Thanks to the graphical update in Act 4, my Diablo 3 friends are switching over to POE

Same here. Everyone I know switched over to PoE.

I don't know how an indie dev shits all over a triple A dev...
"
Ryant12 wrote:

It's very simple. GGG actually listens to the tons of feedback and actually uses this information in their development decisions. So eventually if we voice on what works and doesn't work then GGG should here us "Whos" and steer PoE in the direction that the majority of us want. Dosen't always work but it's a huge improvement over the behemoth game companies that are catering to the stockholders and bottom line.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Arrowneous wrote:
"
Ryant12 wrote:

It's very simple. GGG actually listens to the tons of feedback and actually uses this information in their development decisions. So eventually if we voice on what works and doesn't work then GGG should here us "Whos" and steer PoE in the direction that the majority of us want. Dosen't always work but it's a huge improvement over the behemoth game companies that are catering to the stockholders and bottom line.

I guess this is the reason why so many people play D3 now, because blizzard started to listen to their players and improved the game so much, and continues to change it.
"
Genobee wrote:
This thread has been very interesting.

What I'm still curious about are the specs of those claiming to get very poor FPS. Over the years I've played PoE I have had multiple builds. Some of which were VERY cheap mid-range gaming rigs. Yet despite that I still never had any problems maintaining 60fps at those times (which was fine since I still has a 60hz back then).

Now-a-days I can nail 200-250fps steady if left uncapped with it only really dipping down during some more extreme moments. Yet still not below that good ol' 120 mark. This is running a R9 290 reference with a i5-3570k, an old HDD or four, and some other misc components I slapped together.

At one point I was even using a Clevo d901c for gaming. Still had very few issues so long as I kept myself aware of that systems limitations.

My thoughts are that these people may be running the game with hardware that is not designed to run intensive videogames. That or the computer is not in a state to be playing a game (malware, poor cooling causing throttling, etc).

It's most likely that those who are playing beta PoE 2.0 and are still having frame rate problems are probably pushing the resolution, SQ, AQ, TQ, and AF too high for their GPU/CPU combo. I run PoE 1.3.x on a modest Radeon HD 6870 (MSI Hawk) with 1 GB DDR5 RAM and an Intel core-i5 660 cpu. I've installed a big ass heat pipe cooler with dual 120 mm fans and I OC the core-i5 to 3.8 GHz and with 8 GB of DDR3-1600 memory and Windows 7 Pro PoE mostly plays without fps problems. I run windowed full screen HD with AQ=high, AQ= medium, TQ= high, and 4x AF. I wouldn't go any lower on the GPU/CPU specs though and anyone using lesser hardware should expect to have to lower their graphics settings. I think PoE benefits more from a faster dual core cpu than a slower 4 core and everyone should know that an Intel cpu runs circles around an AMD cpu in the floating point math department so maybe those who are still experiencing FPS issues are running on an AMD cpu (I quit using AMD cpus years ago but my trusty MSI Hawk Radeon HD6870 runs PoE cool and quiet).

Note: I do notice that my GPU fans rev up and are audibly noticeable at the PoE login screen and then slow down after logging in. This tells me that the rain particle effects are pushing the HD6870 heavy. That seams to confirm what many others have stated that GGG doesn't have as optimized of code for the particle effects and anyone using a video card with fewer cores will suffer slowdowns more frequently and more severely.

Edit: Also be careful of what is running in Windows in the background that steals cpu cycles. I use Eset Smart Security for my anti-virus because it has very low cpu overhead and I don't have any other background apps that rob PoE of cpu time. I can even play music with Winamp in the background playing PoE and it's smooth video in all but the most intense action in mob packs. Also make sure you run CCleaner to keep temp folder garbage from building up, run the PoE graphics (if not the whole game) out of a ram disk, and defrag your hard drive (I use IObit Smart defag) once a month.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

Last edited by Arrowneous on May 12, 2015, 5:53:16 PM
"
Ryant12 wrote:

hah! funny, all my friends jumped ship and went back to D3. Shitting all over Blizzard? hahahahaha okay.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
BAD9eR wrote:

isn't one of the reasons we play PoE , because D3 looks like hello kitty online?? So garish and childlike ,reminds me of saturday morning cartoons. That and it's a total faceroll :/ uninspired and boring ( jus my 2 pence worth )

faceroll? really? Care to link your b.net profile so we can see your awesome builds?
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
Arrowneous wrote:
Note: I do notice that my GPU fans rev up and are audibly noticeable at the PoE login screen and then slow down after logging in. This tells me that the rain particle effects are pushing the HD6870 heavy. That seams to confirm what many others have stated that GGG doesn't have as optimized of code for the particle effects and anyone using a video card with fewer cores will suffer slowdowns more frequently and more severely.

Pretty sure particles are cpu rendered, when i use gmp incinerate my fps goes down and so does my gpu load.
"
jooozek wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:

Pretty sure particles are cpu rendered, when i use gmp incinerate my fps goes down and so does my gpu load.

Doeas that include the rain in the beginning login screen from the view aboard the ship transporting the (falsely) convicted exile to Wraeclast?

"
choopk1993 wrote:
"
Hyskoa wrote:
With the lack of optimisation, I'm forced to keep the runescape graphics. So it still does look like a 2001 game.

XD, jupp the day PoE can run a constant 60fps is the day i will buy a supporter pack

Save that money to upgrade your pc
IGN: Puskurcina
"
TheWretch wrote:
faceroll? really? Care to link your b.net profile so we can see your awesome builds?

It does seem to be a common complaint I've read. I'm not sure poking individual claims for an single experience is important. Addressing why so many people have brought it up is probably more beneficial. I actually didn't notice it as being offensively easy, but then again I didn't invest thousands of hours into it, as some have.

I didn't like the feel or look of the game. I do prefer both in PoE. I don't see Act 4 as being particularly D3 like visually either. However, the number of people who enjoyed the art style and gameplay of D3 can't be ignored. Blizzard, as a company, are very good at seeing which way the wind is blowing and capitalizing on it.

D3 wasn't for me, but it clearly was something a lot of people seemed to enjoy enough to invest a lot of time into. I'm glad they enjoy it, and I'm glad PoE offers what I'm looking for. I do wish D3 also offered an experience I enjoy, but I seem to be outnumbered.

This thread is about visuals though ( I guess ). I wasn't a fan of some of the large wings added as MTX a while back, but this didn't bother me too much because during regular gameplay, I didn't have to see any. In general I am a BIG fan of the art style found in PoE.

I am NOT a fan of the art style of D3 throughout. I found it lazy. I hoped that Blizzard would try and extend themselves a bit. Falling back onto an almost identical art style of WoW with a slightly altered palette seemed...lazy. Maybe it wasn't though. Perhaps it was calculated. Perhaps it was deigned to make the huge WoW fan base feel more comfortable in D3. Migrating that huge fan base to another franchise would be very tempting. No one can argue D3 wasn't a financial success. It may be polarizing, and have received mixed response, but it will go down as a success from the perspective of Blizzard and a lot of their fans.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info