Thanks to the graphical update in Act 4, my Diablo 3 friends are switching over to POE

Game is looking so much better, look at the models for those 2 girls standing outside Highgate. Smooth.
If you stand next to a double boss Corpse-Explosion, you're gonna have a bad time. RIPKRIPP
Looks great and runs much better.

Good stuff.
there is no graphical update
One must be out of his mind to compare the graphics of this game to d3. There is a huge gap that PoE will most likely never be able to close.
"
Nighus wrote:
One must be out of his mind to compare the graphics of this game to d3. There is a huge gap that PoE will most likely never be able to close.

I think you (and a lot of people in this thread) are confusing graphics with style.

POE has a unique style that I personally consider to be superior to any other ARPG, past or present. D3 has no style- at least not one that's original in any way. Blizz has carved out their own unique personality... which appears in every modern Blizzard game. D3 just looks like Warcraft: Diablo edition. Not impressed.

Yes, the engine is superior. They made fancy animations for just about every skill. Who cares. The amount of times I was able to overlook the awful gameplay and be inspired by how fancy the character animations are in the game can be counted on one hand finger.

On the other hand, I'm consistently having fun in POE to the point where I didn't even realize that most of the animations are the same. It literally does not matter. If you're playing Path of Exile, and during combat you have time to pause and think: "ugh, the character animations are so uninspired..." You may be playing the wrong game. Hell, you may be playing all games for the wrong reasons.

/rant
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Ragnar119 wrote:
"
Reinhart wrote:
"
Augusten wrote:
Updating the graphics of the Act 1 starter area would be huge boon for the game.

I've spoken with many players who were turned off by the graphics on the Act 1 beach and uninstalled Path of Exile 5 minutes later. It's easy to say, "Well, good riddance to them.", but more players purchasing more packs is good for all of us.

Act 1 is my favourite act! You are washed ashore on the coast of some cursed mainland. It feels gritty and realistic. And a realistic setting that gets corrupted is much more convincing to the player. Why are they turned off by it?

The first time I loaded up PoE I could immediately tell that this was a game solely designed for PC.

Its because of uninterested areas. Caves and mud (that looks more like plastic by the way). Act 1 areas and diversity is very low, and generally very uninteresting after you see the same areas you see in first zone. Its the worst act in the whole game for me because of lack of anything interesting in it. I mean the prison part is the only good thing in the whole act 1.

But the areas you visit are areas you would expect when moving inland. I think it is friggin genius. In that regard PoE looks very similar to Titan Quest. The world MAKES SENSE. I know that many people prefer a game where areas are randomly tossed together, simply because they want to see shinies every 5 minutes (like COD series for example). These are the same people who dont care about the general gameplay and just want to 'play/view' a game that is actually a movie.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
TriniGamer wrote:
nobody can claim POE looks like a 2001 game anymore

I feel like I'm feeding a troll here, but who even says that? What were THEY playing in 2001?
Spoiler

Oh... right... right.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/03/grinding-gears-wilson-talks-f2p-ethics-in-path-of-exile/

"WE'VE BEEN CAREFUL WHEN DESIGNING THE GAME SO THERE'S NO PAYING FOR GAME CONTENT OR ADVANTAGE IN THE GAME", he explained. "WE'VE PURPOSEFULLY DIVORCED ANY GAME MECHANICS FROM THE MONETIZATION."
"
Antnee wrote:
"
Nighus wrote:

I think you (and a lot of people in this thread) are confusing graphics with style.

POE has a unique style that I personally consider to be superior to any other ARPG, past or present. D3 has no style- at least not one that's original in any way. Blizz has carved out their own unique personality... which appears in every modern Blizzard game. D3 just looks like Warcraft: Diablo edition. Not impressed.

Yes, the engine is superior. They made fancy animations for just about every skill. Who cares. The amount of times I was able to overlook the awful gameplay and be inspired by how fancy the character animations are in the game can be counted on one hand finger.

On the other hand, I'm consistently having fun in POE to the point where I didn't even realize that most of the animations are the same. It literally does not matter. If you're playing Path of Exile, and during combat you have time to pause and think: "ugh, the character animations are so uninspired..." You may be playing the wrong game. Hell, you may be playing all games for the wrong reasons.

/rant

I can only describe it from my viewpoint and i will try to not sound like my opinion is the ultimate truth like you do, but i care. =) The friends that stooped playing PoE because they say it "looked" boring cared.

Saying that you can pass on graphical updates when the gameplay itself delivers you enough joy to oversee these flaws is legit. But please, don´t make it sound like people don´t sharing your opinion in that matter are werdos. Their opinion that the quality on the screen and the things that are happening on that screen are important too is just as legit as yours.
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
"
rflynn74 wrote:
Guys, the game didnt improve at all. WTF are you talking about it's the same graphics engine
he is being sarcastic
"
Cadumal wrote:
"
TriniGamer wrote:
nobody can claim POE looks like a 2001 game anymore

I feel like I'm feeding a troll here, but who even says that? What were THEY playing in 2001?

Spoiler

Oh... right... right.

Damn. I remember when Max Payne came out, and thinking it looked great. Doesn't seem to have held up all that well.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info