Divination Cards - Help me Understand the Point

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I think that these cards are going to be seen as a way to target specific goals... like getting your rift.

I also think this is going to backfire. The reason games like this are popular is that there are these goals that players set for themselves. They say, either by trading or by farming, I'm going after that rift. I'll get it. It will be a goal. It will be fun because all sorts of things will give me essentially the same type of chance to get it, or currency for it.

Add cards to that and the activity is now "anything I do other than look for this specific card isn't going to be as optimal, so I have to do the same thing over and over in order to feel like I'm not wasting effort"

It will create a tunnel vision approach... that players feel forced to replay the exact same encounter in order to optimize their chances of achieving their goal.

Isn't the game already quite a bit like this though? Players always pick the best spots to farm and repeat. Even mapping it's not like I ran much other than 77 and 78 maps if I could help it...
"
Bunnu wrote:
I agree it's extremely lackluster compared to past offers such as the unique item. If I was just looking for what I get out of it I certainly wouldn't have bought a supporter pack this time around, but GGG's doing mostly great things still and I want to keep supporting them.

Yep, still want to support them. Maybe I'll just go with the Lunaris pack or two. The Divination Card thing just isn't doing it for me.

Thank you for your support, though! :)
If you have 5 out of 12 cards towards a mirror you can try to buy the rest. I think that's the main point. You don't have to wait for that lucky one in a million drop anymore, you will have a fraction of that and can use it to your advantage. Ideally this can make the whole system more flexible and dynamic.

That's why I hope that everyone who designs such a card picks items that mean something. The more of those are around the better the whole thing can work.
"
Bunnu wrote:

I agree it's extremely lackluster compared to past offers such as the unique item. If I was just looking for what I get out of it I certainly wouldn't have bought a supporter pack this time around, but GGG's doing mostly great things still and I want to keep supporting them.

Bunnu echoes my sentiments. I think the Awakening packs are the most disappointing to date, but GGG has been doing things right on almost every other front.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
"
Jojas wrote:
If you have 5 out of 12 cards towards a mirror you can try to buy the rest. I think that's the main point. You don't have to wait for that lucky one in a million drop anymore, you will have a fraction of that and can use it to your advantage. Ideally this can make the whole system more flexible and dynamic.

But how is that any different than say exalt or chaos farming?

If an item costs 12 exalts, and you have 5, you could easily trade for the remaining 7 to have enough exalts to buy that item. I still don't see the value these cards add to the game.

So are they another currency?

The more I read about these cards the more I think about pokemon or some other card game. I don't know anything about pokemon other than, "gotta catch 'em all!" which is what comes to mind with these Divination Cards.

Still not tracken....
I can understand why some people are unable to see the point of the cards, but if you ever played or like to play self found/iron man whatever then you will. You can't build around a unique at this point if you want to play self found, with the cards this is now possible. Also doesn't really need to be self found, in a new league you can trade for them, get the unique faster, etc ... Can't see the use for cards that you can trade in for common currency like regals tough.
"
DoomCloud wrote:
"
Jojas wrote:

But how is that any different than say exalt or chaos farming?

If an item costs 12 exalts, and you have 5, you could easily trade for the remaining 7 to have enough exalts to buy that item. I still don't see the value these cards add to the game.

So are they another currency?

The more I read about these cards the more I think about pokemon or some other card game. I don't know anything about pokemon other than, "gotta catch 'em all!" which is what comes to mind with these Divination Cards.

Still not tracken....

Compare it to loot tables from D2.

People farmed specific bosses because those bosses had a slightly higher chance to drop specific Uniques.

It will be similar with the cards in that you farm specific zones for specific cards (and in that for specific items).

I guess the rarity will be balanced in such a way that to get all the cards needed for a specific unique will be slightly easier than to get the item itself.

You can trade the cards you don't need and maybe buy the 1 last card you still need.

TLDR: It is supposed to help with farming specific items.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
It adds directed grind. Let's say shavs get 10 cards, ghese cards will drop inn ten specific places. You now have a way to direct your grind towards a specific item. Just like D2. I like it.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
leto2626 wrote:
I can understand why some people are unable to see the point of the cards, but if you ever played or like to play self found/iron man whatever then you will. You can't build around a unique at this point if you want to play self found, with the cards this is now possible. Also doesn't really need to be self found, in a new league you can trade for them, get the unique faster, etc ... Can't see the use for cards that you can trade in for common currency like regals tough.

Actually, that's exactly the point that makes me skeptical. When considering how important the economy is to GGG I can't see how a card can be much more common than the final item itself. Alas, I don't see how cards that trade for rarer items help solo players. As someone said before they might just be another currency item - "WTT the xth part of item y for the xth part of its value."

Now, common currency, uniques and gems are probably the area where this system might shine for people who don't trade. Because, let's face it, more common parts of already common items might actually drop in sane time intervals.
Last edited by kruemel2222 on May 1, 2015, 1:47:18 PM
Just another layer of depth to the item hunt. The more treasures to find the better imo.
i <3 minesweeper

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info