Can We Come Up With a Better Name than 'Jewels'?

In Final Fantasy 7 they have such things known as 'Materia'.

I was thinking of something a bit more specific than 'jewels' in a game filled with gems, rings, and amulets already.

So I hopped on Google translate and just looked up some latin words!

Cor - heart
Ops - power
Spes - hope, chance, expectation
Os, larva - mask
Ovum - egg

So for example let's say you have a Special Red Jewel. Instead, you'd name it Special Red Os or Special Red Ovum.

thanks for ur time
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I agree the word jewel might be confusing. Maybe a Maori word would fit the in-game world better than a Latin word though. I can't offer any specific suggestions in that regard.
Like any new term, it will take a while for the community to adjust to it. Jewel is fine... though I do see people trying to put them in armor/weapons and wondering, just because D2's jewels could be.
Ure?
I'd like to see something Maori, and they do have some, but to be fair the vast majority of non-English derivative terms are Latin-based. Dominus and Piety, for two.

Perhaps something more descriptive like "Passive Gem" to correlate with "Skill Gem". It also has the word "passive" in it, which kind of makes sense.

We've already seen threads complaining about the confusion the name is causing, though Shags is right and it will resolve eventually if not changed.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
I agree is confusing. If you look in the Item Data page: http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data you see that the Jewellery section is to describe Amulets, Rings and Belts, but I'm pretty sure those skill "Jewels" don't go there, even though their category name suggest they should, by common sense.
Well, we have Skill Gems for skills and Support Gems for supporting those skills. These go into the Passive Tree, so why not Passive Gems?
"
Samkiud wrote:
I agree is confusing. If you look in the Item Data page: http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data you see that the Jewellery section is to describe Amulets, Rings and Belts, but I'm pretty sure those skill "Jewels" don't go there, even though their category name suggest they should, by common sense.

No, jewels are used in jewelry but jewelry does not mean jewels. Jewelry means any ring, amulet, bracelet, brooch, and other decorative and expensive items usually made of precious materials.

Jewel is a perfectly fine term. It's only confusing if English isn't your first language, and those people should know English is a botch of a language.
Seeds of the Skildrasil...let's you grow your own tree
"
CycloneJack wrote:
Well, we have Skill Gems for skills and Support Gems for supporting those skills. These go into the Passive Tree, so why not Passive Gems?

^this is exactly what i said earlier. i think that 2 people independently thinking of the same name, for the same reason, at least show that it makes sense (though that doesn't necessarily make it the best option).
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info