Need help - Looking to upgrade ancient laptop - lost puppy here

I am like a lost puppy, could use some help.

So I need some help and information on finding a pretty decent laptop because I am lost on this subject and want to get the most out of my money. I feel like I have been lucky enough to get by with my laptop as it is about 6 years old and when I bought it I had no idea what I was looking for. I play this game on the LOWEST POSSIBLE settings by editing the config file - the graphics are worse than runescape and it is hard to read sometimes in game.

I am pretty sure these are the specs from a sticker that is still on my laptop says "G72-C55DX Notebook PC" Here is the link - http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02634812-1

Anyways, I most likely will need an upgrade in my laptop when I transfer to a university as an engineering major. And engineering requires pretty good laptops from what I hear.

I have been researching on laptops and when I read some of the specs for these machines I am just lost... I know the minimum requirements for a laptop but that is about it and what is annoying is that on different universities they each might say different things such as one processor could be intel core i5 or you can use AMD???

Here are some links for website recommendations (websites seem to favor brands):

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-budget-gaming-laptop-so-far/
http://computechscout.com/best-laptop-2015-for-engineers-and-engineering-students/

I get what these requirements are asking, but this is almost close to a foreign language for myself.

Minimum requirements: Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB RAM
Hard Drive: 128 GB
Network Card: Integrated Wireless 802.11n
video: integrated video

"Preferred from one university"
Processor: Intel core i7
Memory: 4-8 GB RAM
video: For CAD package, must check supported models

Here is another example:

Laptop – Standard User
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium or better
Intel Core i5 or i7 processor or AMD A6 or A8 processor
4GB memory or higher
250GB or larger hard drive at 7200rpm or faster
512MB dedicated memory graphics card or better
8x CD/DVD Burner or Blu-Ray Combo Drive
13" Widescreen or larger

Laptop – Power User
Windows 7 64-bit Professional or Ultimate
Intel Core i7 processor or AMD A8 processor
6GB or 8GB memory
500GB or larger hard drive at 7200rpm or 128GB or larger SSD hard drive
1GB dedicated memory graphics card or better
15" Widescreen or larger
"
I am like a lost puppy, could use some help.

So I need some help and information on finding a pretty decent laptop because I am lost on this subject and want to get the most out of my money. I feel like I have been lucky enough to get by with my laptop as it is about 6 years old and when I bought it I had no idea what I was looking for. I play this game on the LOWEST POSSIBLE settings by editing the config file - the graphics are worse than runescape and it is hard to read sometimes in game.

I am pretty sure these are the specs from a sticker that is still on my laptop says "G72-C55DX Notebook PC" Here is the link - http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02634812-1

Anyways, I most likely will need an upgrade in my laptop when I transfer to a university as an engineering major. And engineering requires pretty good laptops from what I hear.

I have been researching on laptops and when I read some of the specs for these machines I am just lost... I know the minimum requirements for a laptop but that is about it and what is annoying is that on different universities they each might say different things such as one processor could be intel core i5 or you can use AMD???

Here are some links for website recommendations (websites seem to favor brands):

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-budget-gaming-laptop-so-far/
http://computechscout.com/best-laptop-2015-for-engineers-and-engineering-students/

I get what these requirements are asking, but this is almost close to a foreign language for myself.

Minimum requirements: Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB RAM
video: integrated video

"Preferred from one university"
Processor: Intel core i7
Memory: 4-8 GB RAM
video: For CAD package, must check supported models

Here is another example:

Laptop – Standard User
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium or better
Intel Core i5 or i7 processor or AMD A6 or A8 processor
4GB memory or higher
250GB or larger hard drive at 7200rpm or faster
512MB dedicated memory graphics card or better
13" Widescreen or larger

Laptop – Power User
Windows 7 64-bit Professional or Ultimate
Intel Core i7 processor or AMD A8 processor
6GB or 8GB memory
500GB or larger hard drive at 7200rpm or 128GB or larger SSD hard drive
1GB dedicated memory graphics card or better
15" Widescreen or larger

You're likely to get quite a few Differing answers on this thread. If you'd like to PM me for help I'd be more than happy to give you some pointers on your potential upgrade. I do this (and train, etc.) professionally
Nachos? Yes.
I don't see a budget, but fwiw I've tried some of the most expensive laptop brands out there, and I'm not currently using any of them. My Asus G750 is awesome and I love it. Will be upgrading to the new version when it's out.
It all depends on whether you NEED a laptop that can use CAD software for University, or if they have on campus computer for student use. If you don't need CAD you can get away ith something fairly cheap, if you do it'll need to be a beefy laptop with a discrete graphics card (Shown as GTX 960M/ Radeon XXX in the spec).

Red
"
Rowen_Edge wrote:
You're likely to get quite a few Differing answers on this thread. If you'd like to PM me for help I'd be more than happy to give you some pointers on your potential upgrade. I do this (and train, etc.) professionally

Sweet, I have researched extensively because I want to make sure I make the right choice, with a great laptop that will last a long time, and, on top of that, avoid being scammed by wasting money on specs that don't help. I read that the GTX 960 will come in 4 GB Vram instead of its usual 2 GB and people said that it will be useless unless the memory bandwidth is increase from its 128-bit. Because people think that the more ram, the better and faster the game should be, makes sense to me and companies can easily take advantage of ignorance hence my research.

"
RedOverlord wrote:

It all depends on whether you NEED a laptop that can use CAD software for University, or if they have on campus computer for student use. If you don't need CAD you can get away ith something fairly cheap, if you do it'll need to be a beefy laptop with a discrete graphics card (Shown as GTX 960M/ Radeon XXX in the spec).

I am glad you brought up CAD software, because I googled it a little bit but it seemed more of a program to download from my perspective. I have a buddy that I talk to who is in engineering program and I am soon to transfer into one so I do not know much about what I will actually need. All I can do is relate engineering to needed gaming specs with my knowledge. Most of the "affordable" laptops have a GTX 960 2GB and one big question i have is whether this will be good enough for 5 years and beyond which makes me wonder if i should invest into the GTX 970?

"
MonstaMunch wrote:

I don't see a budget, but fwiw I've tried some of the most expensive laptop brands out there, and I'm not currently using any of them. My Asus G750 is awesome and I love it. Will be upgrading to the new version when it's out.

Since, I have an ancient laptop that has trouble playing games besides maybe league of legends, it is hard for me to compare laptop specs. I have been googling a lot of comparison which has helped, but one site listen ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 as the best laptop for its price.

I hope linking amazon is fine: http://www.amazon.com/GL551JW-DS71-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-GTX960M/dp/B00T7XRH2A?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00T7XRH2A

My main concern is if I am going to make this investment, I would like to pick the best laptop for a decent price range which seem's to be around 1k that contains good specs, but I would like to have it last longer than my current 6 year laptop which has probably needed an upgrade at least 3 years ago, especially since I have the run ultra low graphic settings on POE. I am hoping never to experience this again for at least 10 years where this investment is ancient in 2025 if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the post, did not think I would get any.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info