Weird FPS fluctuation/drop

Hello,

So since 2015 I am having a weird fps problem. I used to have between 120 and 100 dps in game with average graphic option (and now shadows), and 160+ with all at the minimum. I am playing in windowed fullscreen mode.

All my drivers are up to date.

Now my fps fluctuates between 12 (yes 12 fps) and 200 fps, depending on the zone and the effects.

Sometimes I have 120 fps in a zone, I go to town, and when I come back it drops to 20 fps.

Sometimes I load a zone, I get 200 fps for 10 seconds, and then it drops to 20.

Sometimes I have 200+ fps in a zone, even with tones of effects, and when I get to the next zone it goes down to 40 fps, and 15 fps with skill effects.

Sometimes I load a zone, I get 20 fps, I go back to town and go back to zone, I get back to 100 fps.

I play in windowed mode to have decent fps, and I found that changing the size of the windows just a little (bigger or smaller it doesn't matter) often fix this 20 fps problem. And there seems to be a cap where, if I get the window just a little bigger then my fps goes from 100 to 20 instantly, I don't understand.

I also can't play anymore in 1900*1080 fullscreen, even with all graphic option at the minimum, I only get 30fps, and 15 to 20 fps when I fight. I used to have 160 fps with all graphic option to minimum and 1900*1080 resolution. I need to play in 1600*900 to have decent fps (still it is only 60 to 80 dps), and it sucks.

I will post my pc config if you decide to investigate further.

-
Last edited by Zybeline2 on May 3, 2015, 2:34:38 PM
"
Zybeline2 wrote:
Hello,

So since 2015 I am having a weird fps problem. I used to have between 120 and 100 dps in game with average graphic option (and now shadows), and 160+ with all at the minimum. I am playing in windowed fullscreen mode.

All my drivers are up to date.

Now my fps fluctuates between 12 (yes 12 fps) and 200 fps, depending on the zone and the effects.

Sometimes I have 120 fps in a zone, I go to town, and when I come back it drops to 20 fps.

Sometimes I load a zone, I get 200 fps for 10 seconds, and then it drops to 20.

Sometimes I have 200+ fps in a zone, even with tones of effects, and when I get to the next zone it goes down to 40 fps, and 15 fps with skill effects.

Sometimes I load a zone, I get 20 fps, I go back to town and go back to zone, I get back to 100 fps.

I play in windowed mode to have decent fps, and I found that changing the size of the windows just a little (bigger or smaller it doesn't matter) often fix this 20 fps problem. And there seems to be a cap where, if I get the window just a little bigger then my fps goes from 100 to 20 instantly, I don't understand.

I also can't play anymore in 1900*1080 fullscreen, even with all graphic option at the minimum, I only get 30fps, and 15 to 20 fps when I fight. I used to have 160 fps with all graphic option to minimum and 1900*1080 resolution. I need to play in 1600*900 to have decent fps (still it is only 60 to 80 dps), and it sucks.

I will post my pc config if you decide to investigate further.

Hi, hm when was the last time when you changed thermal paste and cleaned fans and stuff?
They did some graphics update a while back. Post plz specs of pc :)
\o/
^^^
Last edited by RStuff on May 4, 2015, 6:35:24 AM
"
RStuff wrote:

Hi, hm when was the last time when you changed thermal paste and cleaned fans and stuff?

Hello, thank you very much for your answer. I hope this can help to figure out what is going on.

My laptop is 7 months old, never changed thermal past and/or cleaned fans.

GPU : GeForce GTX 850M

CPU : Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz

RAM : 12 GB

SSD : 256 GB

(do I need to put anything else?)

PoE is the only game I am having troubles with frame rate drops. I also play fps games or moba, everything is smooth with 100 to 250 fps.
-
Last edited by Zybeline2 on May 5, 2015, 2:43:56 AM
"
Zybeline2 wrote:
"
RStuff wrote:

Hello, thank you very much for your answer. I hope this can help to figure out what is going on.

My laptop is 7 months old, never changed thermal past and/or cleaned fans.

GPU : GeForce GTX 850M

CPU : Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz

RAM : 12 GB

SSD : 256 GB

(do I need to put anything else?)

PoE is the only game I am having troubles with frame rate drops. I also play fps games or moba, everything is smooth with 100 to 250 fps.

Try updating gpu drivers. If you live in very dusty area it could get your fans very dirty and make CPU and GPU throttle their performance down. Try checking game data for corruption. With those specs you shouldn't be problem playing. See if you have all drivers installed. Is your laptop getting hot when you get these fps drops?
\o/
^^^
I am not at home at the moment, I will try what you suggested this evening, and keep things updated. Thank you very much :)
-
"
Zybeline2 wrote:
I am not at home at the moment, I will try what you suggested this evening, and keep things updated. Thank you very much :)

No problem, just bored at work :D
\o/
^^^
"
RStuff wrote:
"
Zybeline2 wrote:

No problem, just bored at work :D

Ok, I think I found the problem xD

This is the temp of the core when idle -.-

I see that my CPU is clocked at 3.5, but the base value is 2.5, could it be this that make it so hot?

Interesting because my laptop doesn't make any noise even with those temperatures.
-
Last edited by Zybeline2 on May 5, 2015, 4:26:36 AM
Ok, I seem to have found the problem. My computer was set with a minimal throttle of the CPU to 5%, which caused the fps drops. It was also, for what ever reason i don't know, overclocked to 3.5 ghz, I put it back to the original 2.5 ghz. Temp is now stable and I can play with 60fps at all maximum graphic option.

Thank you very much, you put me in the right direction :)
-
Last edited by Zybeline2 on May 5, 2015, 11:59:30 AM
"
Zybeline2 wrote:
Ok, I seem to have found the problem. My computer was set with a minimal throttle of the CPU to 5%, which caused the fps drops. It was also, for what ever reason i don't know, overclocked to 3.5 ghz, I put it back to the original 2.5 ghz. Temp is now stable and I can play with 60fps at all maximum graphic option.

Thank you very much, you put me in the right direction :)

Great news! :)

\o/
^^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info