight just hadn't been his night. I waved as the doors shut and train started moving again. He did not return the wave, but sat there looking more lost than ever. I shook my head and laughed to myself as I slowly climbed up the stairs back to street level. It had been a rough night to say the least and I couldn't wait to get home and open an ice cold beer.

As luck would have it, the train stopped at the station close to my apartment and I only had a short walk to go. I felt my chest again and realized I was going to have one hell of a bruise where I hit the desk because of that stupid chair. This day at least couldn't get any worse.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info