A suggestion on a new type of league

With the five day leagues announced, I really think we need another option for those who can't (or won't) play unhealthy amounts of hours. Of course they've added the random draw which is nice, but it still doesn't allow players to be competitive in the leagues which is a shame. My suggestion is that we should have leagues based on time spent playing. Here's how it would work:

The league would take place over x days. Maybe seven or fourteen. The change here is that each character would have a maximum time played. For instance:

Forty hour - Two Weeks Race

That means you may only spend forty hours logged into that character. Once time played hits forty hours, the character is either not able to login or unable to leave town. I think it'd work best as a self found league, although maybe a trading version could be established where you are only allowed x amount of hours outside of town total.

The idea would be that each player would only have to spend less than three hours per day on average and would have a flexible schedule of time. For instance someone could spend twenty hours over the weekend while not playing at all during the week and still be competitive.

For those with more time, they could play a character and then retry on a new one. Basically the league would be based around being the fastest and the most efficient in the time that you're allowed to spend rather than being "play twenty hours/day or you don't have a chance."

It's no secret now that the leagues are dominated by those who have the time to play pretty much twenty four seven, I think it's time to give everyone a fair shot at ranking well without dedicating their lives to the game. Sorry, but twenty hours per day shouldn't be encouraged by being the only way to succeed.
IGN: Adrastos (Betrayal)

Shaper/Uber Service:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2289614
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
40 hours might still be a bit much for most people. But perhaps one could have a separate ladder for the 20 hour mark?
Well yes , they're just examples. For instance the forty hours one could be ran over a month instead with the fortnight one being twenty hours.

Shaper/Uber Service:

I'd wait to see what gets announced Monday. Chris has said things like Cutt Throat would be fun.
If you don't have time to compete for the beta key, then you probably don't have time to do much beta testing either.
Last edited by BearCares on Apr 26, 2015, 8:51:52 AM
true, but inconsequential. not only was the OP referring to being able to be competitive in the league, rather than complaining about not being able to get a key from it, but:

GGG has said that they want data from a wide swath of players. Plenty of players play less than 20 hours a week. They want casual feedback as much (if not more) than no-lifer feedback.

That being said, it's a 5-day event with a total of 120 keys given out. With the current speed of (I think) 5 minutes per countdown key, that's 600 minutes' worth of keys, or 10 hours. Since it's a 5-day event, it runs for 120 hours. So we're talking about an event which gives out less than 9% of the keys randomly given out during its duration. Not to mention that 50 of the 120 keys are randomly given out to anyone who reaches lvl 70.

In other words, the key prizes are more of a cool prize than any significant change in beta key distribution.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
I forgot about this thread honestly, anyhow the point isn't really about the keys, it's moreso that the only people who can actually compete in any league other than maybe the very short races are those who are able/willing to play for 18 hours straight.

Shaper/Uber Service:

Last edited by infinityi on Apr 30, 2015, 12:34:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info