First ever build, need some advice from the pro's

Hi there guys.
I've been dabbling about with the passive wheel, making a build, comparing it with others and adjusting it accordingly.
I've come up with this one but I am wondering whether it's gonna be a viable one.
I have not decided which skills I will be using since I've only just started playing the game.

Please give me some friendly advice about the viability of this build.

For a first build that looks fairly solid, no glaring rookie errors to comment on (though there isn't much point planning a 119 point build tbh, maybe 110 points max is a realistic endgame build).

A few possible optimisations though:
-Make sure to grab the Trickery notable in the shadow area, it's pretty potent for any crit build using added fire/hatred
-Also grab the heart of oak notable in the ranger area, life, regen and stun avoidance is all pretty nice
-Get the heartseeker cluster near the phsyical bow wheel, very strong crit nodes there
-Personally I would cut out all the DPS nodes in the top half of the ranger start area (apart from maybe the 8% attack speed node). This is optional really but you will need to cut out some things somewhere, and these are relatively sub-par nodes in my opinion. Connect with the shadow tree via the bottom ranger brance instead.
-I might not advocate getting all the evasion nodes either. Evasion is good but maybe not a priority. In any case I'd suggest prioritising the Survivalist cluster over the 3 reflexes nodes.
For try for see and for know.
IGN: Sap
Never plan a 119/120 points tree, never.
As for a tree that works well, here's one
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Thanks to Bed for the reply, your comments made a lot of sense. I cut out all the dps nodes on top but kept aspect of the eagle, seemed too good to let go.
I understand it's gonna be near impossible to get 119 points, especially as a first character, but I couldn't bear losing things so I just kept em all.
I'll just try to prioritise the best nodes first.

New one looks like this
Spoiler
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40ILu2DGY4AXtN-73rnCgqbeOv8xVb6d9d29znUMfqgn38rMHxRR5UF2cYylAiJmvFdaKbgfwLKqVuvwTOGziF2JT-r0tqNLOndDf7I4duhpI9PsTAi6ujWmyYF-XGhtQjB2KiiqvjWitQjBbUwcUt43ag6QipbwuxS7IJetUhtbOd0BiMfQQMeelNh6896shkyAVVLYeImlRa_bIxirJ2qwJzjhDY9pzSkOdCBR-Ii4hUgSn3jn4d2Z6C5fIwL7LC9NmVNvqcZtMrTR37qYnXL8-oqC3BSjb-v64w2_rp9dedUJP3_3l5FkvMV8A==
There's a reason why I say don't plan a 119 points. This is a lvl 100 or 99 tree, which you won't achieve. In addition, archers typically take Oak, Oak or Kraythin, charge or point, so you have at best 118 point. A good goal is a tree for lvl 80 or 85, that is 98-103 points.

When allocating points, count the points needed to get there to see if it's a valuable choice. For example you go for Piercing Shots, which you shouldn't unless you have Drillneck. With that quiver, these 4 points give your 34% increased damage, assuming 20/20 pierce (which will take some time to get). That is 8.5% increased damage per point which is pretty bad. It is generally advised to get at 10% per damage node. And then you see you didn't allocate those two 15% bow damage nodes in the Aspect of the Eagle cluster ;).
Additional note on Piercing shots cluster: pierce prevails on fork and chain. If you want to play split / chain, just don't take that cluster.

Your life is okay-ish only. I'd rather aim for 155-160% (see my previous tree). You skipped the Herbalism cluster which is one of the best (if not the best) life cluster in the area.

As for Survivalist you shouldn't need it, but it's ok to spec it until you cap your resistances.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Apr 26, 2015, 2:37:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info