Monsters deal X% Extra dmg as (element)

So, I recently got into a debate with a friend about how this map mod works. I looked everywhere for a definitive answer, but could not find one. I only found threads filled with differing opinions. So please do not answer my question unless you know for sure that you are right, thank you.

I have read 3 different opinions on how this works.

1: It only effects physical damage, similar to hatred.

2: It effects all damage equally.

3: It effects physical damage at 25% effectiveness and elemental damage at 100% effectiveness. So if the map rolled 85% extra dmg as fire, and you got hit by 1000 elemental dmg, it would then become 1000 (element) + 850 fire damage. However if you got hit by 1000 physical damage it would become 1000 (physical) + 212.5 fire damage (850 * .25).

Now, I've always felt like option 1 is how it works, only effecting physical damage, and mechanically functioning exactly like a uber hatred (effecting phys damage from both spells and attacks). I also read a thread where people said that a dev has stated this is how it works, but could not find the source for it. Can anyone answer this question definitively for me?
Last edited by Nerdicide on Apr 20, 2015, 12:49:10 PM
I've always thought it to be 1), but I'm interested where they pulled the numbers from to think it's 3). I've never heard that one before.
It's option 1.

Conversion and Damage Based On only occur in the following order:
Physical -> Lightning -> Cold -> Fire -> Chaos

This is to prevent looping.
The relevant case here: If a monster deals x% of Fire Damage as extra Fire Damage, then his Fire Damage is now higher and thus the relative bonus increases, further increasing his Fire Damage, etc. etc.
Another example: x% of Cold Damage as Physical, combined with Hatred. Hatred increases Cold Damage -> increases Physical Damage -> increases yield from Hatred...
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It's option 1.

The relevant case here: If a monster deals x% of Fire Damage as extra Fire Damage, then his Fire Damage is now higher and thus the relative bonus increases, further increasing his Fire Damage, etc. etc.
Another example: x% of Cold Damage as Physical, combined with Hatred. Hatred increases Cold Damage -> increases Physical Damage -> increases yield from Hatred...

are you sure about that? i know about the conversion etc (and the limitation is there to prevent 'nonsensial' damage calculations on the player side)

but the map mod is a simple 'add X based on Y, and do it ONCE'. have you seen GGG comment on the map mod (not conversion, this is already confirmed and firm knowledge)? because i do not recall one and for a long time has been thinking it is number 2 actually..

but it is always a good time to learn something new
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It's option 1.

Thank you so much.
"
Emil_kof wrote:
I've always thought it to be 1), but I'm interested where they pulled the numbers from to think it's 3). I've never heard that one before.

Yeah it was a guy from my guild who said that, first time I had heard it as well.
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It's option 1.

are you sure about that? i know about the conversion etc (and the limitation is there to prevent 'nonsensial' damage calculations on the player side)

but the map mod is a simple 'add X based on Y, and do it ONCE'. have you seen GGG comment on the map mod (not conversion, this is already confirmed and firm knowledge)? because i do not recall one and for a long time has been thinking it is number 2 actually..

but it is always a good time to learn something new

Im pretty sure NeonGGG confirmed it on a stream once that its essentially an add fire/hatred style addition.

If you think about how lightning coil etc works, then look at a map mod like 30% increased monster damage is sort of makes sense, its a similar sized damage boost as 75% of the extra elemental damage is resisted vs a much lower % of the physical that its based off being mitigated. If it was added to elemental like spells it would literally double elemental damage being done which would be extreme. I think you can notice in an added fire damage map you can get crit by a cold or lightning spell and not be ignited, even though you get frozen or chilled.
Is it possible to get someone from GGG to respond to this. I do agree that it only applies to physical, but like I have said, I have literally searched EVERYWHERE and there is no definitive source stating this. It would nice to have an official confirmation.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It's option 1.

Vipermagi is correct as usual.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It's option 1.

Vipermagi is correct as usual.

Time to change the wording for clarity perhaps? There are still people in the top 50 of any given league who still believe that the damage bonus is for all damage lol.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info