All this commotion about the Mjölner

"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Scarcity creates desire and absence creates envy and jealousy. Same ole story whether talking about multimillion dollar homes, fine looking women, Mercedes or Mjolner.

Again, mjolner is fine. It was the combined problem of volls devotion with romiras banquet, and the god awfully broken LL BR.

Being able to get what, 124% IAS for basically free is beyond stupid.

I akready addressed that which you ignored. I was not talking about you anyway with this statement.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 8, 2015, 10:24:22 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Mjolner single target dps is pathetic without at least all three of: Discharge, Romiras and Molten Strike. It is very item dependent and skill dependent for single target dps.
This is why my preferred solution to the problem would be to leave Mjolner alone but full-legacy Romira's (as in, does not drop anymore).

If forced to choose, either Romira's or Mjolner, then I am inclined to agree with you. Which is a shame, because I really really like Romira's for what it is. And that is a crit normalizer. A mild investment for ~33% chance to crit doesn't mean every third hit will deal critical damage; it is not uncommon to go a good nine or so attacks without a critical strike when you need it the most, only later to be compensated by three or more consecutive crits when you need them the least. Romira's is (or was) a fairly cheap unique that ensured a build with low crit investment would land critical strikes with more predictable frequency.

To that end, it is a brilliantly rendered unique; however, it just so happens that how it does it does it is also incredibly broken when paired with Resolute Technique. Lets be honest here-- Romira's alone is not broken; the culprit is Romira's + RT.

I would much rather see Romira's legacied(?) with a new version that, somehow, prohibits interaction with RT. VD is already (pseudo) legacy (thank you Zana), and right there is the other half of the broken interaction with Mjolner.

Nix LL BR (replace "on low life" with "on full life." Who cares that it's a straight buff to CI?) and viola, the world is a better place. A better place, with Mjolner still intact.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on May 8, 2015, 11:25:04 PM
What i dont get is if the people who balance this game to begin with play the game how did items like Voll's Devotion and Romira's ring both get through with an item like Mjolner existing? With the way those items work they just look like puzzle pieces that obviously fit together perfect!

It kinda feels like they intended to put it out have crazy builds for a little while and make it legacy later! Its like half these items are intended to go legacy eventually! How could they NOT know how those items were gonna synergize with one another in such a way that it would just be insane?

And CanHasPants.... everytime i see you post and read your bottom quote thing.... i actually hear that song in my head and hear those lyrics with it! LMFAO! \m/

There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on May 8, 2015, 11:33:27 PM
@CHP: What if Resolute Technique gained "You cannot gain Power Charges"? I feel that might be the indirect Romira's nerf, and therefore indirect Mjolner nerf, which the doctor ordered. And no need to legacy anything.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 8, 2015, 11:39:29 PM
I actually did the crit variant of the mjolner discharge build. Found it superior over the non-crit build.

Though, now with the reduced mana change, I am unsure if it would even be functional. I don't forsee the current iteration of the new RM making it to live.

Again, attempting to alter other keystones to have an effect on a problem is the wrong way to balance. I too love Romiras for what it is, but given the simple fact that Discharge exists, I do not feel that easy to generate charges should exist outside of BR.
That'd be inelegant to the max, don't you think?

It'd only be slightly less inelegant to tack "your attacks do not benefit from Resolute Technique" onto Romira's, but at least it would be less globally observable.

Horrible, horrible phrasing, but I'm confident it might lead you to another revaluation ^-^

@Ninja Slayer: Just Romira's + Discharge would be fine, if RT were somehow excluded from the mix. Likewise, a lot of the draw towards VD would be gone, although that one would still be broken (fundamentally).

Tangent (been thinking about this): If I were to redesign VD, it'd read "If you would gain an endurance charge, [chance] to gain a power charge instead," and likewise PC -> EC. Everything else on the item would remain the same.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on May 8, 2015, 11:52:49 PM
What if the "you cannot gain Power Charges" replaced RT's current drawback?

I mean, I don't think my original suggestion was overly ineligant, but given the crit-heavy metagame it might just be that prohibiting crits entirely is too much drawback.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 9, 2015, 12:08:37 AM
If it was decided to be a worthwhile change to RT itself, then sure. At face value, I am not opposed to the idea of allowing RT to crit in some capacity, but it would indeed be inelegant to impose such a global change solely for this one interaction.

I say ineligent only because.. do all crit builds use power charges? If no, then for the sake of RT itself, the proposed change would bear too little impact for attacks that wouldn't otherwise 1) always hit, and 2) rely upon PC to deliver crits. That's would be a recipe for a bad RT.

Edit: Also:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I mean, I don't think my original suggestion was overly ineligant, but given the crit-heavy metagame it might just be that prohibiting crits entirely is too much drawback.

"you cannot crit" + "you cannot gain PC" is nothing but inelegant--elegance encourages intuition, and there is nothing intuitive about non-crit-able attacks that might want to use crit-centric PC. So why make that qualification in the first place?
Devolving Wilds
Land
Last edited by CanHasPants on May 9, 2015, 1:39:01 AM
Well, the more I think about it, the more my RT suggestion (more likely the first one) seems the right way to solve the balance issues at hand. I don't think it's ineligant at all, at least no more so than how Acrobatics now reduces block chance.
That'd be true if all RT builds made use of PC.

RT itself transcends this one exploitative interaction, so why ttarget something so global with something so narrow in scope? By comparison, there is nothing narrow about the scope of an acro build using block chance.
Devolving Wilds
Land
Last edited by CanHasPants on May 9, 2015, 2:05:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info