I have Trypophobia

I'm not sure exactly but for me I have an irrational fear of wasps and wasps nests. I get ill and or panic near either - and the feeling lingers for several minutes after an encounter. I guess that is a phobia?

The interesting thing is that I actually keep bees... and have 2x beehives. I'm sure it is some built in protection from danger from long ago but only very specific shapes/colors/etc. bring it out.

It is an interesting topic though. I was also bothered by some of the new mobs but not to the degree a wasp nest bothers me. [/quote]
for me i have ptsd and i get really stressed and full of anxiety in public with people around and i feel at home in nature hunting. so i can assume my mind has made a attempt to revert to instinctive nature because of events ive seen. makes sense no?
I bastardize the meaning of OCD and pretend to have it on the internet because I think its clever.
Noblesse oblige
"
"
VistaChris wrote:
"
Chrom wrote:
I've been looking at all the incoming stuff for beta and the 1 thing that stands out most are the mobs in the mines, they have a lot of holes. As a person with trypophobia it seems like this is going to be an issue.

The mobs were designed specifically to make players uncomfortable. Also, holes make most people uncomfortable. That is different than having an actual phobia.

I wonder why that is.

I bet it comes from a time, hundreds of millions of years ago when we were but little things swimming around the oceans trying to not be eaten by barnacles.

Seems logical, no?

I see a lot of holes in your theory

I will be here all week!

Try the veal!
I need a signature to look legit
As a person who thought they were desensitized to almost everything, I was surprised how disturbing I found those screenshots. I wouldn't call it a phobia though. It's just disgusting.
How can you live with your own holes?
Trypophobia is a largely unknown and unproven topic. It's something that researchers have tried to find a cause for, but they haven't gotten anything to thoroughly prove it. A general theory is the human fear of the unknown. A lot of holes that we really don't what's inside often induces this fear in people.
We can see something inside them, but we don't know what's gonna happen, because it's not a part of our species (it's not like us). It isn't like when watching an animal, you can see how it's breathing, like us. You can see it's shape is like us. With these holes we really don't know what might be inside, and therefore what might come out. It's the opposite of an egg, where things are also inside, but we can see it's shape. We are used to eggs. The holes are small, unknown -- creepy. Like spiders. One hole normally doesn't induce this kind of fear because it's known to us as a species. A hole is a part of humans too. But when there are lots of them closely together, it turns to unknown. A common reaction is spontaneous itching.
If you are used to lots of holes you develop tolerance and that's one of the main reasons some people don't feel the so-called "trypophobia".

EDIT: also, we, as humans, generally associate lots of holes with disease and such = "stay the fuck away from those things!" ...
I like many kinds of games 😊
Last edited by ArchSecter on Apr 27, 2015, 3:19:52 AM
Ever wonder why googling a phobia brings up images that trigger it?
Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.
I too have a phobia, and I believe that it is everyone else in the worlds responsibility to modify their products and behaviours in order not to trigger it.

Now that I have made you aware that I have a phobia, I expect to receive special treatment.

Post haste.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Apr 27, 2015, 3:05:01 AM
"
I too have a phobia, and I believe that it is everyone else in the worlds responsibility to modify their products and behaviours in order not to trigger it.

Now that I have made you aware that I have a phobia, I expect to receive special treatment.

Post haste.

I have intense fear of some things, but I still play games that trigger it. Why? Because it makes it tense. It's a shame that I'm beginning to develop tolerance to most of those things.

@OP
If you have a phobia, expose yourself to it in controlled doses. It will make it begin "to go away". Don't expect it to ever disappear completely. I truly believe that it's deeply impregnented in human nature and that it will therefore sometimes trigger anyway, no matter how tolerant you are. Though, it's videogame with not over the top graphics. It shouldn't be so bad as your brain will naturally perceive it as false.
I like many kinds of games 😊
Last edited by ArchSecter on Apr 27, 2015, 3:18:14 AM
Cmon the in game models with holes in them aren't hard to look at.

Sure they are creepy, along with the human centipedes and giant tumor bros, but they don't capture the feeling of looking at actual pictures of people with holes in them.

It is difficult for me to even look at the well made photoshopped pictures on google images. :S
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Last edited by Fluffy_Puppies on Apr 27, 2015, 3:13:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info