About Russian language server

"
Kellog wrote:
offloading the drudge work

Do you know why there is a region lock for PoE on Steam? GGG has no region restrictions on their own game client. Do you know why there would be a need for a Russian localization? I'm sure many Russians prefer the untranslated version. Is there a current need for low latency hosting inside Russia? I'm not sure of the answers myself, but the evidence suggests these publishing restrictions are coming from Moscow, not GGG.

I can think of a possible reason for GGG to want this separate system with a third-party-publisher, they might have inadequate payment options for Russia, since Russians don't have credit cards (and rarely paysafe, PayPal, or KarmaKoin), there might be a preference for somehow obtaining Garena "Shells". Still, that does not explain the Steam region lock.
"
Valmar wrote:
Doesn't these changes segregate the community in the future?

EU + US = fine
Asia + only Asia = fine
Russ + only Russ = fine

never drop them in the same bowl

That´s what i learned in 20 years gaming.
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
"
ionface wrote:
"
Kellog wrote:
offloading the drudge work

Do you know why there is a region lock for PoE on Steam? GGG has no region restrictions on their own game client.

No idea, I no longer use Steam. Usually, it's to stop people paying less by buying items/games from Russia. In this case, however, as other games are available without the need for separate publishers, I imagine it's locked because of whatever deal GGG made with Garena.

"
Do you know why there would be a need for a Russian localization? I'm sure many Russians prefer the untranslated version.

Probably to make the game more accessible to those who can't speak English...

"
Is there a current need for low latency hosting inside Russia?

As I've mentioned elsewhere, adding game servers to a data centre in Moscow brings nothing to the table, for people like me, who live 6500km away on the other side of the country. The difference in latency between Moscow and European servers is minimal.

"
I'm not sure of the answers myself, but the evidence suggests these publishing restrictions are coming from Moscow, not GGG.

There may well be publish restrictions for hosting directly, the laws governing the Internet are constantly changing at the present and I wouldn't blame GGG for not wanting to get involved with the manic bureaucracy.

"
I can think of a possible reason for GGG to want this separate system with a third-party-publisher, they might have inadequate payment options for Russia, since Russians don't have credit cards (and rarely paysafe, PayPal, or KarmaKoin), there might be a preference for somehow obtaining Garena "Shells". Still, that does not explain the Steam region lock.

I'm sure payment processing is a consideration, although most have Credit Cards and Paypal these days. However, other options are often favoured, such as QIWI, Yandex Money or Webmoney.

As far a Garena is concerned, perhaps they've changed their ways but I personally wouldn't go anywhere near anything they're involved with. Even with the CIS version of PoE, one has to put up with Garena+ and talk talk being installed along side and needed to start the game, it's almost like malware, just a little easier to remove.

Anyway, both GGG and Garena have stated they'll be no IP blocking, so for those who wish to remain on the global servers can do so. For new players, particularly those with only a single language, I'm sure the localised version will be quite attractive.
Last edited by Kellog on May 2, 2015, 10:53:50 PM
It's totally bullshit imho. I cant understand why there is no language selection in this game. I understand that a lot of rus players want to stick to rus community so they have not only the Russian client, but also the servers. They don't need to write English and stuff. But why isn't there an option to have the translated client for American servers?

For me as a Russian living in Europe I have a lot of friends in Russia and America/EU. But the half is playing on rus servers, the other on American servers only because the client language. This is stupid.We all could play on the same server but with different client language...
"
Raycheetah wrote:
The new PoE Russian-language version isn't so much about drawing Russian-language players away from PoE Global, as it about making PoE more generally available to new players in the Russian language market. I can't see why (except, perhaps, for server proximity) any current player of PoE Global would change to the new one. If your English language skills have sufficed to make PoE fun to play, why decamp? You'd lose your characters, gear, and also any non-Russian speaking friends and guildies you have made.

If you're here, stick around. Let the new Russian-language players (who have sufficient English skills) find out about PoE Global, and come to us. =^[.]^=

Probably very late response, but I can explain.
On russian Garena servers I'm getting average 30-50 latency, on european servers best ones are London/Frankfurt/Amsterdam and on all of them I'm getting 80-120 average latency, which is not ideal, considering how much game lags with lockstop with such latency.

On the other hand - I will never play on Garena servers, unless:
1. I can interact with players on european realms
2. I can switch to enlish VO and text

I do not particularly like russian translation and the trading on russian realms is dead - too few people for a healthy economy.
"
DemonikPath wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
The new PoE Russian-language version isn't so much about drawing Russian-language players away from PoE Global, as it about making PoE more generally available to new players in the Russian language market. I can't see why (except, perhaps, for server proximity) any current player of PoE Global would change to the new one. If your English language skills have sufficed to make PoE fun to play, why decamp? You'd lose your characters, gear, and also any non-Russian speaking friends and guildies you have made.

If you're here, stick around. Let the new Russian-language players (who have sufficient English skills) find out about PoE Global, and come to us. =^[.]^=

Probably very late response, but I can explain.
On russian Garena servers I'm getting average 30-50 latency, on european servers best ones are London/Frankfurt/Amsterdam and on all of them I'm getting 80-120 average latency, which is not ideal, considering how much game lags with lockstop with such latency.

On the other hand - I will never play on Garena servers, unless:
1. I can interact with players on european realms
2. I can switch to enlish VO and text

I do not particularly like russian translation and the trading on russian realms is dead - too few people for a healthy economy.

Sounds like Russian Garena PoE suffers from the same issue Taiwan/Asia Garena PoE does: Lack of a focused audience. In Taiwan PoE, Garena's overall portal provides access to MANY varied games, rather than being dedicated to PoE. That means that players who come to PoE through Garena may not be looking for a long-term ARPG experience, but just another game to try out. Given all the genres covered by Garena, many of those who use it may not even be interested in an ARPG, or, if they are, they may also have their attention divided between that and other games and genres. The Taiwan PoE forum was a ghost town, last time I visited, despite a fairly dedicated staff of Mods there to help and encourage new players. Problem was, out of an already small audience of PoE players, even fewer probably knew about or used the forum.

I am reasonably sure that no Garena server will ever connect to the PoE Global servers, or change from the language localization. I only hope that your PoE Global connection can somehow eventually be improved, for better latency. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info