Max block chance

I started to build a max block chance but I'm not sure I can pull through.
I would like to use The Anvil and go all the way to 78% block chance.
Due to the sheer amount of armour, Lioneye's Remorse seems like a good idea too.
So, is it possible? Some tips I could follow?
Thanks!
Last bumped on May 3, 2016, 1:31:33 PM
I am currently playing a maximum block build myself. I recommend you a shield that is way better than lioneye's remorse and costs only 2 exalts to find.

Once you start playing a max block build you will get sick of how often spells can kill you. People normally go for this instead of Anvil.

Having said that, the pure anti-physical build instead of one that is a bit omnipotent is a cool idea too. The anvil is still cool to have. It is however noted that you would definitely prefer legacy to new anvil which can be quite expensive now.
Max block is possible, but if you invest so much for block you will lack a lot of damage.

Theoretically:

Shield 30-36%
Tree ~ 20% (31% is maximum on tree for shields - low damage/life)
Tempest Shield 4%
leg Anvil 10%
some corrupted implicits ~x%

Rumi 20-40%

around 50-60% is achievable with a FB build and enough damage left.

Cheers
so anyway max block chance is 78? (only with Anvil)
I started the league with a full block/spell block Blade Vortex Gladiator.
With the Gladiator class you don't have to invest in spell block on you gear, which is very nice.
I used Lioneye's Remorse and Cybil's Paw.

Later on i got a 6L Carcass Jack, but the build works just fine with a 5L Armour Chest.

Without much investement i got around 6k non crit damage, which doesn't sound great but with
a Blasphemy/Vulerability/Warlord's Mark setup it's enough for T12/T13 maps.

And due to Cybil's Paw, it is very hard to die with this setup (only Corrupted Blood can be a b****).

But i would not use "The Anvil" for the extra 3% block. For me, the -10% attack and cast speed is a no go. I would go for 75/75 block or a block chance of 55-60 and use a
"Rumi's Concoction" flask for the rest.

Last edited by lug_up on May 3, 2016, 1:00:54 PM
This is an easy-to-follow and very effective guide for a max block Gladiator: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1619894/page/1

In general it is true that you have to sacrifice quite some damage in favor of getting max block. However, the combination of Varunastra + Earthquake (as used in the guide) is pretty nice and makes up for the damage lost. And - using that guide - I can't really recall the last time my character died, it is VERY safe (except for huge damage spikes from overpowered bosses).

The main ingredients for defence: max block + 100% spell block from Gladiator + Aegis (as mentioned above in this thread). Also, 9-10k armour. I like to get about 1% to 1.2% life leech as well.

The Anvil is very well suited for such a build. Not only because of block chance but also because of armour and the life gained when you block (and trust me, you block a lot). Personally I don't have problems with the decrease in movement and attack speed because I a) wear 30% movement boots b) use Whirling Blades for movement most of the time c) rely on single big hits via Earthquake. If you don't go for the Gladiator subclass Stone of Lazhwar (and Rainbowstrides) would probably be better.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
With a Gladiator, The Anvil and CwdT - Tempest Shield, you'll need just about 20-ish block chance from the passive tree to get capped on block and spell block. Gladiator is currently so much better for block along with the Necromancer, it ain't even funny. No need to gimp half your items for spell block and invest half your passive points for block.

Lioneye's is the budget version, Aegis Aurora is the high-end version.

There's also a combo with Crown of the Pale King and Thousand Teeth Temu which, by all indications, is pretty fucking strong defensively. You lose the life from your helmet slot but it'll heal you more than AA unless you have a legacy one with a hefty chunk of armour.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 3, 2016, 1:34:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info