Will there be another Diablo 2?

I was one of those people that quit Diablo 2 over a dozen of times, came back, restarted completely, got everything and then quit again. Most of the quitting was either from being bored after playing samething over and over for a few years. Some of it was from hacking spikes.

Some of it was from having an account hacked (still no idea how... never download anything unverified). A good portion was from lag caused by all the bots. But, nevertheless, Diablo 2 was the most addicting games I've ever played in my 11 years of gaming. There have been plenty of other amazing games, and my current favorite is Skyrim. However, none of them have achieved that simple formula that Diablo 2 employed. In reality, at its core, it was (and still is) a very simple game. Storyline is simple and without any major twists, quests are linear, world is linear with some randomness to the maps.

As simple as it is, they got it all right in my book. It is as perfect as it gets. World of Warcraft may be the behemoth that has millions of people losing their jobs, relationships and their hair... but it has nothing on Diablo 2. Path of Exile looks great and it's still in beta testings. Whether it's going to be an amazing final product... I have no doubt in that. Will it replace Diablo 2 in my book? Chances are, no... no game has yet. But there's always hope.

Could Diablo 2's success be caused by the fact that it's so simple and straight forward? Games these days have you memorize a ton of things, look for things, figure out things. By the time you're done learning the game you feel like you've just completed a college course. Or is it because I'm spoiled by the current generation of games? With all that crap in them? Spoiled to the point where nothing is good enough?

All this could also be caused by the fact that I've been drifting away from gaming in the recent years... or maybe I've had too much of it? Who knows... I don't, that's for sure.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
Last edited by bkboggy on Nov 22, 2011, 4:26:16 AM
I feel diablo 2 is surpassed by Path of Exile... Because Path of Exile has more customization options... where diablo 2 had set ways to do things
Pretty odd chunk of text.
---
In Diablo 2, you do sort of examine and memorize things, but it's completely optional. The maps (without paths) in Diablo 2 follow a pattern that guides the player to the next level. That's kind of how players were supposed to get from level 1 to level 2 without aimlessly wandering a giant maze in Hell mode.

(but most people just plain wandered around until they found the next level if they're not hacking or botting)

The game that replaced Diablo 2 for me was a mod of it called Median, and Path of Exile so far doesn't surpass it.

I can't compare generations of games by gameplay and story though. All I know is that pacman and tetris games basically have no story at all, yet are well-known and have its players, and games later on either had no story, some story, or was filled with story.
No games ever will beat Diablo 1-2 / Wolfenstein 3D / Dune 2 / UFO Enemy Unknown (AKA X-COM) the list goes on....

Its just because we start to get bored of some sort of games or just because we start to get old.

I don't have beta access to PoE so I hope im wrong and hopefully will see it by myself when I get a key.

There are good chances that even Diablo 3 won't be as good as Diablo 1-2. (Hope im wrong here too !!!)

The good old days are behind. Im so sad =/
Здарова, посоны! Дайте инвайт пожалуйста.
Last edited by GothicProffi on Nov 28, 2011, 4:35:47 PM
Я люблю пиццу

So many of the features they either invented or improved upon we think of as standard in games these days. As much as I get tired of the seemingly endless Diablo comparisons, it is the measuring bar by which all other ARPGs will be judged, the most universal experience in the genre.

There are tons of similar games, but nothing quite captures the intuitive feel of D2, minute to learn, lifetime to master.

I quit because of no shared stash, transferring items became such an enormous pain. And the tiny stash was a joke. AND THE LADDER RESETS!!! UGH! I lose all interest in my characters once they get downgraded to normal realms.

To answer your question OP, no there will never be another D2. Some games will come close in some ways, but it is a unique experience. And that's the beauty of it. In a perfect world, there would be a Diablo 2.5 - same gamplay and classes, with tons of new stuff added in, a new act, new attacks for bosses, new monsters, new items sets runewords and uniques, new prefixes and suffixes, new runes, new skills. That would be so freaking glorious I would cry tears of absolute joy!
"When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
Last edited by mjkittredge on Nov 29, 2011, 6:02:46 AM
I would love to play D2 on closed b.net again, but the lag from all the spam bots is unbearable.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
"
bkboggy wrote:
I would love to play D2 on closed b.net again, but the lag from all the spam bots is unbearable.

agree 100% if anyone does see this I sadly do still play d2 but with some friends and I have played a median xl omega or w.e the name is. It's a mod that is made by brother laz that changes it for the better if anyone wants to play d2 again and want an upgrade try that. also its more challanging and everything you knew about d2 will be gone since its almost 90% different.
rawrawr
Median XL? http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/

Yes, the mod is amazing. If you're looking to kill time while waiting for your beta key you should definitely check it out. In fact, there's a group that's doing just that here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11930

You can also check out Titan Quest! I actually played Titan Quest before I played D2.. also fun to play with friends. (:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info