"Pike Rivet" is this a tribute?

Just wondering if calling the unique miner in the new act 4 mines is a tribute (if that's the right word) to the PiKe River Mine Disaster.

for those who don't know what it was
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_River_Mine_disaster

If this is the case do you think it's appropriate?
Just trying to get some discussion going on something act for that's not GGG fix this etc but am genuinely interested in your opinions
the idea is they closed the mine with workers inside of it,so it may be a reference,i don't know
"
AusterlitZ wrote:
the idea is they closed the mine with workers inside of it,so it may be a reference,i don't know

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking, but is that a bit immoral seeing it was still pretty *recent*?
i.e. too soon?
"
"
AusterlitZ wrote:

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking, but is that a bit immoral seeing it was still pretty *recent*?
i.e. too soon?

I'd think being that the Pike River mine was in New Zealand and one of their worst disasters - it is fitting to have a reference in game. It's a reminder to the world at large (at least those playing PoE) that a terrible tragedy happened and many good folk perished. Being remembered is something most people hope for, and families of the deceased often find comfort when others learn about what happened and remember those lost.

IMO - GGG's effort here is kind of like a small virtual monument - meant to honor the fallen, just like the tomb of the unknown soldier.

Maybe someday, there will be a park or something similar so that history does not forget those miners.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
"
AusterlitZ wrote:

i.e. too soon?

I'd think being that the Pike River mine was in New Zealand and one of their worst disasters - it is fitting to have a reference in game. It's a reminder to the world at large (at least those playing PoE) that a terrible tragedy happened and many good folk perished. Being remembered is something most people hope for, and families of the deceased often find comfort when others learn about what happened and remember those lost.

IMO - GGG's effort here is kind of like a small virtual monument - meant to honor the fallen, just like the tomb of the unknown soldier.

Maybe someday, there will be a park or something similar so that history does not forget those miners.

Yeah As a New Zealander I remember it pretty well, I kind of like that it has been immortalized in some way, perhaps one day we will see a park for those miners

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info