Am I stuck using a VPN now? (edit: VPN no longer working either :( )

"
So I installed the game about a month ago, and it worked great with zero issues until a couple days ago. At that point, PoE would periodically boot me to login screen when attempting to switch areas with a "failed to connect to instance" error.

It wasn't any particular area giving me trouble, and most times i could switch areas a few times before it happened, but inevitably after switching instances a few times this would happen (really annoying for running maps btw! sucks to lose a portal or three from this error).

Anyways, after reading these forums for a while I found a common problems solutions thread suggesting using a VPN to solve the issue, and it works! I no longer disconnect when switching areas :).

however, now my latency has gone from ~50ms to ~350 ms, and while this doesn't make the game unplayable, it is certainly noticeable and bothersome.

Is there anything i can do for a more permanent fix to this issue other than always running the VPN?

Ok now I'm starting to get "failed to connect to instance" even with the VPN :(.
Last edited by myemfar on May 4, 2015, 12:15:35 PM
If a vpn gets you on and playing where as without you can't then that is something your ISP needs to deal with as the server is fine, all the VPN dose is use a diffrent route to get there
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Just to clarify: Desync has nothing to do with the latency.
Huh, it looks like my edits didn't submit earlier >.>, I'm resubmitting the edits but basically the desynch isn't an issue anymore (which if it isn't latency based makes sense, must have been coincidence after I installed the VPN),

However the VPN no longer works, and even after trying several different VPN's I still get the "failed to connect to instance" error and booted back to the login screen randomly while switching zones.

Really confused as to what's causing it, as it's only been the last couple days and never before that, I don't use any firewalls/anti-virus other than the default windows defender and I haven't installed anything new or changed any settings on my computer. Rebooting the router did nothing, and I'm hardwired into my router so no wifi issues.

Here's a winMTR report, if that helps
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| ##.##>## - 0 | 74 | 74 | 0 | 1 | 24 | 0 |
| ##.##.## - 0 | 74 | 74 | 7 | 11 | 40 | 17 |
|xe-9-0-1-0-sur03.city.denver.comcast.net - 0 | 74 | 74 | 8 | 12 | 76 | 13 |
|ae-10-0-sur02.city.co.denver.comcast.net - 0 | 74 | 74 | 8 | 12 | 76 | 11 |
|ae-33-0-ar01.auror.co.denver.comcast.net - 0 | 74 | 74 | 10 | 16 | 74 | 15 |
|he-0-5-0-2-cr02.denver.ibone.comcast.net - 0 | 74 | 74 | 12 | 17 | 78 | 12 |
|be-11317-cr01.dallas.t.ibone.comcast.net - 0 | 74 | 74 | 25 | 29 | 38 | 27 |
| No response from host - 100 | 15 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| No response from host - 100 | 15 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| ae0.dar01.sr01.dal01.networklayer.com - 0 | 74 | 74 | 25 | 29 | 76 | 30 |
| po1.fcr05.sr06.dal01.networklayer.com - 0 | 74 | 74 | 25 | 30 | 76 | 31 |
| patch101.pathofexile.com - 0 | 74 | 74 | 26 | 29 | 74 | 30 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

first couple hosts were modified to line up the text box correctly - i dont think changing the host name should be an issue but if it is let me know
Last edited by myemfar on May 4, 2015, 12:18:24 PM
Do you only become disconnected when changing zones?

If so, that's usually an issue with firewall type stuff acting up and not allowing the server transition.
yeah it's only when changing zones, could windows firewall be the issue? (is only firewall i have) would be confusing since I haven't touched the firewall at all since installing PoE and the issue is only very recent, but I'll try disabling it when i get home and see what happens
remove and readd the exclusion/allowance of poe
"
Drakier wrote:
remove and readd the exclusion/allowance of poe

Well so far this seems to have worked, thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info